BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-24-2018, 06:49 AM

Default Leg curl advice?

I'm so naive, I don't even know what's the right question to ask. Background: A few months ago, I tweaked my hamstring on the lying leg curl. It felt like a tearing sensation, but it couldn't have been that bad because it only took me a couple of weeks until I could do them again. But a less painful version of this tearing sensation keeps coming up every now and again. When this happens, I stop the set and then reduce weight for the next set. If the pain continues, I stop doing leg curls that day. I'm still not up to the poundages I had been using a couple of months ago.

Is there anything different I could be doing? Is there a common mistake people make with their feet or the placement of the pad, for example? Should I stick with really light weight and high reps? Would static stretching before lifting be of any use? Thanks in advance.
Unread 02-24-2018, 07:10 AM

Couple of important things with leg curls:

-If they were lying leg curls its really important to keep your hips on the pad. A lot of people tend to jerk the weight up and lift their hips off the pad when doing so which puts the pelvis into anterior pelvic tilt and thus puts the hammies under even greater tension
-For this reason, this isn't an exercise to go heavy on. I wouldn't ever recommend less than 8 reps. Keep your hips pushed into the pad/glutes on in the future and not too jerky and you shouldn't have any issues

In the meantime you want some relative rest (muscles normally heal pretty well on their own as long as you don't do anything stupid). Try some lying leg curls on the ground and use the other leg to resist as much as what allows you to keep your pain levels to a 3/10 or less. This has been shown to result in faster return to activity than completely avoiding pain. Then gradually build up the resistance and when returning to leg curls do them one leg at a time to highlight the strength difference.

Keep the strengthening going and focus on more eccentric stuff as the strength gets closer to being even.
Unread 02-24-2018, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the tip about the pelvis. In the past I've definitely been guilty of slamming the pad into my butt and lifting my pelvis off the bench.

When you mention lying leg curls on the ground, do you mean doing them face up with my feet on some kind of ball or thing that slides? Or are you talking about mimicking the lying leg curl by lying face down?
Unread 02-24-2018, 09:49 AM

The latter. But you can do it both ways, it's whatever.

Also common mistake with feet is dorsiflexion of the ankle, which puts tension away from hammies, to the calves. So avoid that.

EDIT: Dorsiflexion is when you point your foot towards shins. So use plantarflexion, where you point your foot away from the shins, if that makes sense.

Last edited by zLeeKo : 02-24-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Unread 02-24-2018, 05:44 PM

Thanks again, man. I hadn't thought about the dorsiflexion thing, but I'm pretty sure I've done that on some reps. I had mostly been trying to not point my toes in or out and had ignored the plantarflexion/dorsiflexion thing.

I'll give this a shot with some light weights before my upper body session on Monday.
Unread 02-24-2018, 06:15 PM

There’s literally an article for everything.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/traini...xtension.html/
Unread 02-24-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post

only everything that matters, so far
Unread 02-25-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post

He needs a rehab exercise, not that.
Unread 02-25-2018, 07:12 AM

I had seen that article, but it doesn't talk about the potential for injuring myself. Maybe it's just that I'm getting old, but I have been feeling like the lying leg curl is just one of those movements that it's easy to hurt myself on. As I said, I'll try the slightly modified form on Monday.

Does anyone think that a person in my situation should prefer a seated or standing leg curl? I have access to a Hammer standing leg curl that alternates one leg at a time, but it's at a different location than the one I currently go to.
Unread 02-25-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertCleverNameHere View Post
I had seen that article, but it doesn't talk about the potential for injuring myself. Maybe it's just that I'm getting old, but I have been feeling like the lying leg curl is just one of those movements that it's easy to hurt myself on. As I said, I'll try the slightly modified form on Monday.

Does anyone think that a person in my situation should prefer a seated or standing leg curl? I have access to a Hammer standing leg curl that alternates one leg at a time, but it's at a different location than the one I currently go to.
I like both of those. The seated one gives me the best hamstring contractions followed by the standing one. I feel you should try the standing one because it's unilateral. Don't need much weight at all.