BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-27-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougz View Post
Thanks, Holly, I'll check that out..

This is what I'd like to learn more about..

The assertion is from Mors Kochanski, a well-known bushcrafter..

This link has a quotation from the book where he makes it:

http://wildernessinnovation.com/2014...fasting-water/

I'll see about aquiring the book, thanks..
That quote seems insane. If that quote were true every single man in the Minnesota starvation study would have died I would imagine.
Unread 09-27-2018, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Assertion is not argument

I presume the idea is taht eating will prevent ketosis which is protein sparing

But what if you're eating protein?

It's dumb
Unread 09-27-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Assertion is not argument

I presume the idea is taht eating will prevent ketosis which is protein sparing

But what if you're eating protein?

It's dumb
Looks like this Keto book will be enlightening..
Unread 09-27-2018, 01:47 PM

Speaking of eating straight protein, there's also in the survival and bushcrafting circles a warning about rabbit starvation.

Quote:
If you eat a diet of extremely lean meat (rabbits) with little else, you will eventually die of malnutrition and starvation. Your body converts protein to glucose, and it can only convert about 1000 calories worth. Hard to live on that.
http://preparingyourfamily.com/rabbi...-fact-fiction/
Unread 09-27-2018, 02:28 PM

So if I'm starving I shouldn't kill a rabbit because I'll max out only get 1000 calories from it.

Gotcha, but I'll probably eat the rabbit anyway cause that's up to 1000 calories and a full stomach! I hate math when Iím hangry but, 1000 is 1000 more than zilch.

Besides all that, re-read your link. I donít think itís saying what your saying
Unread 09-27-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
So if I'm starving I shouldn't kill a rabbit because I'll max out only get 1000 calories from it.

Gotcha, but I'll probably eat the rabbit anyway cause that's up to 1000 calories and a full stomach! I hate math when I’m hangry but, 1000 is 1000 more than zilch.

Besides all that, re-read your link. I don’t think it’s saying what your saying
Or you could..

It's saying a long term diet of only rabbit meat (no organs, etc), no veggies, would equate to 1000 a day. Hard to live on that.

Quote:
Your body converts protein to glucose, and it can only convert about 1000 calories worth (a day)
Is this legit, I wonder?

Last edited by dougz : 09-27-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Unread 09-27-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Or you could..

It's saying a long term diet of only rabbit meat (no organs, etc
Iíll just make sure to kill rabbits with organs Voila! Rabbit stew
Unread 09-27-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Speaking of eating straight protein, there's also in the survival and bushcrafting circles a warning about rabbit starvation.

http://preparingyourfamily.com/rabbi...-fact-fiction/
This needs weeks to happen
Unread 09-27-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
This needs weeks to happen
Well, months I would think..

But not to get side-tracked:

Your body converts protein to glucose, and it can only convert about 1000 calories worth (a day)

True?
Unread 09-27-2018, 07:01 PM

Yeah, the spin class was definitely a bad idea. But vitamins are good, right?

I read the linked article and it seems to be a math thing specific to a survival in the wilderness situation.

Not saying it is right, but the article claims that fasting will 1) put the body in ketosis (true AFAIK) and 2) reduce the BMR by 21% (no clue). The article presumes that the 21% reduction in BMR is definite and that by eating "as little as 500 calories" said BMR reduction would be reversed.

Why is BMR a big thing to them? Well it isn't explicitly stated but the implication is that the calories you would burn hunting and foraging would be significant relative to the amount of calories you would gain from the effort.

So if you have a starting BMR of 1500 calories a day and you don't eat and just sit on your kiester all day then by their theory your BMR would drop to about 1200 calories giving a 1200 calorie a day deficit.

But if instead you go out scrounging around for something to eat it likely won't amount to much since high calorie density isn't a common feature in rabbits and weeds and even if you can gather up 500 calories in food a day that amount could knock you out of ketosis and ramp up your BMR along with the fact that you would burn more calories out moving around chasing for food...so say that you can find 500 calories in food, but that bumps your BMR back up to 1500 calories instead of 1200 and on top of that you really had to work to get that much food so may have actually used an extra 300 calories working at getting the food and making it fit to eat...so +500, but -1500 and -300 leaves you at a net deficit of 1300 calories, or IOW a greater deficit than if you just sat on your I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post..

Much speculation and clear as mud probably but I think that was the general idea.

And as far as the using muscle vs. using fat I'm pretty sure that has more to do with how lean you are to start with.

So big survival tip: stay chubby.

And random data: actually read an article recently that a woman with a newborn couldn't gather enough calories a day to keep herself an and infant alive - no idea how the exactly calculated that.

Also says animals are a better food source if you are in the wilderness (duh) and if you want to learn something handy (just me talking) learning to fish and trap would be more efficient.

ETA: Extra random...did a genetic test and found that I'm apparently part of a rare haplogroup (2% of Europeans) that started in the Upper Paleolithic 25,000 years ago and the first named ancestor I see is Ulrike who lived at "the northern limits of human habitation 18,000 years ago". So, hey, maybe I tend to chubby because my ancestors adapted to surviving in very cold weather with not much food.

And if you are interested in survival stuff check out account of some early American settlers on what it was/is really like. I read the entire Little House series to my daughter and it has a lot of practical info and some just Huh stuff like how much food those people ate when they had it...like crazy amount of food on the regular...which fueled all the manual labor. The one about the very cold winter...yikes.

Last edited by holly70 : 09-27-2018 at 07:23 PM.