BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-01-2017, 04:19 AM

Not that I doubt but just out of curiousity, why 6-8 rep range on Squat and Bench Press? I thought 5 was the way to go
Unread 09-01-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LioRiX View Post
Not that I doubt but just out of curiousity, why 6-8 rep range on Squat and Bench Press? I thought 5 was the way to go
The way to go for what? Think of rep range as a continuum. Sets of 5 are not that much different than sets of 6-8. The latter gives you a bit more volume, and generally a little less joint stress but again the difference is incremental.

Remember that it's a bulking (hypertrophy) program and designed as such. That said, if you wanted to use sets of 5 sometimes to get some heavier work/move things slightly toward the strength side of things, that is obviously fine.
Unread 09-01-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
The way to go for what? Think of rep range as a continuum. Sets of 5 are not that much different than sets of 6-8. The latter gives you a bit more volume, and generally a little less joint stress but again the difference is incremental.

Remember that it's a bulking (hypertrophy) program and designed as such. That said, if you wanted to use sets of 5 sometimes to get some heavier work/move things slightly toward the strength side of things, that is obviously fine.
Thank you for answering.
Actually my main goal is, too, hypotherpy.
But from all the reads lately I've inferred that hypotherpy (other than eating right) happens with progressive overload, and that the best way to overload is by using the 5 rep range as it's easier to get stronger that way. I understand that it doesn't matter this much, but to get this, if my goal is hypotherpy shouldn't I aim to be getting stronger? I think it's harder to increase weights with 6-8 reps

Last edited by LioRiX : 09-01-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Unread 09-01-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LioRiX View Post
Thank you for answering.
Actually my main goal is, too, hypotherpy.
But from all the reads lately I've inferred that hypotherpy (other than eating right) happens with progressive overload, and that the best way to overload is by using the 5 rep range as it's easier to get stronger that way. I understand that it doesn't matter this much, but to get this, if my goal is hypotherpy shouldn't I aim to be getting stronger? I think it's harder to increase weights with 6-8 reps
You can do both. Couple sets of 5 couple sets of 6 to 8 ciuple 8 to 12 etc
Unread 09-01-2017, 11:53 AM

The basic idea is this..

There are 3 lifters... all are at the same weights now. Let's say they squat 135x5, bench 135x5, and Deadlift 135x5 just for ease of argument....

For the next three months they select a weight on the bar so each workout One lifter lifts 3 sets of 5, one does 3 sets of 8, and one does 3 sets of 12...

After 90 days the guy doing sets of 5 is going to be lifting a massive amount of weight comparatively... let's just say he's doing 265x5 squat, 205x5 bench, and 315x5 Deadlift.

The 8 rep guy will have made moderate strength gains...

And the 12 rep guy will have made minimal strength gains...

The sets of 5 guy will be much bigger than the other 2 guys even though he wasn't lifting for "hypertrophy".

Then he can switch over to a "hypertrophy" range of 8 reps and down the line 10-12 reps. Again he will make incremental size gains much faster than the other guys can since he will be lifting significantly more weight for 8-12 reps than the guys who never bothered to make their initial strength gains can.

You always want to focus on becoming strong first, well before you worry about training for hypertrophy. Otherwise your gains will be slow as crap

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 09-01-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: A
Unread 09-01-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
The basic idea is this..

There are 3 lifters... all are at the same weights now. Let's say they squat 135x5, bench 135x5, and Deadlift 135x5 just for ease of argument....

For the next three months they select a weight on the bar so each workout One lifter lifts 3 sets of 5, one does 3 sets of 8, and one does 3 sets of 12...

After 90 days the guy doing sets of 5 is going to be lifting a massive amount of weight comparatively... let's just say he's doing 265x5 squat, 205x5 bench, and 315x5 Deadlift.

The sets of 5 guy will be much bigger than the other 2 guys even though he wasn't lifting for "hypertrophy".

Then he can switch over to a "hypertrophy" range of 8 reps and down the line 10-12 reps. Again he will make incremental size gains much faster than the other guys can since he will be lifting significantly more weight for 8-12 reps than the guys who never bothered to make their initial strength gains can.

You always want to focus on becoming strong first, well before you worry about training for hypertrophy. Otherwise your gains will be slow as crap
Its better to do them concurrently or you lose adaptations. Eg you'll losse some strength generates during 5 rep phases during 8 to 12. So...better approach is to prioritize 5 reps for couple months with couple sets of 8 to 12 then prioritize 8 to 12 for couple months with couple sets of 5s...etc

5x5 w28-12
25 and 4x8-12

Etc
Unread 09-01-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
The basic idea is this..

Thanks! That was exactly what I thought after my reading. However, why did Lyle suggest doing 6-8 rep ranges for such compound movements like Squat and Bench? Shouldn't 5 rep sets be better?
Unread 09-01-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
The basic idea is this..

3x5 is usually too little volume for optimal progress and sometimes any progress at all. Even 3x8 is kind of on the low side of things although that depends on a lot (how advanced someone is, what kind of assistance work they're doing, etc. etc. etc. Even the lift matters a lot e.g. hard 3x8 deadlifts might break somebody.)

The "LPs" can get away with 3x5 because they usually involve beginner lifters, and usually the squat is usually done 3x/week and first in the workout. You can get far on 9 hard sets a week especially when prioritized first every workout. Pay attention to progress reports though-- bench press and press often stall fairly quickly and part of the reason is 3x5 every ~5th day just doesn't get it done for very long, even with the overlap.

I don't really know where you got where you wrote. Take identical twins who can bench press 3x8x135 or 3x5x150, which are comparable numbers for hard sets. Each twin progresses from there... I think the difference is marginal either way but surely favors the 3x8 twin in size and likely eventually strength as well, although it may take a period of intensifying to equalize/surpass the other.
Unread 09-01-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
3x5 is usually too little volume for optimal progress and sometimes any progress at all. Even 3x8 is kind of on the low side of things although that depends on a lot (how advanced someone is, what kind of assistance work they're doing, etc. etc. etc. Even the lift matters a lot e.g. hard 3x8 deadlifts might break somebody.)

The "LPs" can get away with 3x5 because they usually involve beginner lifters, and usually the squat is usually done 3x/week and first in the workout. You can get far on 9 hard sets a week especially when prioritized first every workout. Pay attention to progress reports though-- bench press and press often stall fairly quickly and part of the reason is 3x5 every ~5th day just doesn't get it done for very long, even with the overlap.

I don't really know where you got where you wrote. Take identical twins who can bench press 3x8x135 or 3x5x150, which are comparable numbers for hard sets. Each twin progresses from there... I think the difference is marginal either way but surely favors the 3x8 twin in size and likely eventually strength as well, although it may take a period of intensifying to equalize/surpass the other.
But would 8 rep sets be actually easier to make progress with than 5 rep sets?
I understand progressive overload plays the most part on someone's hypotherpy, but I thought 5 rep sets were easier to progress with.
Unread 09-01-2017, 03:50 PM

Jesus christ