BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-31-2016, 01:23 PM

Default Getting some sweet abdominals

Hello, the name is PhysiologyIsPhun (I'm a geek for science if you can't tell), and this is my log.

Background:

Ever since I can remember, I was always the fat kid. Nicknames like "tubby" in grade school were replaced with "fat***" and the like as I moved in to junior high and high school. I always ate horribly growing up, but I never even knew what I was doing to my body as my entire family was obese and always pushed more and more unhealthy food on me. Around the second semester of my freshman year of high school, I took a health class in which one of the projects was to track our food intake for 2 weeks. It was during this time that I realized just how horribly I was eating, and I decided it was time to start making some changes. I started out by cutting out Mountain Dew (I used to drink 3-5 of these a day), and proceeded to start paying more attention to portion size. Over the course of this semester and the following summer, I went from 225 lbs at 5'6" to 190 lbs at 5'9" (ah puberty). It was after this weight loss that a particular girl I was quite fond of but never had a chance with remarked on my weight loss. During one of our conversations, she flat out said that my muscles were small. It was then I realized I had one of the worst cases of skinny fat the world had ever seen. I decided to start lifting at this time (age 16) to start to build some muscle. It was a sad start; I remember not being able to bench 85 lbs or squat 135, but I pressed on. Fast forward a couple years to college (I started at age 17), and I had made some decent progress. I could easily squat 225 and SOMETIMES get 185 on bench on a good day. Still hadn't realized the power of deadlift yet. I began to program hop like crazy, "Arnold's 8 week get shredded blah blah blah", "MusclePharm's get swoll," you name a routine, I've probably done it. This went on for longer than I'm proud of. My weight remained stable throughout most of this time, but I did manage to recomp quite a bit. Around Spring semester of my sophomore year of college, I decided to get serious. I had recently taken a year of physiology, and I learned about dietary ketosis during one my lectures, and the idea intrigued me. I did ~3 months of keto (still not tracking macros, just keeping carbs low) and went from 190 lbs down to 168 lbs. For the first time in my life, I could finally see my abs. I have never been prouder of myself. As a former fat kid, it was something I had always dreamed of but never thought possible.

Now:

Fast forward another year and a bit of a too successful bulk later, and I found myself looking a little thicker around the waistline and had just a little bit too much of me that I could get a handful of. I was disgusted with myself that I had started to let myself become the fat kid again. I weighed in at just under 200 lbs. I tried keto again, expecting the same results, but this time, it didn't quite work out. It was around this time I found this forum. I went ahead and picked up RFLH and UD2.0 as well as A Guide to Flexible Dieting and managed to read all 3 of these masterpieces. I gave UD2.0 a try (I thought I was 15% but I'm realizing now I was more around 20%), and while I did not lose weight, I definitely saw some positive composition changes in the mirror. I took my 2 week diet break and decided to give RFL a try. I'm currently 10 days in, and I have made some very slight modifications to the program, so I suppose it can not really be called RFL anymore. We will call it mRFLD (for Modified Rapid Fat Loss Diet).

The Plan:

My weekly schedule will consist of 5 PSMF days as well as two days for refeeds. On the refeed days, I will be performing a full body, tension style workout in the 6-8 rep range, 2 sets per body part. The day after each refeed, I will be performing a glycogen depletion workout similar to those of UD2.0, but with reduced volume (4 sets instead of 6) with 30 minutes LISS afterward. Time permitting, I will attempt to get in 40-60 minutes LISS on non-training days.

Diet:

PSMF Day
<1100 calories
200g Protein
<20g Fat
<20g Carbs

Refeed Days
400g Carb
200g Protein
<25g Fat

Training:

Tension Days
Squat 2x6-8 3'
Leg Curl 2x6-8 3'
Bench Press 2x6-8 3'
Barbell Row 2x6-8 3'
Incline Bench Press 2x6-8 3'
Weighted Pull up 2x6-8 3'
OHP 2x6-8 3'
Barbell Curl 2x6-8 3'
Weighted Dips 2x6-8 3'

Depletion Days
Leg Press 4x15 1'
Leg Curl 4x15 1'
Chest Press 4x15 1'
Lat Pull Down 4x15 1'
Lateral Raise 4x12-15 1'
Seated Calf Raise 4x15 1'
Biceps Curls 4x15 1'
Tricep Push down 4x15 1'

Cardio: 20-30 Minutes LISS (Statonary Bike, Incline Walking, or Elliptical)

Non-Training Days
40-60 minutes LISS (if time permits)

Weekly Setup

Monday: PSMF/Cardio Day
Tuesday: Refeed/Tension Day
Wednesday: PSMF/Depletion Day
Thursday: PSMF/Cardio Day
Friday: PSMF/Cardio Day
Saturday: Refeed/Tension Day
Sunday: PSMF/Depletion Day

Program Length:
6 weeks

Starting Stats:
Bodyweight: 196 lbs
Bf: ~17-18%

Yesterday was Day 9 with a refeed/tension workout. Macros:
406g Carbs
220g Protein
25g Fat
Weight: 185 lbs -10 lbs from start
Bf%: 16.1% (3 point calipers) -1.5% from start
Unread 08-31-2016, 03:05 PM

8/31/2016 - Day 10
Weight: 186 lbs ((+1.0 from prev.) (-9.0 from start)

1 lb up due to refeed (was honestly expecting more). Lift was okay. Depletion workouts always suck! Hoping to dip below 180 by the end of next week.
Unread 09-01-2016, 04:25 PM

9/1/2016
Weight: 184 lbs (-11 from start) (-2 from prev.)

Ended up doing 75 minutes of LISS today as I didn't have time yesterday. Wasn't expecting a drop that fast. Pleasantly surprised by this whole experience so far!

Haven't really dealt with much hunger since I've started this diet. Weird because I used to feel hungry on 2200 kCals with similar protein when following a SKD. I feel like I could sustain mRFL longer than an SKD honestly.
Unread 09-01-2016, 06:38 PM

Cheked my bodyfat % today with calipers and assuming I'm using them right, I've already dropped to 14.8% and category one. I never thought the progress would be this remarkable!

Cheers!
Unread 09-02-2016, 06:50 AM
Banned

Well, the big drop is probably caused by water weight slash glycogen depletion.

You're on a strict diet for 6 weeks, which seems solid. However, I think you're not consuming enough fat for the duration of 6 weeks. For some (most?) guys it messes up their hormones and you'll feel like ...

Last edited by semipartial : 09-02-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Unread 09-02-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semipartial View Post
Well, the big drop is probably caused by water weight slash glycogen depletion.

You're on a strict diet for 6 weeks, which seems solid. However, I think you're not consuming enough fat for the duration of 6 weeks. For some (most?) guys it messes up their hormones and you'll feel like ...
I know the initial drop was depletion, but my refeeds should bring my weight up to nearly "normal" levels I would think. My lowest weight depleted on UD2 was 191. Who knows though?

Forgot to mention supplements:
6 EFA capsules
500 mg magnesium
200mg caffeine/50mg synephrine/20mg yohimbine taken 3x a day
2 tums (for calcium)
1 centrum multivitamin
Adding salt/no salt to everything for Na+ and K+
Sometimes 5 mg melatonin if I need to get to sleep early

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate any feedback as I feel like I am venturing a bit into the unknown here.

Last edited by PhysiologyIsPhun : 09-02-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Unread 09-02-2016, 06:57 PM

9/2/2016 (Day 12)
No weigh-in/workout (don't have a home scale so I weigh at the gym)

Good day today. Just realized I haven't been putting my food on here so...

Food

RFL cup muffin (I'll have to write a recipe sometime. Basically egg whites and casein with a little stevia)
Tuna
Turkey Breast
Greek yogurt

You'll notice I don't have chicken on here. I think the key to not getting burnt out on an extremely restrictive diet like this is to vary your food as much as possible within the confines of this diet. Bought a costco membership before I started this and bought a bunch of different frozen meats so I can vary my food choices every day. I usually add some salsa to any of the meats, and I try to come up with some rfl "dessert" for sanity reasons.

Anyone have an RFL friendly way to make greek yogurt taste better? The plain stuff is downright nasty imo.

Thanks for reading! Tension and refeed for tomorrow. Can't wait!
Unread 09-03-2016, 03:43 PM

9/3/16 - Day 13
Weight: 183.6 -11.4 from start
-.4 from last weigh in

Tension today with ~100g carbs before workout. Refeed still ongoing. Felt super depleted in the gym today. Think I might see how adding 100g to my refeeds works as I wasn't getting the upward swing of weight I expected from the refeeds.

Food so far:
Turkey breast
Thomas Cinnamon Raisin Bagel
Kashi go lean bar
1 scoop of gatorade powder
Unread 09-03-2016, 10:37 PM

Decided to upload some pictures since I've failed to do that so far. Left is before starting this program and right is two weeks in, both flexed. Does 15% sound reasonable at this point? Calipers actually gave me 14.25% today but I have no idea if I'm using them right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-09-03 23.32.48.jpg (54.6 KB, 110 views)
Unread 09-04-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
Anyone have an RFL friendly way to make greek yogurt taste better? The plain stuff is downright nasty imo.
Start with tastier yogurt. I like Fage 2%. Tablespoon of sugar free instant pudding powder is 35 calories/8 g carb. I've also read suggestions for sugar free flavored coffee syrups, or sugar free jam.