BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-11-2019, 04:09 PM

Default Generic Bulking Routine

Hi guys I'm Fairly new to lifting so some things I may say in this may be incorrect so excuse me please 😂 I was just wondering that in the Genereic Bulking routine it says to work squats and deadlifts on the same lower day? If I'm not mistaken wouldn't doing two compound movements in the same workout limit what you can do? For example if you did squats first you would struggle to lift heavy on the deadlift after? Also I was wondering if on my off days I should add some ab workouts? Or are abs being indirectly hit from the plan already? Also on the upper day would doing one chest exercise be enough?, As on the plan you start off with flat bench and then get the option to move to either incline bench or shoulder press, but because shoulders are lacking on the plan I have been doing shoulder press instead of incline bench so there is not much chest in the plan?

All replies are truly appreciated, thanks!
Unread 01-12-2019, 07:01 AM

It’s just a template so change exercises as it suits you. Even in the template though Lyle says to squat and then do Romanian deadlifts, not conventional. They’re two very different types of deadlifts.

I throw in some abs stuff during my calf sets rest periods to save time.

Option 2 for shoulders is to do the 2 chest exercises and then throw in some laterals and face pulls after all that or do what you are. Again it’s a template.
Unread 01-16-2019, 09:44 AM

Thanks you very much for the help LightCrow!
Unread 01-26-2019, 02:45 PM

I think doing Squats/Deadlifts on the same day is fine...

I would recommend putting an upper body exercise in between the two... that way it gives you a little more recovery time after squats before you go perform deadlifts...

Also every so often i will switch the order of the workouts and go perform deadlifts first...

On these days I always go lighter on squats and do more reps though just to be on the safe side. Basically make it a deload day.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.