BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 03-14-2018, 08:07 PM
RC2018 RC2018 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Default Training the Forearms the day before Back/Pulling Exercises

Will training the forearms the day before doing back and pulling exercises lead to decreased performance on the back/pulling exercises if I was to use straps on the back exercises?

I figured it would not if straps are used, but I would rather not go based on my own assumption.

I am training using a full body routine 3x/week.

On "rest" days I was going to do:
Wrist curl 3x15
Reverse wrist curl 3x15

I was also considering reverse barbell curls 3x15 for the brachioradialis, but I think that those would use some biceps and therefore definitely decrease performance on pulling exercises the next day, right?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 03-15-2018, 08:25 AM
lylemcdonald lylemcdonald is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 983
Default

Depends on how fast they recover then, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 03-15-2018, 10:01 AM
Twitchy Twitchy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 58
Default

Forearms are kind of like the abs and the calves; you can get away with training them everyday with no significant recovery/performance issues in most cases.

Try it out and see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 03-15-2018, 06:52 PM
RC2018 RC2018 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Depends on how fast they recover then, doesn't it?
Are you referring to biceps or forearms?

I see how fatiguing biceps with reverse curls could inhibit pulling exercise performance the next day, but does using straps not totally take the forearms out of the equation?

Or, do both the biceps and forearms just recover so fast that training either of them with reasonable amount of sets the day before back would not be an issue regardless of whether one uses straps or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
Forearms are kind of like the abs and the calves; you can get away with training them everyday with no significant recovery/performance issues in most cases.

Try it out and see what happens.
Interesting. Have you had success training abs on rest days? I have thought about this and figured it may interfere with compound movements the next day. But, you find they recover in time so it's just not an issue?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 03-15-2018, 07:44 PM
Twitchy Twitchy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC2018 View Post
Interesting. Have you had success training abs on rest days? I have thought about this and figured it may interfere with compound movements the next day. But, you find they recover in time so it's just not an issue?
It all depends on how your body responds to the volume.

I used to train abs everyday AND superset them with compound lifts that uses the abs(front squat, deadlift, and etc). Never had any problems. The only times I had recovery issues were from straining myself too hard.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 03-16-2018, 04:17 AM
PyromanXP PyromanXP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 92
Default

As far as I remember Lyle said that abs were no different than any other muscle, so I'm working them out heavy twice a week 2x5-8 reps.

I don't know why forearm or calves would be any different but I may be wrong :-)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 03-16-2018, 07:00 AM
farrenator farrenator is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC2018 View Post
Will training the forearms the day before doing back and pulling exercises lead to decreased performance on the back/pulling exercises if I was to use straps on the back exercises?
Sometimes you just have to try and see.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 03-17-2018, 03:51 PM
RC2018 RC2018 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
It all depends on how your body responds to the volume.

I used to train abs everyday AND superset them with compound lifts that uses the abs(front squat, deadlift, and etc). Never had any problems. The only times I had recovery issues were from straining myself too hard.
I think I am going to give abs and forearms a shot on rest days. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.