BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Guide to Flexible Dieting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-23-2016, 01:52 PM

Default New to this site and GFE. 41, Male, BF Cat 2, activity Cat 1

I just finished reading the guide for the second time and I'm left with a few questions that I'm either missing in the book, or it's not discussed but I'm guessing info overload and I'm just not catching it. To provide some history;

I work 2 jobs, one physical, one sort of physical (lots of driving). I work about 70 hours a week, long shifts. I am required at one job to work out on shift so every 3rd day I do about 45-60 minutes of supersets with heavy weights, then walk a mile or so on the treadmill. Other than that, no structured workout, I'm just busy.

Using the numbers in the guide to set daily calories, I came up with 1800 calories as my daily goal. Thats ironic because for the past 8 months I have been using the zig zag method with saturday being my weekly average of 1800 calories (40/35/25). I lost 25 lbs and put on about 10 lbs of muscle, got stronger across the board, conditioning went up as well stomach issues got much, much better. Overall, very solid progress and I'm happy with that even if the daily calorie fluctuation was less than simple for awhile. I never did plan a weekly refeed or cheat, they would just happen at birthday parties and holidays, etc. Then 4 months ago it stopped working. Now, I still have a decent amount of body fat to lose so this is in no way a result of me being too lean and it just being tough to lose that last few lbs. I adjusted down for a month, no change in weight or body comp. I adjusted up for a month, no change in weight or body comp. I tried Keto for 6 weeks and had a miserable experience with my stomach. *Side note - From 2009-2013 my life was VERY high stress with chronic horrible food and it did a real number on my entire digestive system. It took a year of probiotics and yogurt, prescribed meds, greatly reduced food variety (9 foods total), lots of other stuff I wont bore you with to get my digestive track back to something close to normal and Keto never did work right for me. (I'm not here to discuss keto, it didn't work with my gut and I will not go back on it)

SO, What I'm trying to figure out is the macros. I personally do well when I have a fit day account laid out for a week with food amounts, macro breakdown and I can see an entire week planned. It's worked great so far but I have been missing out on a lot of life not being able to eat like others. I discovered this guide and would like to incorporate that to improve my social/family life. IF I am doing this correctly, I would cut 10-20% off of the 1800, have one reward meal on say, wednesday nights, and then a 5 hour refeed window on Sunday. That works GREAT with my work and family schedule. What I don't know is how best to set my macros. I like lower carb but not keto low.

Question 1) Are my calories set at 1800 correct?

Question 2) How would my macros change?

Question 3) I need a minimum of 100 grams of carbs per day when dieting in a deficit, correct?

I liked what I read in the guide but admit I was left confused as to how to plug the entire thing together. I realize this may be rather simple to those of you with more experience so I apologize if my question is answered in the guide, I tried to find the answer and am just missing it I think. Thank you in advance for any assistance you are able to provide.

Last edited by Rykertest : 01-23-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Unread 01-26-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykertest View Post

Question 1: Are calories at 1800 correct?

Question 3) I need a minimum of 100 grams of carbs per day when dieting in a deficit, correct?
1: no way to answer this question as you haven't stated your body weight.

2: do what you want with the macros, provided you've set protein high enough to be muscle sparing and carbs high enough to avoid ketosis. Focus on numbers rather than percentages.

3: 100g of carbs is not some magic minimum dietary requirement, but is typically the minimum to avoid ketosis. Higher carbs will improve energy and performance. Easy to get 100g worth as they're so abundant in foods.

General comment: I've heard others say that they've found this book hard to 'put together'. I guess that's because it's a loose guide rather than a spoon feed. I never really had that reaction myself, because I just used it as a valuable adjunct to the knowledge base I already had. This is honestly the best way to use it.
Unread 01-26-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post

2: do what you want with the macros, provided you've set protein high enough to be muscle sparing and carbs high enough to avoid ketosis. Focus on numbers rather than percentages.

3: 100g of carbs is not some magic minimum dietary requirement, but is typically the minimum to avoid ketosis. Higher carbs will improve energy and performance. Easy to get 100g worth as they're so abundant in foods.

General comment: I've heard others say that they've found this book hard to 'put together'. I guess that's because it's a loose guide rather than a spoon feed. I never really had that reaction myself, because I just used it as a valuable adjunct to the knowledge base I already had. This is honestly the best way to use it.

Hello Peter, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I'll answer your answers with the same corresponding numbers below.

1) Weight is 195. I'm 5'8", male, 41. I used an activity factor of 11 and came up with 2145 maintenance calories so I set my daily caloric intake at 1800 to be in a 345 calorie deficit each day. I'll have to refer back but I think I'll need to reduce that to 1645 for 1 lb of fat loss per week?

2 and 3) I'll wrap these both up in the same answer since they're related. - I went back thru the guide this weekend and did the math and came up with these numbers - P/131 Grams - C/197 Grams - F/88 Grams.

I had a dexa scan a few months back that showed a LBM of 131 lbs so I'm rather "husky". lol I found the book to be a good read but I kept sensing I was missing some part of the calculations. Maybe I still am, maybe you can shed some light on that.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply and assist me. Have a good day.
Unread 01-29-2016, 07:09 AM

hhmmm....well, whatever I'm doing is not working. I don't weigh myself very often but as I was getting dressed this morning my clothes felt tighter and not in a good way. I took them off and weighed myself and I've put on 4 lbs in two weeks. Thats irritating.
Unread 02-11-2016, 04:21 AM

Quote:
hhmmm....well, whatever I'm doing is not working. I don't weigh myself very often but as I was getting dressed this morning my clothes felt tighter and not in a good way. I took them off and weighed myself and I've put on 4 lbs in two weeks. Thats irritating.
You haven't managed to create a calorie deficit. Best to reformulate and try again.
Unread 02-19-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
You haven't managed to create a calorie deficit. Best to reformulate and try again.
Peter, thanks for your help. I think I'll go another route, I obviously have no clue what I'm doing. This forum doesn't seem to be very active and I have a few questions. I assume you're not paid to answer and were just being helpful and that is appreciated.
Unread 02-20-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Peter, thanks for your help. I think I'll go another route, I obviously have no clue what I'm doing. This forum doesn't seem to be very active and I have a few questions. I assume you're not paid to answer and were just being helpful and that is appreciated.
I'm happy to help. If you're a bit clearer I'll point you in the right direction.
Unread 03-10-2016, 07:14 PM

Hi Peter, any help is appreciated. I got hit with a very busy month and am just now getting back with you.

I'm down to 1500 calories and weight is unchanged as is body comp. I'm not sure if it's safe to go any lower and I'm hungry quite often as it is. My performance at the gym is decent and I'm not feeling lethargic but something is wrong.

You suggested I recalculate to create a greater deficit but geesh, a grown man shouldn't be eating 1100 calories a day. I'm not sure which direction to go.
Unread 05-11-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Question 1) Are my calories set at 1800 correct?
Setting calories are estimates, so who knows. You have to try it out and see for yourself. No one can give you a solid answer on that.

Quote:
I am not sure if I am understanding your question. Why would you macros change? Just do your regular diet plan and incorporate some free meals and refeeds (as specified in the book).

Quote:
This is also kind of a weird/vague question. Why would you need 100g of carbs a day? It has been a while since I read the book and I do not recall any specific dietary recommendations such as eating 100g of carbs a day.

You did mention a low carb diet. If that is what you prefer to do. I prefer low carb as well. I believe that macros are highly overrated. No one eats one specific macronutrient. We all eat carbs,proteins, and fats. In only a few situations I recommend keeping track of macros.

If you are a competitive athlete, if you are hungry on your meal plan. If you are hungry on your meal plan you should pay attention to your fiber and protein intake. To do that you would have to count macros. You should also count macros if you are if you have medical issues or are doing a highly restrictive diet such as RFL or possibly if you have medical issues that can get better eating specific foods(macros).

Most people do not fall into those categories, I really believe that most people do not need to count their macros. Counting macros add more complexity to a meal plan and this would increase your chance of failure.

I think you're asking the question on how to calculate your macros for low carb.? If you are, then figure out your ideal weight(look online) eat roughly .80-1.0g of protein per pound of body weight. You said you want to eat 100g of carbs? If so add 100g of carbs to that and fill the rest of your calories with fat.

My ideal weight is around 200lbs.
Metabolic rate(when not active) = 2,700 calories.
protein = 200g * 0.8 = 160g protein = 640 calories
100g of carbs = 100*4 = 400 calories
calories left for fat = 2,700 - (400 + 640) = 1660 calories of fat
fat grams = 1660/9 = 184g

I made a minor mistake. I calculated my macros for maintenance. If you're going to do these calculations use how many calories you plan to eat. In your case, you said it was 1,800 calories. Use that number where I put in "Metabolic rate".
Unread 05-11-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:

I just wanted to reply to this comment. When I am in ketosis, I have eaten around 150g of carbs and still was in ketosis. I did not eat that many carbs every day but after I eat that many, I test for ketosis just to see and I am still in ketosis.

I use ketonix. It is a device that you breathe into and it measures the acetone concentration of your breath to determine if you're in ketosis or not.

I also get into ketosis when I am doing RFL. I no longer do a keto based diet.