BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-07-2013, 05:09 AM

Default Putting it together

Hi all,

I've been reading through all the material in the forum and the main page, lots of good stuff.

I am a 5'8" 175 lbs cat2 38 year old kind of guy (22-23%BF). I am looking to get down to low teen bf.

I am game for trying RFL to kick things off as I think the results will be motivating.

My questions come in with regards to execution. All of this seems pretty straight forward if one doesn't have other obligations in their life. I am sure that everybody has other obligations besides their diet, so how do people go about incorporating the diet into their non-text book life?

The things that seem to throw a wrench into the works for me are:

I recently started doing shift work of sorts, I work one week from 2:30 am until 10:30 or so and then the next week I work from 7am until 3pm or so. This makes meal planning a bit difficult and I would welcome any suggestions.

I have an egg allergy. I am looking at low fat (or does it absolutely have to be no fat?) cottage cheese as one lean protein source (especially for meals on the go), but would like to hear some other ideas.

My work tends to be quite stressful or at least it always makes any top list of most stressful jobs. I've noticed that I get to be a bit a bear when I am hungry and stressed (massively exasperated by any stimulants). My idea to combat this is lots of small snacks, so ideas with what would fit that bill would be appreciated.

I have a 3-year old daughter and pregnant wife, who are not interested in following a highly structured restrictive diet (nor should they be). Do I just make my own shelf in the fridge make my own separate meals or somehow pick and choose from what the girls are eating?

I have for a long time run a few miles most days of the week, it helps me deal with stress and heart health (family history of heart disease), so I am not too keen to give up that. Given that this has been a regular part of my life does it count as light cardio?

With the change in job, I gained easy access to weight room (at least a good set of dumbells and a smith machine). I'd like to get to work on some strength, there was time in my life where I was a pretty strong dude.

Thanks for any input.

TPE
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:35 AM

Sounds like RFL is not a good idea for you.

If the diet is going to make work/family life an issue, don't do it. If you want to gain strength, RFL is not the way to go.

I don't mean to be negative, but there are far easier diets if you are not in a rush.
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM

"I recently started doing shift work of sorts, I work one week from 2:30 am until 10:30 or so and then the next week I work from 7am until 3pm or so. This makes meal planning a bit difficult and I would welcome any suggestions."

Meal timing is not a major concern on this diet. Because it is so low calorie, when you eat, isn't as important as what you eat. But typically, you could get all your macros in 3 or 4 meals easily. I eat 2 "normal" meals consisting of lean meat and a green veggie, then have 2 protein "smoothies", each containing about 50g protein, 5g fat, and 6g carbs.

"I have an egg allergy. I am looking at low fat (or does it absolutely have to be no fat?) cottage cheese as one lean protein source (especially for meals on the go)"

See above, lol. I eat eggs only on the weekend when I have time to make them. Otherwise, chicken, lean steak, hamburger, fat free cheese and whey powder make up 90% of my protein intake. "My work tends to be quite stressful or at least it always makes any top list of most stressful jobs. I've noticed that I get to be a bit a bear when I am hungry and stressed (massively exasperated by any stimulants). My idea to combat this is lots of small snacks, so ideas with what would fit that bill would be appreciated."

Snacks don't work well on RFL, as you just don't have the available calories. But if you can stand munching on raw broccoli or celery, or some sort of very low calorie, zero fat, zero carb food, I guess you could find a way.

"I have a 3-year old daughter and pregnant wife, who are not interested in following a highly structured restrictive diet (nor should they be). Do I just make my own shelf in the fridge make my own separate meals or somehow pick and choose from what the girls are eating?"

Just ask your wife (I'm assuming she does the cooking?) to make some sort of meat and green veggie every night, and bypass the taters, pasta, rice, or whatever else she may make. If not, have some pre-cooked meals ready to go in case you need one. Or, if it comes down to it, make yourself a nice protein shake/smoothie.

"I have for a long time run a few miles most days of the week, it helps me deal with stress and heart health (family history of heart disease), so I am not too keen to give up that. Given that this has been a regular part of my life does it count as light cardio?"

Keep the runs low intensity if you can (maybe just walk?) for no more than an hour and you should be fine."With the change in job, I gained easy access to weight room (at least a good set of dumbells and a smith machine). I'd like to get to work on some strength, there was time in my life where I was a pretty strong dude."

Yes. Lift. Heavy. Full body. Twice per week, no more than 3.

You can do this. If you want to...

My RFL Log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=21716

My new "Flexible" Diet Log (9/8/13)
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=26761