BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-06-2018, 09:03 AM

Smile Side Lateral Raises & Face Pulls the Day after Barbell Shoulder Press and Hypertrophy

After reading on a few different sites and a couple of forum posts on here, it seems the general conclusion is that Barbell Shoulder Press is mainly an anterior deltoid exercise and only works the Medial and Posterior delts to a small degree.

I am wondering if doing Side Lateral Raises and Face Pulls the day after doing Barbell Shoulder Press will negatively affect recovery of the Medial and Posterior Deltoids and lead to less optimal muscle gain of the Medial and Posterior deltoids.

For example, I train using a full body routine 3 times per week and barbell shoulder press each session. I wanted to do some side raises and face pulls on rest days. So what I would be doing for shoulders would be:

M: barbell shoulder press
T: side raise, face pull
W: barbell Shoulder press
TR: side raise, face pull
F: barbell shoulder press
Sat: side raise, face pull
Sun:no training

Would this be less optimal for muscle gain than training medial and posterior deltoid with the the full body routine M, W, and Fri? How much less optimal?

Every full body session, shoulder press is my only pressing movement. I do no bench press. I take it that if I was to switch to some form of bench press as my only pressing movement, training side and posterior delts on T, TR, Sat would be fine, because bench press does not involve side and posterior delts?

I realize this may seem like a stupid question: why not just train side and posterior delts with shoulder press on M,W, F? the reason is that it is just more convenient for me to train side and posterior delts at home on rest days when I train neck and also do some mobility/stretching. I have a limited time to train each day, so splitting the time up more equally is more optimal for me from a lifestyle standpoint.

Also, I do not want to switch to an upper/lower split or some other split. I would like to continue to train full body 3 times per week.

Thanks
Unread 03-07-2018, 09:31 PM

It does seem like the general conclusion is that overhead press is mainly an anterior delt exercise that only works the lateral and posterior delts to a small degree. That said, I think that is only partially true and somewhat misrepresents what is actually going on.

More importantly for you is how well you recover. Overhead pressing 3x/week with side raises and face pulls an additional 3x/week? Seems an overuse injury waiting to happen.
Unread 03-08-2018, 05:50 AM

My lateral delts grew best ditching overhead and doing like..8 to 14 sets lateral raises spread over 2 to 3 days. My elbows and shoulders got icky from inclines tris then overheads so I ditched the least important. Ymmv
Unread 03-08-2018, 06:30 AM

OHP is overrated for hypertrophy and tough to incorporate into training program. Properly done upright rows and lateral raises and you should be fine.
Unread 03-08-2018, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
OHP is overrated for hypertrophy and tough to incorporate into training program. Properly done upright rows and lateral raises and you should be fine.
This
Unread 03-08-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Interesting you and Lyle say this. I find the OHP the most annoying lifts I do.

Question.

When performing upright rows are you still trying to keep your elbow to wrist sections loose? Y'know like in one arm dumbell rows where you should focus on lifting the elbow rather than lifting your hand up to ensure you do use too much biceps considering rows are back movements.

Secondly, if I was to incorporate lat raises and upright rows are upright rows a 'nothing' accessory movement like say a bicep curl or lat raise is? In the way that it'll have zero effect on recovery. Thanks.
Unread 03-08-2018, 12:05 PM

n=1.

My OHP is 180lbs(Which is also my weight) right now and it wasn't until I started doing 12 sets of lateral raises, 6 sets of rack pulls, and 6 sets of face pulls a week did I see substantial growth in my shoulders.

Forget OHP, focus on accessory work for hypertrophy.
Unread 03-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Thank you all for the input.

I do get that OHP is not as optimal as upright rows and side raises for getting bigger side/rear delts.

However, I would like to continue to OHP M, W, F.

So, my initial question still remains: Will I be limiting my gains if I OHP M,W,F and then do side lateral raises/face pulls T,TR, Sat? Will I be working the same muscles on back to back days by doing this, thereby not allowing for recovery/growth?

If this is the case, and recovery will not be optimal, would you recommend I switch to incline bench to remedy this?

Or, does OHP work so little side/rear delt that doing side raises and face pulls the day after will not affect recovery/gains?

Alphabettor did address the possibility of overuse injury with this set up (thanks for the input). Do the rest of you guys feel this is something to be concerned about?

And a new question: Upright rows the day after OHP is a bad idea from a recovery/growth standpoint because they both use the front delt, right?

Last edited by RC2018 : 03-08-2018 at 02:48 PM. Reason: make it easier to read
Unread 03-08-2018, 03:38 PM

Do whatever you're going to do regardless of our advices. Asked and answered already in this thread.
Unread 03-09-2018, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
Do whatever you're going to do regardless of our advices. Asked and answered already in this thread.
+30