BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-20-2017, 02:15 PM

Default Sudden Strength Loss on Cut

Hey,

I've been cutting for about 7 weeks at a 1 pound loss per week and really noticed a dip in my strength within the last 2 weeks without any diet/lifting changes. I went from benching 245 x 3 or 4 reps to benching 245 by not even 2 within the last 2 weeks.

I'm thinking it may be time for a diet break. More curious if anyone experienced such a sharp decline after maintaining strength for much of the cut?
Unread 07-20-2017, 02:31 PM

Yeah, can happen. Most likely it was a one off. Next time you go in you'll probably be lifting more again. Off day. Big damn deal
Unread 07-20-2017, 04:24 PM

One off I wouldnt sweat. Been a consistent 2 weeks of weak lifts. I expected a loss of push strength but that seemed high to me. We'll see if a diet break helps.
Unread 07-20-2017, 07:01 PM

I have found my bench ALWAYS goes south further and faster versus other lifts when dieting down. At least in my circles, this is a pretty common phenomenon The body must lose protein at differing rates from different muscles.
Unread 07-20-2017, 09:28 PM

Move on to weighted dips. your strength will "increase" as you get lighter and lighter
Unread 07-20-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Lifter85 View Post
I have found my bench ALWAYS goes south further and faster versus other lifts when dieting down. At least in my circles, this is a pretty common phenomenon The body must lose protein at differing rates from different muscles.
Will loss of strength usually translate into loss of lbm from skeleton muscles? I always though its more a neuro thing. ofc both are present, but I always though the neuro aspect to be the major one in the maintenance of strength during a cut (I have been known, rarely, to be totally off the chart wrong though).
Unread 07-20-2017, 10:29 PM

Yeah chest and bench press specifically is almost always the first thing to drop on a cut.

Make sure you are getting enough protein, enough carbs pre and postworkout, not doing too much cardio, getting enough sleep, and keeping your volume relatively low (~2 days week, 2 sets per bodypart, etc).

If all those are in line strength loss shouldn't continue at this rate. If it does you probably need to take a quick diet break and take hard look at what you are doing wrong.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 07-20-2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: A
Unread 08-02-2017, 01:58 PM

Update: 2nd week of maintenance with a 90% return of strength. My body feels a lot better too, think I was just burning out.

Knocked down one of these bad boys yesterday.... can't say enough good things about it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steves-prince-of-steaks.jpg (71.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by PhillyKid : 08-02-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Unread 08-02-2017, 05:20 PM

As soon as I'm 1 calorie below maintenance my pushing strength drops through the floor, pulling movements tend not to be affected.
Unread 08-03-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwire View Post
As soon as I'm 1 calorie below maintenance my pushing strength drops through the floor, pulling movements tend not to be affected.
x2. i can even progress somewhat on rows even legs but inclines stall hard