BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-06-2017, 05:08 AM

Hi everyone,

First of all I am sorry to disturb you for asking questions that may have been asked 1000 times but I've carefully read the first 50 pages of this topic + the FAQ and couldn't find answers.

Currently I'm running PHAT, but as I can only workout from mon to fri I'm dying under the I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.load of volume and no rest day during the week. I've been weight lifting for more than two years now (but most of the time doing a bro-split believing the gym protagonists science...) now I'm thinking that this Generic Bulking Routine could be nice to me because in the end all I want is being jacked & tanned

Now I'm weighting 80kg, and lifting 3x5@160kg squat, 3x5@140kg deadlift, 3x5@95kg bench, pendlay row 3x5@90kg and ohpress 5x5@60kg.

I plan to use the routine like this :
Low1
Deadlift 3-4x5
Lg press 3-4x6-8
Leg curl 2-3x10-12
Leg ext 2-3x10-12
calf raises 3-4x6-8
seated calf 2-3x10-12

Up1
Flat bench 3-4x6-8
row 3-4x6-8
overhead press 2-3x10-12
chinups 2-3x10-12
face pull 3x8-12
skullcrushers 1-2x12-15
ez bar curl 1-2x12-15

low2
squat 3-4x6-8
SLDL 3-4x6-8
leg press 2-3x10-12
leg curl 2-3x10-12
calf raises 3-4x6-8
seated calf raises 2-3x10-12

up2
flat bench 3-4x6-8
row 3-4x6-8
inclined bench 2-3x10-12
pullups 2-3x10-12
facepull 3x8-12
cable triceps extension 1-2x12-15
ez bar curl... or hammer maybe 1-2x12-15

So basically the standard routine with face pull added

1) About the rowing, I read about narrow grip underhand grip on one post, but is it ok for me to do bent over row (with overhand grip shoulder width) ?

2) How to know if I have to switch flat bench & row by inclined bench & pullups on upper 2 ? wouldn't I make better progress by doing heavy bench press & row twice a week ? (if the goal is progressive overload at least I should up on these exercises)

3) I took one day of OH / chinups and one day of inclined / pullups because I found it more "balanced" but is it ok to do only inclined ? (because if I just do the same exercises I have the feeling that I will progress faster on them... but I don't want to get an imbalanced physique)

4) For the DL/leg press choice I took it because I like deadlifting even if I'm bad at it, is it ok like this ? or should I do the same pattern on both low day (being DL/leg press or squat sldl)

Thanks if you can provide answers, and sorry for my french-english
Unread 01-09-2017, 04:02 AM

Hey guys,

Ive completed 3 bulking cycles on this routine now and im wondering which part of a cycle would be the best place to insert 1-2 weeks of PSMF.

As far as I could imagine there are 3 options:

1) Always complete a full cylce of 4 weeks max + 2 weeks submax and then perform the PSMF at max weigth intensity.

2) Do 4 weeks max then skip deload and to PSMF with max weights instead (with lowered volume)

3) ???

Thanks!
Unread 01-09-2017, 09:58 AM

A diet seems inconsistent with a bulking program, don't you think? Given this, option 1 seems the best. Complete the cycle, do your diet for 1-2 weeks, resume bulking if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabber View Post
Hey guys,

Ive completed 3 bulking cycles on this routine now and im wondering which part of a cycle would be the best place to insert 1-2 weeks of PSMF.

As far as I could imagine there are 3 options:

1) Always complete a full cylce of 4 weeks max + 2 weeks submax and then perform the PSMF at max weigth intensity.

2) Do 4 weeks max then skip deload and to PSMF with max weights instead (with lowered volume)

3) ???

Thanks!
Unread 01-10-2017, 09:26 AM

Hi again, as I did not get an answer on my first post, I think I will do a shorter one repeating the question that is interesting me the most

2) How to know if I have to switch flat bench & row by inclined bench & pullups on upper 2 ? wouldn't I make better progress by doing heavy bench press & row twice a week ? (if the goal is progressive overload at least I should up on these exercises)

And sorry for employing a bad word in my first post.

Thanks if you can provide me an answer

And just an additional question : what seems the most efficient rep range if I want to add lateral raises on the workout ?
Unread 01-10-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyromanXP View Post
Hi again, as I did not get an answer on my first post, I think I will do a shorter one repeating the question that is interesting me the most

And sorry for employing a bad word in my first post.

Thanks if you can provide me an answer

And just an additional question : what seems the most efficient rep range if I want to add lateral raises on the workout ?
Its really not going to make a huge difference if you switch out the order of exercises. The incline will just hit your delts a bit harder than chest, so if you want more delt work you could go that way. Sort of the same for the rows, since you have back work in both vertical and horizontal planes (rows and pullups/pulldowns), you have the bases covered. Order probably won't matter a lot here. As you get more advanced you might want to change out things a bit more, like incline bench and close grip bench on upper 2, and perhaps all rowing on one upper day and all vertical pulling on the other upper day. But really we aren't talking major changes here that will cause huge impact on progress.
Unread 02-06-2017, 01:17 AM

Hello. Often seen on the Internet this training program, but i though it's Lyle McDonald's program. As I understand it is not so?
Is this program actual for natural training?
Unread 02-15-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neytle View Post
Hello. Often seen on the Internet this training program, but i though it's Lyle McDonald's program. As I understand it is not so?
Is this program actual for natural training?
As far as I'm doing it I think it's a very good compromise between enough volume and decent strengh progress to allow progressive overload.

Anyway I just read again the Q&A from lyle regarding GBR for cutting :
Quote:
4.1 I want to cut on this routine. How to?
http://monkeyisland.lylemcdonald.com...&postcount=383
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd
IMO, any training that works for bulking works for cutting but yes, you can/may need to cut the
volume (and or frequency), but maintain intensity (weight on bar).
So rather than 4 sets of 6-8 + 2-3 set of 10-12 when you had plenty of food to recover from, you
dro back to 2 sets of 6-8 and 1 set of 10-12 but try to keep the weight on the bar.
What you really don't ever want to do is lower the weight on the bar. That's a fantastic way to
lose muscle.
as mentioned endlessly, you can maintain most biomotor capacities with a 2/3rds reduction in
volume and frequency but ONLY if you maintain intensity.
Does it mean that for cutting you have to forget the "cycling part" (deloading every 6-8 week) and just keep working with maxes for every exercises even after the 8 weeks ?
Unread 02-24-2017, 02:00 PM

I would like to incorporate power clean into my training program. Should I do it in place of a posterior chain movement?

Tuesday/Friday:

Option 1.
Power Clean 3x3-5
Squat 3x3-5
Leg Curl 3x8-12
Leg Press 3x8-12
Calf raise 3x8-12
Seated calf 3x10-12
Abs.

Option 2.
Power Clean 3x3-5
Squat 3x3-5
Hip Thrust 3x8-10
Leg Press 3x8-10
Leg Curl 3x8-10
Calf raise 3x8-10
Seated calf 3x10-12
Abs.

Which option do I choose?
Unread 07-12-2017, 12:01 PM

Has anyone used this basic training template using a recomposition diet (+20%/-20% for training/rest days).

If so, how did it work for you? Did you make any alterations?

My thoughts were that volume might need to be dialed back slightly.
Unread 07-12-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist Accountant View Post
Has anyone used this basic training template using a recomposition diet (+20%/-20% for training/rest days).

If so, how did it work for you? Did you make any alterations?

My thoughts were that volume might need to be dialed back slightly.
I believe general consensus is that recomposition diets like you have are a great way to spin your wheels. You need a very structured program to accomplish recomp like UD2.