BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 02-15-2018, 08:30 AM
alcahuetej's Avatar
alcahuetej alcahuetej is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 778
Default Arnold Press vs. Regular Seated DB Press

I've started getting some pain behind my right shoulder during Hammer Shoulder Presses, so I tried out Arnold Presses and these didn't bother me.

I then tried regular seated DB presses, and still had the pain. What are the differences between which muscles are worked between the two exercises?

I'm wondering if I don't feel pain during Arnold presses simply because I'm not pressing with my palms pronated until the dumb bells are already past my shoulders (so, shorter range of motion when palms are pronated). I could also try pressing with a shorter range of motion during regular seated presses to see if this helps.

I'm a little skittish doing DB presses though, because years ago my left shoulder popped out during seated DB presses, so the left shoulder has always felt a bit unstable when using DB's (for any presses, not just shoulder presses). I'll probably keep these on the lighter side.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 02-15-2018, 10:13 AM
zLeeKo's Avatar
zLeeKo zLeeKo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 733
Default

Is there any particular reason you're doing shoulder press?

It blows for hypertrophy IMO. Properly done upright rows + lateral raises is far better combo.

If you still want to do press, try shorter ROM with Hammer machine, since it's great piece of equipment, like most stuff from Hammer.
__________________
"He never had the makings of a varsity athlete"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 02-15-2018, 10:54 AM
alcahuetej's Avatar
alcahuetej alcahuetej is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Is there any particular reason you're doing shoulder press?

It blows for hypertrophy IMO. Properly done upright rows + lateral raises is far better combo.

If you still want to do press, try shorter ROM with Hammer machine, since it's great piece of equipment, like most stuff from Hammer.
I always enjoyed doing them in the past, and felt my shoulder development has been lacking in the last few years since omitting them.

I've personally felt all of my chest/back work has hit the shoulders well enough, but I'd like to try them again. I had shoulder issues years ago, so I'm just trying some things to see how it works out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 02-15-2018, 11:04 AM
zLeeKo's Avatar
zLeeKo zLeeKo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 733
Default

Hm, I don't know, I doubt palm position has anything to do with it
It's probably elbows position issue. In Arnold press elbows are less flared compared to machine or regular DB press I guess.
__________________
"He never had the makings of a varsity athlete"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 02-15-2018, 01:02 PM
alcahuetej's Avatar
alcahuetej alcahuetej is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Hm, I don't know, I doubt palm position has anything to do with it
It's probably elbows position issue. In Arnold press elbows are less flared compared to machine or regular DB press I guess.
Oh, yeah I don't either. I was just trying to describe at what point I'm not feeling pain during the movement.

That could be it, "elbows flared" anything is bad for my shoulders. The Hammer Shoulder Press does lock your arms in a flared position.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 02-15-2018, 02:13 PM
AlphaBettor AlphaBettor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 640
Default

Overhead presses can be finicky and you just have to figure out what works for you. I actually do something that's inbetween an Arnold press and a regular seated DB press. That is, there is some degree of horizontal abduction and probably a little forearm pronation during the concentric as I've found it's a more natural groove, but it's not as pronounced as this (especially at the bottom).

I also tend to do them with a back support that's one notch back from perpendicular, so it ends up being like a 75-80 degree press or so.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 02-15-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 02-15-2018, 02:56 PM
AlphaBettor AlphaBettor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Is there any particular reason you're doing shoulder press?

It blows for hypertrophy IMO. Properly done upright rows + lateral raises is far better combo.

If you still want to do press, try shorter ROM with Hammer machine, since it's great piece of equipment, like most stuff from Hammer.
I get the idea behind chest pressing for anterior delts and lateral raise (+upright row) for lateral delts, but it never really worked for me. Every time I'd follow that strategy for an extended period of time, delts would lag. Overhead press+lateral raise+rear delt fly gets it done (rear delts are sometimes done elsewhere.)

On the same note, I don't see too many natural trainees with good shoulders who don't overhead press. Come to think of it, I don't see too many passably natural trainees with good shoulders period, but the ones who do usually figure out a way to include at least a little bit of overhead pressing in their programming.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 02-15-2018, 03:23 PM
zLeeKo's Avatar
zLeeKo zLeeKo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
I get the idea behind chest pressing for anterior delts and lateral raise (+upright row) for lateral delts, but it never really worked for me. Every time I'd follow that strategy for an extended period of time, delts would lag. Overhead press+lateral raise+rear delt fly gets it done (rear delts are sometimes done elsewhere.)

On the same note, I don't see too many natural trainees with good shoulders who don't overhead press. Come to think of it, I don't see too many passably natural trainees with good shoulders period, but the ones who do usually figure out a way to include at least a little bit of overhead pressing in their programming.
Well, theoretically you hit all 3 heads with OHP, but the elbow position dictates which head you hit harder. Flare elbows more, you get more lateral delts.

If I was doing specialization cycle for delts, I would include shoulder press. Or if I had Hammer Shoulder Press.

Yeah, I can count on fingers of one hand how many natties with developed shoulders I saw. Maybe 2 or 3 guys.
__________________
"He never had the makings of a varsity athlete"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.