BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-05-2019, 10:30 AM

Default Extensive Daily Walking

I read this log: http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=31611 and the OP stated that not only did he not lose muscle but he gained strength and lost fat.

Quote:
Monday - 31000 steps / 2450 calories
Tuesday - 33000 steps / 2400 calories
Wednesday - 40000 steps / 2500 calories
Thursday - 34000 steps / 2250 calories
Friday - 31000 steps / 2300 calories
Saturday - 48000 steps (record) / 1550 calories
Sunday - 10000 steps (refeed) / 5250 calories
How is this possible? This kind of walking would seem to put you into a vast caloric deficit.

I can understand a 4 day ERFL, but this was weeks upon weeks.

Is there a benefit to Extensive Daily Walking for Fat Loss and Muscle Retention if you're following a high protein diet and lifting frequently?
Unread 01-05-2019, 10:51 AM

I barely get 5k my feet hurt looking at this lol
Unread 01-06-2019, 03:09 AM

Who even has TIME to walk this much?
Unread 01-07-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Who even has TIME to walk this much?
Postal workers
Unread 01-24-2019, 07:00 PM

When I lived in NYC I would almost always walk 3 miles to and from work. That plus just like the basic minimum walking to eat and use the restroom got me to 20k. I averaged about 30k over the week (though that included some running). It's really not hard to work up to that amount of walking and it took about 45 minutes one way vs 30 on the train, so the marginal time commitment was minimal.
Unread 01-26-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuinness View Post
Is there a benefit to Extensive Daily Walking for Fat Loss and Muscle Retention if you're following a high protein diet and lifting frequently?

You're really not going to lose much muscle/strength as long as you:

1) Keep protein intake sufficient. (Please note protein intake is significantly higher than normal in order to be considered "sufficient" when doing this much walking)

2) Keep cardio at a relaxed pace. There's a big difference between SLOW cardio and uptempo cardio with regards to muscle loss.

3) Maintain intensity on the bar... you must cut the volume/frequency of your lifts in order to maintain recovery in this type of calorie deficit... its usually recommended here to cut to about 2/3rd of volume/frequency which usually means 2 days a week full body engagement with 2 sets per bodypart.... but you must be lifting the same AMOUNT of weight... .i.e. if you were doing 135 pounds 3 sets of 5 reps you need to maintain 135 pounds for 2 sets of 5 reps... if you start doing higher reps youll lose muscle... if you start using less weight you'll lose muscle...

The main thing is you're going to need to listen to your body to avoid injury, hormonal crashes, and strength loss. And this is absolutely not a good idea for beginners who are totally untrained and extremely susceptible to overuse injuries.

As a beginner if you're looking to dive into some mega time consuming full routine I'd recommend supplementing your diet/exercise routine with something like yoga and mobility exercises and possibly even massage therapy.

People don't realize how much of your strength is really derived from flexibility and your ability to recruit muscle groups and utilize their full range of movement.

Strength and aesthetics are vastly improved by improving posture, flexibility, muscle group activation, etc... and mobility exercises prevent injury rather than cause them like excessive cardio does

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 01-26-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: a