BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Default Programming??

Finally cobbled together what I think is a nice little routine, and the knees are feeling pretty good so I am ready to add a full blown "leg day".

Goals are fat loss, and muscle gain, or at least to hold serve and not lose much muscle

Push

Flat Bench 5 sets of 3-8
Seated OH press 5 sets of 3-8

I ramp these sets up so the bottom set is like 6-8 top set is more like 3-4 when I get 5 I add 5lbs to everything.

Dips (assisted) 2x15
Tricep rope pushdown 3x10

Pull

Rack Pulls same set up as bench and oh press
Yates Row same

Lat pulldowns / assisted chins alternating 2x15
Some sort of curl 3x10

Legs

Light squat (want to not push it with the knees) 3x10
Straight leg deadlift 3x10
Calf Raise 3x10

every 6-8 weeks deload with 50 percent loads or take a few days off entirely.

Am I missing something with respect to programming? Or is this sufficient for a fat diabetic who wants to get in shape?

I work out 4 times a week so every week something is getting hit twice.
Unread 02-14-2013, 01:54 PM

Are you a beginner? If so you would benefit from reading some of the information on beginner programming.

If you're overweight but not a beginner, I would recommend reading some of the fat loss articles and also http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-1.html

If you're overweight then I think the most important things will be getting your diet under control and doing some reasonable weight training. Although I don't pretend to know anything about diabetes.
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:12 PM

I'm a relative beginner.. I ran that All Pro simple beginner routine for about half a year, stopped for a few months, diagnosed with t2D and got my azz back into the gym.. I've cut about 30 lbs give or take, from my all time high. I;ve read the articles re fat loss, and what I took from it, was if you had to choose either metabolic, or lifting heavy, on a cut.. and could do only 1, you should lift heavy.

My diet is pretty much cleaned up and the blood glucose is in check with a sorta Leangain approach and a low carb diet, with carbs backloaded around workouts in order to efficiently metabolize the carbs I do eat.

I have some pics in my journal.

Stats are 6'4" 256 lbs.

I went 10 weeks straight until I felt like crap before deloading, I'm thinking somewhere around 6-8 weeks I could deload before I got to that point.

My frequency would be going down a bit adding the legs because I was only alternating push and pull for 10 weeks, doing all that stuff 2x a week, with a leg day, you'd have extra rest.

Last edited by billb7581 : 02-14-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:20 AM

I don't think legs/push/pull is a bad way to go on a diet. Although you may want to read the beginning weight training articles if you haven't. Most beginner routines are 2-3 full body workouts per week.
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:55 AM

This is just me but I would ditch the calf raises. All the big guys I have seen have pretty well developed calves just by virtue of walking around with all that weight. I'd switch them out for heavy leg presses.

Anecdotal evidence for sure, but I used to work out my calves when I first got started lifting weights and never got anything out of it. I have pretty decent calves now but that is due to cycling more than anything. I don't do any type of calf raises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconNEggs View Post
I don't think legs/push/pull is a bad way to go on a diet. Although you may want to read the beginning weight training articles if you haven't. Most beginner routines are 2-3 full body workouts per week.
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM

The All Pros workout was a full body, that ground me into powder.

I have 2 bad knees and 1 bad elbow, and needed more time to recover.. I realize that a FB is optimal, but I need to split the work up just for recovery purposes..On All Pros I always had some nagging pain at some point.

All Pros was 2 working sets

Squat
Bench
Row
OH press
STLDL
Calf Raise
Curl

Start with 8 reps of your 10 RM on monday
Wed 10% less loads
Fri 20% less loads
Following week add a rep... 5 weeks later (12 reps) if you get reps across, add 10 percent to the bar.
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM

You're right, my calves are already pretty big and I always thought calf raises were stupid LOL, .