BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-03-2017, 10:11 AM

I started doing dumbbell upright rows again recently. I don't have a video but the top position is basically upper arms parallel to the ground, with elbows at a right angle, maybe a little less.

One thing I noticed is that when I started doing them, I definitely felt some stimulation/burning in the upper traps. From the article:

Quote:
The above has far less potential for impingement issues, simply by limiting the range of motion. Yet it still provides full stimulation for the medial deltoid. Id mention that it does still require some ability to control the scapula (in terms of setting the shoulder down and not letting it elevate) so someone with a previous rotator cuff injury might still have problems with it. But for someone with good scapular control and no other shoulder issues, I see no problem with doing upright rows in this fashion.
Is the reason for this because of safety or to best isolate the lateral head of the delts? Based on my comments above, I assume my scapulae are elevating some but it's kind of hard to tell. If they are, they're not elevating a great deal.

I actually wouldn't mind getting a bit of upper trap work to go along with the focus (lateral delts) as my upper traps could use some extra volume anyway. Obviously if it's going to set me up for an impingement, I would make a better effort to keep the scapulae down.
Unread 07-06-2017, 03:41 AM
Alexa1994

Ez curls I use but on the machine