BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-01-2018, 08:22 AM

Default Testosterone Boost from SSRI?

Just thought I'd share this, as I found it interesting.

The last couple of years I had been recovering from low T. I took Clomid for a year, and gained about 30 lbs., which seemed to fix the issue. I then tapered off Clomid the following year, and lost some weight.

My testosterone dropped, but not significantly. In fact, at one point it was too high.

I had lost maybe about 12 pounds, and as I lost weight, it continued to drop, but the majority of the symptoms of low T were still gone, which is good. In June the total was 304 ng/dl. (lab range is 280 - 800), with mild but not significant symptoms of low T.

In July I started talking Zoloft for generalized anxiety/panic disorder (I've had it for six years, well before my testosterone dropped significantly). I've also lost a few pounds since then, a total of 15 from my maximum weight during low T recovery.

Last week my testosterone was 474 ng/dl. I knew it was going to be higher, as I feel great now. 400 - 500 is a sweet spot for me.

n = 1 and all that, but I found it interesting that I've had no issue losing weight on the SSRI, and that it had such a significant impact on my testosterone. I meet with the endocrinologist this week, I'll be curious to hear what he says.
Unread 10-01-2018, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Fatness tends to wonk the system, due to conversion of test to estrogen in fat cells. Losing fat usually improves things.

I doubt the SSRI had anything to do with it directly. I just don't see a mechanism at work.

So far as weight loss and gain, anti depresssants can go either way I suspect based on whether

1. depression keeps you from eating in which case the SSRI makes it so you can eat and gain weight
2. depression causes you to overmedicate with carbs in which case it helps you control food intake and lose weight.
Unread 10-01-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Fatness tends to wonk the system, due to conversion of test to estrogen in fat cells. Losing fat usually improves things.

I doubt the SSRI had anything to do with it directly. I just don't see a mechanism at work.
Well thing is, I was never what most people consider "fat". And when I was my fattest at ~18% last year, my testosterone was at its highest at 849 ng/dl. Also my estrogen is always very low, granted they never do the sensitive test, so I don't know how much stock I put in that number.

The closer I crept towards 12% my testosterone kept dropping. And I had it tested quite frequently. I was having it tested monthly until June. So it was definitely a trend.

The only thing that's different between now and June is I lost maybe 3 or 4 pounds (and I was ~12% before I lost the few pounds) and I started the SSRI. Both my primary and my previous endocrinologist said stress can cause testosterone to decrease, so if anything, the SSRI could help.

But otherwise, yeah, I don't think there's a mechanism that would explain it.

The last time I was this low in bodyfat, I had all the symptoms of low T, even though my total test was 425. But my SHBG was through the roof, so my free T was still way too low. I was also on 3 x 50mg/week of Clomid, which is the only reason it went from 158 to 425 in the first place. This was prior to my weight/fat gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
So far as weight loss and gain, anti depresssants can go either way I suspect based on whether

1. depression keeps you from eating in which case the SSRI makes it so you can eat and gain weight
2. depression causes you to overmedicate with carbs in which case it helps you control food intake and lose weight.
This definitely seems to be the case. The SSRI itself didn't make cutting anymore difficult, if anything it made it easier. My diet is the same, so that hasn't changed.