BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-22-2017, 07:59 PM

Default Calories spreading in a bulk

Hi everyone, I'm 22 yrs old, been lifting for 6 months now (eating at 1800 cals avg untill 2 weeks ago). I'm 176cm tall and weigh 65KG.
I read all of lyle's related articles, and searched in this forum yet haven't found answers to these questions:

1.While bulking, in terms of body composition, should I eat the same cals everyday (e.g. 2500, thus surplus will be higher on rest days) or eat more on lifting days (e.g. 2600 WO day & 2400 rest day, thus same surplus of 200)? Maybe even maintenance on rest days?

2.Although it might refer to the first question, should I eat based on every day's expenditure or an average weekly? I'm talking about days I work etc. I'm a bartender and the shifts are very dynamic everyday, also there are weeks I cardio twice (3-5kms at 10kmph) and weeks I don't cardio at all.

3.If I ate more than my calorie goal on day 1 (e.g. 2800 when goal is 2500), is that superior to subtract that 300 difference on day 2?

Hope I was clear, I really want to perfect this bulk as much as I can, ty.
Unread 07-23-2017, 09:44 PM

The timing of the surplus isn't super relevant as long as you are consistent. I like to lean toward higher calorie on lifting days and lower on non lifting just because I'm always really hungry after I lift. Limiting cardio on a bulk is definitely a good idea. You need time for your legs to recover if you want to get the best gains. Basically, I'd say know your maintenance, aim for a reasonable weekly surplus, and if you do a cardio session one day, add the calories burned to whatever you were going to eat for your diet that day.
Unread 07-24-2017, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
The timing of the surplus isn't super relevant as long as you are consistent. I like to lean toward higher calorie on lifting days and lower on non lifting just because I'm always really hungry after I lift. Limiting cardio on a bulk is definitely a good idea. You need time for your legs to recover if you want to get the best gains. Basically, I'd say know your maintenance, aim for a reasonable weekly surplus, and if you do a cardio session one day, add the calories burned to whatever you were going to eat for your diet that day.
I know that my maintenance when I was not working was 2100+-. Now I work as a bartender and shifts are kinda dynamic. I will eat more on workout days so that the surlplus will be equal.
Question is though, should I count nowadays maintenance as 2100 + 300 if I had worked or not and +200 if I lifted? Or just an average of let's say 2300 everyday + workout or none? As of cardio, I understand I should eat those back.

I know it may be overanalyzing but I thought about it and a day I work and/or lift is much more taxing than a day off from work
Unread 07-25-2017, 08:16 AM

I'd say just take a week or two to figure out your maintenance now that you're working. Start around 2300 and see if you maintain weight for two weeks. I'd estimate that's probably where you're at in terms of maintenance. Don't worry so much about "I worked today so I have to get those calories back." If you generally work the same number of shifts per week +/- 2, there really shouldn't be a significant difference in your maintenance from week-to-week. So figure that maintenance out, set your surplus (not sure what you're training status is but I personally am at an intermediate level, so I go no higher than +1750 for the week), and then you can play with high calorie and low calorie days within that weekly surplus if you want. Whether there is a n actual benefit to attempting to throw 300 extra calories on lifting days balanced out with 300 less calories on non-lifting days, I cannot say. Just focus on getting that slight weekly surplus and progressive overload and you'll get some good gainz. Good luck!
Unread 07-26-2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
I'd say just take a week or two to figure out your maintenance now that you're working. Start around 2300 and see if you maintain weight for two weeks. I'd estimate that's probably where you're at in terms of maintenance. Don't worry so much about "I worked today so I have to get those calories back." If you generally work the same number of shifts per week +/- 2, there really shouldn't be a significant difference in your maintenance from week-to-week. So figure that maintenance out, set your surplus (not sure what you're training status is but I personally am at an intermediate level, so I go no higher than +1750 for the week), and then you can play with high calorie and low calorie days within that weekly surplus if you want. Whether there is a n actual benefit to attempting to throw 300 extra calories on lifting days balanced out with 300 less calories on non-lifting days, I cannot say. Just focus on getting that slight weekly surplus and progressive overload and you'll get some good gainz. Good luck!
Tyvm mate
I know 2 things:
1. Before I started working I maintained at 2100 on rest and 2300 on lifting days.
2. For the past 2 weeks I maintained at 2400 no matter if it was work/lifting/total rest days.

So I can now either get 2600 on lift and 2300 on rest and dont mind about my job OR eat that base 2050 + 300 if I lifted + 200 if I worked + surplus..

The first method will obviously be easier, but the surpluses will change because I don't take into account wether I worked or not, your thoughts?

And on a final note, if I cardio kinda rarely (not every week) do I add these calories back?
Unread 07-26-2017, 03:31 AM

You're making a right old meal of this.
Unread 07-30-2017, 03:09 AM

Even though "enlightened" people like to simplify and say it doesnt matter, There exist a small benefit in spreading your intake over more than 1 meal a day and allocating more of it when most needed.

Its been mentioned by both lyle mcdonald and alan aragon some where on this website and the "interwebs"