BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-28-2008, 07:59 AM

Default Whey/milk allergies

I get a substantial amount of protein (approx. 50% of my 175-200 gms/day) from shakes (True Protein WPI). The problem is I have sneezing fits about 15 minutes after I have a shake. I assume its an allergy to the milk proteins. If my only symptom is sneezing (pretty severe--10-15 minutes non stop) am I potentially suffering any other more seious or even cosmetic effects (water retention, joint problems, etc)? I dont like the pea protein powder taste and hate egg protein powders.
Unread 03-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

that I'm aware of, a true food allergy isn't going to cause sneezing but I'm not 100% sure and know just who I can ask
Unread 03-28-2008, 05:31 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. I only sneeze after my shakes, and it occurs everytime. Ive used different blenders so its not that and the other ingredients are always water, berries and splenda.
Unread 04-04-2008, 10:39 AM

Have you tried different proteins? I get some serious gastro problems with most whey proteins. So I primarily use a blend although I've managed to find a good whey that gives me no problems...and this took a lot of trial and error...and money, come to think of it.
Unread 10-01-2008, 10:44 AM

If I had to take an uneducated stab at this, I'd say check your protein for MSG. If not MSG, maybe the fact that your are inadvertantly inhaling some of the powder (miniscule amounts) causing a reaction?

Something I ran across.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6jGpu...NNSp00_MSG.htm

"These OFTEN contain MSG or create MSG during processing:

Flavor(s) & Flavoring(s), Natural flavor(s) & flavoring(s), Natural pork flavoring, Bouillon, Natural beef flavoring, Stock, Natural chicken flavoring, Broth, Malt flavoring, Barley malt, Malt extract, Seasonings (the word "seasonings"), Carrageenan, Soy sauce, Soy sauce extract, Soy protein, Soy protein concentrate, Soy protein isolate, Pectin, Maltodextrin, Whey protein, Whey protein isolate, Whey protein concentrate, anything Protein fortified, Protease, Protease enzymes, anything Enzyme modified, Enzymes, anything Ultra-pasteurized, anything Fermented

Jack Samuels also warned us about low fat milk products with milk solids that contain MSG and about soaps, shampoos, and cosmetics. We also need to watch the binders and fillers in medications, nutrients, and supplements. "Reactions to MSG are dose related, i.e., some people react to even very small amounts." MSG-induced reactions can be delayed as much as 48 hours or can occur immediately after ingestion or exposure. "

Last edited by DaMayor : 10-01-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Unread 10-01-2008, 10:59 AM

Sneezing does sound like a hefty allergic response. I'm slightly allergic myself to lots of food items and the immediate response would be nasal congestion and sometimes immediate itchiness of the skin (peanuts and cashews especially)

There's other protein powders available, but most don't really taste well ... this is a reason I'm looking into supplementing with BCAAs myself as this will also bring down total protein requirements. It's both getting expensive and boring to eat nothing but fish , chicken, lean meat(s) & eggs especially when you're trying to keep calories (fats) down.

ETA: another symptom that seems to happen when ingesting too much allergic food items is getting overly dry eyes. This suddenly leapt out to me...

Last edited by Espi : 10-01-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Unread 10-01-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
....allergic food items is getting overly dry eyes. This suddenly leapt out to me...
I hope you weren't driving at the time.