BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-24-2017, 09:29 PM

Default Toxins accumulation in fat being released during diet

I remember that use to be a thing, and in some cases, an issue that can effect and slowdown metabolism. hydrophobic toxins from the environment accumulating in our adipose tissue, and then when we diet they would suddenly "flood" our bloodstream causing problems.

I can't seem to find information about it here now though, and yes I have used the search button (if I did so wrongly, and you prove me wrong, worry not - for I shall commit harakiri). is it still a thing? chewing down into some stubborn fat that has been there almost from childhood for almost two decades, I wonder if that could be an issue for me (or anyone else).
Unread 07-25-2017, 08:26 AM
Administrator

they are called organochlorines and it doesn't look like it's come up.
Yes, it's a thing, it may be part of what happens during dieting.
Not a lot to be done.

Olestra, the stuff in the low fat chips actually helps carry it out of the body but they don't make it anymore. In theory, Alli might have an effect

Fer example

Toxicol Sci. 2002 May;67(1):46-51.
Associations between weight loss-induced changes in plasma organochlorine concentrations, serum T(3) concentration, and resting metabolic rate.
Pelletier C1, Doucet E, Imbeault P, Tremblay A.
Author information
Abstract

Organochlorine compounds are released from body fat into the bloodstream during weight loss. Because these compounds may impair thyroid status, which is implicated in the control of resting metabolic rate (RMR), the aim of this study was to determine if the augmentation in plasma organochlorine concentrations might be associated with the decrease in serum T(3) concentration and RMR observed in response to body weight loss. Plasma organochlorine concentrations, serum T(3) concentration, and RMR were measured before and after weight loss in 16 obese men who followed a nonmacronutrient-specific energy-restricted diet for 15 weeks. As expected, a significant decrease in serum T(3) concentration and RMR was observed after the program, whereas concentrations of most detected organochlorines were significantly increased. Changes in organochlorine concentrations were negatively associated with changes in serum T(3) concentration (significantly for p,p'-DDT, HCB, Aroclor 1260, PCB 28, PCB 99, PCB 118, and PCB 170) and with changes in RMR adjusted for weight loss (significantly for HCB and PCB 156). In conclusion, organochlorines released in plasma during weight loss are associated with the documented decrease in serum T(3) concentration and RMR. Further studies are needed to verify whether these findings are causally related.