BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-11-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
Yup, I was fine. Went away fairly quickly. I didn't even have to take a week off from squatting.

I am having trouble fine tuning my breathing during squats though. I take a big breath, but it feels weird when I descend, and I feel like I'm going to lose my tightness at the bottom and drop the bar.
Really? Your form does seem kind of precarious. I always go all the way to the bottom, personally, feels very safe. Maybe you should work on tightening up your upper/mid back, flexing those muscles more. Should help prevent any lower back problems, and keep you upright. I try to to imagine it as a back excersise as well, and on the way up from the bottom, think about whipping my back up as my legs bring me up.

But your levers do seem to put you at a bit of a disadvantage, seems you're sticking your butt out, but that may be hard for you to avoid
Unread 02-14-2019, 07:59 PM

By the by, it also seems you're gripping the bar when you don't have to. Your set up should be thumbless, so you are actually just holding the bar in place and keeping yourself upright by how you contract your upper back and have your elbows elevated to the correct degree. That could help. Breathing is no big deal, really, you shouldn't lose tightness on account of breath
Unread 02-15-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Maybe you should work on tightening up your upper/mid back, flexing those muscles more. Should help prevent any lower back problems, and keep you upright. I try to to imagine it as a back excersise as well, and on the way up from the bottom, think about whipping my back up as my legs bring me up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
By the by, it also seems you're gripping the bar when you don't have to. Your set up should be thumbless, so you are actually just holding the bar in place and keeping yourself upright by how you contract your upper back and have your elbows elevated to the correct degree. That could help. Breathing is no big deal, really, you shouldn't lose tightness on account of breath
Your recommendation for tightening my upper/mid back was spot on. It seemed to correct everything when I tried this yesterday. It even made the weight seem a lot lighter. Everything felt tighter.

Kind of odd I never thought to tighten my back before. I've read it in the past, it was just never anything I focused on.

Yesterday I focused on keeping my back tight, and also scapular retraction. This seemed to hold everything in place and take any stress off of my lower back, and keep me upright. I might also buy better shoes for squatting.

Thanks for the tip, it was more tiring because of the extra work on my back, but that's ok. Extra work is welcomed.
Unread 02-15-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I might also buy better shoes for squatting.
Do and you'll never go back. It's hard to appreciate until you've tried it. Especially if you push your knees out the way you're supposed to. I can't squat in my street shoes anymore, without feeling like my foot is going to slide off the soles (if that makes any sense). The difference is very very noticeable.

You might want to try (for size / fit) before you buy, though. I bought mine in the same size I buy all my shoes in, and feel like I probably should've gone down half a size.
Unread 02-16-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Your recommendation for tightening my upper/mid back was spot on. It seemed to correct everything when I tried this yesterday. It even made the weight seem a lot lighter. Everything felt tighter.

Kind of odd I never thought to tighten my back before. I've read it in the past, it was just never anything I focused on.

Yesterday I focused on keeping my back tight, and also scapular retraction. This seemed to hold everything in place and take any stress off of my lower back, and keep me upright. I might also buy better shoes for squatting.

Thanks for the tip, it was more tiring because of the extra work on my back, but that's ok. Extra work is welcomed.
Great! I'm glad it helped
Unread 02-16-2019, 12:16 PM

If you found that tightening your back and staying more upright made the weight feel lighter you will probably appreciate this video as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-mhjK1z02I
Unread 02-20-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty McFatso View Post
Do and you'll never go back. It's hard to appreciate until you've tried it. Especially if you push your knees out the way you're supposed to. I can't squat in my street shoes anymore, without feeling like my foot is going to slide off the soles (if that makes any sense). The difference is very very noticeable.

You might want to try (for size / fit) before you buy, though. I bought mine in the same size I buy all my shoes in, and feel like I probably should've gone down half a size.
Any suggestions for shoes?
Unread 02-20-2019, 03:00 PM

you look too upright to me...i can see why your back is hurting... i dont like your head position at all.... have you tried low bar squatting? This would alleviate a lot of back problems

you want to look a lot further downward... pick a spot on the floor about 20 feet away and set your stare there...

it looks like you are just going straight down... trying sitting back and then going down....

a good cue would be

out & down...out & down...out & down...

pull up the book "Starting Strength" and then look at his back angle on the cover compared to yours

your back is almost perfectly vertical and we really want it to be closer to horizontal at the bottom. This will help you achieve a lot better balance and depth too.

We want the bar to be more in line with center of gravity...

My recommendation is to drop the weight and work on getting just below parallel on your depth... in the long run your knees will thank you... because right now at that depth you aren't engaging your hamstrings much so its more of a thigh workout... having stronger thighs and weaker hamstrings is not an imbalance that is good for your knees

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 02-20-2019 at 03:08 PM. Reason: a
Unread 02-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
you look too upright to me...i can see why your back is hurting... i dont like your head position at all.... have you tried low bar squatting? This would alleviate a lot of back problems

you want to look a lot further downward... pick a spot on the floor about 20 feet away and set your stare there...

it looks like you are just going straight down... trying sitting back and then going down....

a good cue would be

out & down...out & down...out & down...

pull up the book "Starting Strength" and then look at his back angle on the cover compared to yours

your back is almost perfectly vertical and we really want it to be closer to horizontal at the bottom. This will help you achieve a lot better balance and depth too.

We want the bar to be more in line with center of gravity...

My recommendation is to drop the weight and work on getting just below parallel on your depth... in the long run your knees will thank you... because right now at that depth you aren't engaging your hamstrings much so its more of a thigh workout... having stronger thighs and weaker hamstrings is not an imbalance that is good for your knees
Maybe try to get your squat above one plate before you start doling out advice.
Unread 02-20-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions for shoes?
I've worn the Adidas Adipowers for years and have liked them, but there are a lot of good ones out there. Rogue is one website that has a lot, and they even have some Do-Wins for as cheap as $76, and a lot of people really like them. But it's really a personal preference thing, some people even prefer flat soles.