BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-12-2018, 11:07 AM

Default CNS Recovery and Allowing 48 hours between Lifting Sessions

So, I have seen it mentioned online multiple places (two that come to mind are Kinobody and Jason Ferruggia's website) that for optimal recovery of the CNS and optimal performance, you need to allow 48 hours between each lifting session regardless of the muscles being trained in each session (ie it doesn't matter if each session trains different muscle groups, you still need to allow 48 hours between sessions).

How true is this? If I train Lower on Monday and Upper on Tuesday, will the performance on the upper session suffer compared to if I had allowed for 48 hours between sessions?

It would seem Lyle does not subscribe to this idea given his Generic Bulking Routine has back to back days.

If optimal CNS recovery and performance is in fact had by waiting 48 hours between any session, would it make a difference if one was training upper body two days in a row as compared to lower then upper the next day? For example: Would training back/biceps on Monday and chest/triceps on Tuesday be more acceptable from a cns recovery standpoint? does upper body have less of a draining effect on the CNS than training legs ? (It seems like it)

Last edited by RC2018 : 03-12-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Upper body back to back question added
Unread 03-12-2018, 11:28 AM

Kinobody and Jason are both Stuart mcroverts level fearmongerers who think anything beyond a couple hard sets is overtraining. Would ignore.
Unread 03-12-2018, 11:48 AM

Kinobody stole everything from Martin and Martin used to be adamant about 3x a week training. He is up to more of an upper/lower set up with GBR levels of volume these days, so Kinobody probably needs to change his recommendations to continue copying Martin.
Unread 03-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Kinobody and Jason are both Stuart mcroverts level fearmongerers who think anything beyond a couple hard sets is overtraining. Would ignore.
Nice answer to the wrong question.
Unread 03-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC2018 View Post
So, I have seen it mentioned online multiple places (two that come to mind are Kinobody and Jason Ferruggia's website) that for optimal recovery of the CNS and optimal performance, you need to allow 48 hours between each lifting session regardless of the muscles being trained in each session (ie it doesn't matter if each session trains different muscle groups, you still need to allow 48 hours between sessions).

How true is this? If I train Lower on Monday and Upper on Tuesday, will the performance on the upper session suffer compared to if I had allowed for 48 hours between sessions?

It would seem Lyle does not subscribe to this idea given his Generic Bulking Routine has back to back days.

If optimal CNS recovery and performance is in fact had by waiting 48 hours between any session, would it make a difference if one was training upper body two days in a row as compared to lower then upper the next day? For example: Would training back/biceps on Monday and chest/triceps on Tuesday be more acceptable from a cns recovery standpoint? does upper body have less of a draining effect on the CNS than training legs ? (It seems like it)
I have seen a heavy leg day impact on upper body the next, presumably due to CNS fatigue.

But it all depends on loading and other factors so no absolute commenst can be made
Unread 03-14-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
I have seen a heavy leg day impact on upper body the next, presumably due to CNS fatigue.

But it all depends on loading and other factors so no absolute commenst can be made
Thanks for the response Lyle.

Say someone was working in the 5-8 rep range predominantly, would it be a good idea to allow 48 hours between workouts?

What if someone was focusing mainly on the upper body (5-8 rep range mostly) and only doing light leg work (kind of like what Kinobody does if I recall correctly), would this necessitate 48 hours between workouts, or is the CNS fatigue mainly due to heavy leg work?

Lastly, what do you think of a 2 on 1 off upper body focused routine? Say: back/biceps, chest/delts/triceps, off and repeat indefinitely. It ends up being 5 days/week of lifting. I take it this is suboptimal from a recovery standpoint when compared to a routine giving at least 3 days off per week?
Unread 03-15-2018, 08:25 AM
Administrator

I would tend to say it's unlikely. When i have seen it, it was people going truly heavy, 5's and lower.
Unread 03-15-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
I would tend to say it's unlikely. When i have seen it, it was people going truly heavy, 5's and lower.
Just so I am understanding correctly: are you saying 5's and lower on either upper or lower body done on one day will inhibit performance the next day, or 5's and lower only for the lower body will have this effect with upper body training not really needing a day between sessions?
Unread 03-16-2018, 05:21 PM

FWIW due to having very limited training time on any given day, I have been using a 6 on / 1 off split for almost a year now. Basically, I took an upper/lower split that I was doing twice a week, and broke out arms, calves, and abs to make it a tri-split.

Day 1: triceps, biceps, calves, abs
Day 2: quads, hams, upper traps (shrugs)
Day 3: back (horizontal & vertical), chest, shoulders
Day 4-6: Repeat Days 1-3
Day 7: Off

I am 44 and sessions last 1 hour or less (not including warm-up/stretching). I have made consistent gains (when not cutting), and have not experienced any negative effects from the high training frequency (probably because overall volume did not change compared to my previous 4-day split). I was concerned that Day 3 was going to negatively impact Day 4, but that has not been the case.
Unread 03-17-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joikd View Post
FWIW due to having very limited training time on any given day, I have been using a 6 on / 1 off split for almost a year now. Basically, I took an upper/lower split that I was doing twice a week, and broke out arms, calves, and abs to make it a tri-split.

Day 1: triceps, biceps, calves, abs
Day 2: quads, hams, upper traps (shrugs)
Day 3: back (horizontal & vertical), chest, shoulders
Day 4-6: Repeat Days 1-3
Day 7: Off

I am 44 and sessions last 1 hour or less (not including warm-up/stretching). I have made consistent gains (when not cutting), and have not experienced any negative effects from the high training frequency (probably because overall volume did not change compared to my previous 4-day split). I was concerned that Day 3 was going to negatively impact Day 4, but that has not been the case.
Thanks for the input. Interesting that day 3 does not impact day 4, you really would think that that would be the case. Glad that is working for you.