BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1001  
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:05 AM
mrlakramondas's Avatar
mrlakramondas mrlakramondas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd View Post
Hey Lyle, I'm thinking about doing this but I'm not sure when to do it. I'm 148 lbs@5'8-9'' and my 5x5 lifts are:
squat around 220x5
bench press 165x5
deadlift around 265x5 (1x5)
military press 115x5

I'm not going to ditch 5x5 yet because it's still giving me results. I'm quite light and lifts aren't good, but when should I go on generic bulking routine? would it be better to do madcows after this? I'm interested in both strength and size, but since I'm so light, I want to add more muscle to my frame. I'm still just 16 so weight should go up fast on your routine I suppose.
see first post of the thread
Reply With Quote
  #1002  
Unread 07-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Dr. SeRRoD Dr. SeRRoD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 63
Default

Just wanted to say that this routine is great. I have a home gym (Squat Rack, barbell, ez curl, plates) and this routine works perfectly for this minimalist approach. I have actually included Shoulder Press in addition to Incline Press for Upper Body to hit my shoulders directly and have had no issues with volume thus far.

I like alternating Squat and Deadlift as the main exercise for lower body and change the order of exercises so I don't do 2 squats or DLs in a row (Squat/Romanian Deadlift/Front Squat for day 1 and Deadlift, Front Squat, Romanian Deadlift for day 2). This gives you an overall 3 squats and 3 deadlifts per week (only 2 of the 6 are pushed heavy).

I look forward to cutting enough weight to where I can start eating a bit more and gaining some muscle on the routine as well!
Reply With Quote
  #1003  
Unread 07-15-2011, 01:15 AM
soiren soiren is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soiren View Post
Upper A
Bench 4x6-8
BOR 4x6-8
OHP 3x8-10
Pull-downs 3x8-10
Skulls 2x10
Upright Row 2x10

Upper B
Incline Press 4x6-8
Pull-ups 4x6-8
Dips 3x8-10
Seated row 3x8-10
Lateral raises 2x10
Curls 2x10

Lower A
Squat 4x6-8
RDLs 4x6-8
Leg press 3x8-10
Leg curls 3x8-10
Calves 3x8-10
Abs 3x8-10

Lower B
DLs 3x5
Front squat 4x6-8
Leg curl 3x8-10
Leg ext 3x8-10
Calves 3x8-10
Abs 3x8-10

Here's my variant. How's it?
A few specific q's:
I do dips on UB as a horizontal push and incine as a vertical. Is it a good substitute for a bench and ohp?
What's about second quad-dominant exercise on LB? I was told to replace it with lunges or leg press, is it a good idea?
Should i replace skulls with curls on UA?

Besides that, i do two cardio sessions for 30-35 min at 70-75% HR a week. I was doing UA-LA-cardio-UB-LB-cardio-rest, but then i read in FAQ that it's better to do lower body workout first. Hence a question, won't my lower workouts suffer from a leg-dominant cardio (cycling) the day before?
Thanks.
Bump for answer.
Reply With Quote
  #1004  
Unread 07-17-2011, 01:19 PM
morumbinas morumbinas is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Hello everybody!

What do you think about this routine (4 times per week, 2 times lower and 2 times upper):


Lower:
Lowbar Squats: 3x6-8
Romanian Deadlifts: 3x6-8
Front Squats: 3x10-12
Leg Curl (lying): 2x10-12
Crunches (on the cable tower): 3x6-8


Upper:
Dips (dip bar): 3x6-8
Chin ups: 3x6-8
Incline Bench Press: 3x10-12
Dumbell Rows: 3x10-12
Triceps (cable tower): 2x12-15
Biceps (cable tower): 2x12-15


I used the Leg Press (45 degrees) in the last cycle (instead of the front squats) but i had some knee pain after heavy weights and i dont get a proper form on the chair!


So what do you think about the routine? I have some concerns about my lower back because lowbar squats (like rippetoe) and romanian DLs hit the back hard.
And is it ok for the regeneration to squat 2 times in one unit?



Here are my current strength data:

Lowbar Squats: 1x6 286lbs
Romanian DLs: 3x8 255lbs
45 degree Leg Press: 2x12 484lbs

Dips: 3x6 220lbs (bodyweight + 38lbs)
Chin ups: 1x6 198lbs (like dips)


Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #1005  
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:50 AM
rxj27's Avatar
rxj27 rxj27 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morumbinas View Post
Hello everybody!

What do you think about this routine (4 times per week, 2 times lower and 2 times upper):


Lower:
Lowbar Squats: 3x6-8
Romanian Deadlifts: 3x6-8
Front Squats: 3x10-12
Leg Curl (lying): 2x10-12
Crunches (on the cable tower): 3x6-8


Upper:
Dips (dip bar): 3x6-8
Chin ups: 3x6-8
Incline Bench Press: 3x10-12
Dumbell Rows: 3x10-12
Triceps (cable tower): 2x12-15
Biceps (cable tower): 2x12-15


I used the Leg Press (45 degrees) in the last cycle (instead of the front squats) but i had some knee pain after heavy weights and i dont get a proper form on the chair!


So what do you think about the routine? I have some concerns about my lower back because lowbar squats (like rippetoe) and romanian DLs hit the back hard.
And is it ok for the regeneration to squat 2 times in one unit?



Here are my current strength data:

Lowbar Squats: 1x6 286lbs
Romanian DLs: 3x8 255lbs
45 degree Leg Press: 2x12 484lbs

Dips: 3x6 220lbs (bodyweight + 38lbs)
Chin ups: 1x6 198lbs (like dips)


Thanks!
I would drop the front squats and add leg press or leg extensions, too much lower back work imo. Also, why dips as your low rep push exercise? I would switch dips with your incline press or flat db press, unless you have a good reason for it.

Last edited by rxj27 : 07-18-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1006  
Unread 07-19-2011, 04:31 AM
morumbinas morumbinas is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxj27 View Post
I would drop the front squats and add leg press or leg extensions, too much lower back work imo. Also, why dips as your low rep push exercise? I would switch dips with your incline press or flat db press, unless you have a good reason for it.
answer 1: what about one leg leg press? my lower back is round when i use heavy weights. if i use only one leg, the weights are only 50percent...



answer 2: i used dips in the last cycle because its hard to find a good spotter in the gym and sometimes no one is available. and my flat bench press form is bad (i watched some vids from dave tate or rippetoe, but i dont feel my pecs and i had some shoulder pain with a wide grip - and 1rm is only 194lbs).
incline bench is ok for me because weights are lower and its easier to lift the weight in the rack if i fail.
but its a good idea to use incline bench as the first exercise in the low rep range.


thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #1007  
Unread 07-21-2011, 03:47 PM
rxj27's Avatar
rxj27 rxj27 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morumbinas View Post
answer 1: what about one leg leg press? my lower back is round when i use heavy weights. if i use only one leg, the weights are only 50percent...



answer 2: i used dips in the last cycle because its hard to find a good spotter in the gym and sometimes no one is available. and my flat bench press form is bad (i watched some vids from dave tate or rippetoe, but i dont feel my pecs and i had some shoulder pain with a wide grip - and 1rm is only 194lbs).
incline bench is ok for me because weights are lower and its easier to lift the weight in the rack if i fail.
but its a good idea to use incline bench as the first exercise in the low rep range.


thanks!
I think one-legged leg press is fine. It will also give you a chance to fix a strength/size imbalance if you have one by training the weaker/smaller leg first.

You could also use dumbbell flat bench or a low incline (around 15 degrees) DB bench as your low rep chest exercise, I'm not really a fan of regular flat bench for bodybuilding anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #1008  
Unread 07-23-2011, 08:43 AM
morumbinas morumbinas is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxj27 View Post
I think one-legged leg press is fine. It will also give you a chance to fix a strength/size imbalance if you have one by training the weaker/smaller leg first.

You could also use dumbbell flat bench or a low incline (around 15 degrees) DB bench as your low rep chest exercise, I'm not really a fan of regular flat bench for bodybuilding anyway.
ok thank you!

yeah it seems to me that my right leg is bigger than the other one....


so my new routine looks like this:

upper:
incline bench (i estimate 45) 3x6-8
chin ups 3x6-8
dips on the dip bar 3x10-12
kroc rows 3x10-12
triceps (cable tower) 2x12-15
biceps (cable tower) 2x12-15


lower:
lowbar squats 3x6-8
romanian deadlift 3x6-8
leg press (one leg) 2x10-12
leg curl 2x10-12
crunches (cable tower) 3x6-8


all ok with this routine?
Reply With Quote
  #1009  
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:38 AM
rxj27's Avatar
rxj27 rxj27 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morumbinas View Post
ok thank you!

yeah it seems to me that my right leg is bigger than the other one....


so my new routine looks like this:

upper:
incline bench (i estimate 45) 3x6-8
chin ups 3x6-8
dips on the dip bar 3x10-12
kroc rows 3x10-12
triceps (cable tower) 2x12-15
biceps (cable tower) 2x12-15


lower:
lowbar squats 3x6-8
romanian deadlift 3x6-8
leg press (one leg) 2x10-12
leg curl 2x10-12
crunches (cable tower) 3x6-8


all ok with this routine?
Looks good to me.
Reply With Quote
  #1010  
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:29 AM
snrygo snrygo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Default

hey lyle, i' am reading the sticky now and am at about pg 31 and was wondering if you could just do a look-over on what i have come up with so far. BTW, this is what i will start with on week 3 and from there progress.
Also, the BB Rows are underhand shoulder-width grip.

MONDAY
[center]squat 145*7*4
RDL 185*7*3
Leg Press 320*10*2
Leg Curl 75*10*3
Calf Raise in Leg Press 255*8*3
Seated Calf Raises 125*10*3
Cable Crunch 120*10*2
Back Hyperextension 25*11*2

TUESDAY
Bench 100*6*4
Bent Over BB Row 100*6*4
OH Press 55*10*3
Pulldown 115*10*3
Shrugs ?*8-10*2l/4r (to fix trap imbalance)
Triceps Pushdown 75*12*2
BB Curl 40*13*2

THURSDAY
Dead 195*6*3
Leg Press 320*10*3
Leg Curl 75*10*3
Leg Extension 120*10*3
Calf Raise in Leg Press 255*8*3
Seated Calf Raises 125*10*3
Cable Crunch 120*10*2
Back Hyperextension 25*11*2

FRIDAY

Bench 100*6*4
Bent Over BB Row 100*6*4
Incline Bench 70*10*3
Pulldown 115*10*3
Shrugs ?*8-10*2l/4r (to fix trap imbalance)
Triceps Pushdown 75*12*2
EZ-Bar Curl 40*13*2

thanks in advance

edit: the "?" on the shrug weight is because i am not sure of my shrug weight.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.