BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-16-2010, 03:14 PM

Default New Thread, but Repeat - Book Suggestions

I posted a similar thread under the General Training Questions, which was my first mistake, and didn't get a whole lot of feedback. I did get a few and I appreciate those that made suggestions. I thought I would try in under this forum, since it seem to be better fit for the topic. I apologize for the repetitiveness.
I am looking for some good suggestions for books, I am finding it hard to separate the good stuff from the crap, so I thought I would get some opinions. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and I am looking forward to the responses. Thanks in advance.
Unread 02-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Administrator

I'm a big fan of the Curious George books.

Which is a way of saying that you might get better input if you ask a more specific question than 'what are some good books'? What topic, what focus, what are you actually looking for within the category of 'books'.
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:08 PM

Sorry for being vague. I am interested in concepts in training for muscle gain, general nutrition (fundamentals, roles of nutrients in human nutrition), and weight training techniques. This should be a good start. Since I am a newbie, what books would you recommend that I start off with. If I wanted to learn the fundamentals, where would be a good place to start. I hope this helps.
I have recently started reading some of Venuto's stuff - Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle and I recently ordered Body Fat Solution.
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:37 PM

I don't think anyone responded because there is already a pretty extensive thread on this.
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:39 PM

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showt...ghlight=zebras
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:42 PM

I think my first diet book was Lyle's Keto book and it is a great book. I must have read it from cover to cover about 4 times and constantly refer to it.

I even learned a lot about exercise physiology in that book and a great deal on cardio since I knew nothing about it.

As far as training I liked The Poliquin Principles, Optimal Muscle Training by Dr. Ken Kinakin and Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier.

However, most of my training stuff I learned from reading online and trial and error. For years I did a Push, Pull, Leg split and had great results then I moved towards Dorian Yates type of training (learned from Flex magazine and his DVD) and now I like the Doggcrapp training.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/17978-n...ed-pt-2-a.html

It might be worth learning about Hypertrophy Specific Training as well and if you are really new and interested in strength check out Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

Arnold Schwarzenegger's The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding was an interesting book but DONT FOLLOW THE ROUTINES... I like the 100's of pages showing various exercises it's good to give you ideas for variety and I like the psychological aspect of competing and practical types for posing, etc.. but DONT FOLLOW THE ROUTINES...

I also liked Christian Thibaudeau - Dr.jekyll & Mr.hyde but be warned there are chapters that discuss drugs so if you are easily offended you might want to skip this one.

I also like the bodybuilding DVD's great motivation when doing boring cardio.
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I'll definitely check these out. I will also take a look at that thread.