BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-12-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Whatever you want to tell yourself...
I mean Deadlift is a grip exercise. I'm not saying NEVER use straps but relying on them each workout is a mistake.

Deadlifits is a low rep exercise for a reason.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 09-12-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
You just need to quit with the advice and sit back and learn. Between this horrible advice and the biceps thread that got closed. Just stop trying to give advice.
Nothing wrong with the bicep thread. The topic was "if you had to pick a single exercise for biceps what would it be"

For me that is chin ups.

I don't need to quit giving advice, I know much of this stuff backwards and forwards

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Unread 09-12-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
relying on them each workout is a mistake.
Nonsense, you're just finding an excuse not to focus on intensity/overload. If your grip is a limiting factor and are unable to overload, straps are 100% valid. They're just a tool.
Unread 09-12-2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Deadlift is a grip exercise.
To be honest, read the advice people are giving to you. Sit back and learn. You should really stop making statements that are simply not true or completely mistaken and out of context.
Unread 09-12-2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Depends on your training status, age and lower back health. If you're not advanced, lower back will probably not be a huge issue.

Why use Pendlay row when you're trying to overload/go heavy? In my opinion, the Pendlay row is harder to overload, because of posture and physics. I'd say do heavy BOR (or even Yates rows) on Upper A. Then, on Upper B you can use pendlay rows (or chest assisted rows) as a secondary exercise.
I thought since Pendlays are "explosive" and only concentric exercises they should be done with low reps.
I've read in some page here that someone mentioned Lats will be more involved in under-narrow-grip than others.

So in general, a main underhand BOR and a secondary Pendlay are the way to go for me? - Mostly care for Lats and porportional routine.

AlphaBettor mentioned I'd better switch to a Chest Supported Row, my gym has this (https://www.google.co.il/search?q=t+...r8vZ4iuXzo_TM:) does it go in the place of Pendlays?

Thank you very much, and to clarify, since my lowers have RDL/DL that's fine that I don't do extra lower back work at the end of the workout, right?
Unread 09-12-2017, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LioRiX View Post
So in general, a main underhand BOR and a secondary Pendlay are the way to go for me? - Mostly care for Lats and porportional routine.
I'd say yes. BOR or Yates row may even assist in trap development as well. Please note that it's my preference, not an absolute truth. You can go either way.
Unread 09-12-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I mean Deadlift is a grip exercise. I'm not saying NEVER use straps but relying on them each workout is a mistake.

Deadlifits is a low rep exercise for a reason.
Unless you are training for a sport where you have to be able to deadlift without straps, it is beyond stupid to allow grip to be a limiting factor when deadlifting. If you are all grip-gay and trying to focus on getting crazy grip strength, there are better ways to do that then by refusing to strap up for deadlifts.
Unread 09-12-2017, 11:11 PM

If you're talking about deadlifting heavy and grip is a limiting factor that is one thing. Pulling 535 lbs with straps okay....

If you're talking about deadlifting high reps that is another completely. Which is what we are talking about. Pulling 295x12 with straps is crazy talk in my opinion.

Edit:

I just checked Lyles opinion and his article on deadlifting says 5-8 is high rep and he uses "maybe" as to whether you should go this high. He also recommends going as far as you can without straps.

I say respect the deadlift. Of all the lifts this is the one I wouldn't risk high reps on.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 09-12-2017 at 11:20 PM. Reason: A
Unread 09-12-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
To be honest, read the advice people are giving to you. Sit back and learn. You should really stop making statements that are simply not true or completely mistaken and out of context.
LOL. There is nothing more wrong about my opinion than yours. It's just that. A difference of opinion. And the best information out there is to have ALL the information. Let people decide whether they choose to do high rep deadlifts by warning them of the dangers of high rep deadlift.

Unread 09-13-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
If you're talking about deadlifting heavy and grip is a limiting factor that is one thing. Pulling 535 lbs with straps okay....

If you're talking about deadlifting high reps that is another completely. Which is what we are talking about. Pulling 295x12 with straps is crazy talk in my opinion.

Edit:

I just checked Lyles opinion and his article on deadlifting says 5-8 is high rep and he uses "maybe" as to whether you should go this high. He also recommends going as far as you can without straps.

I say respect the deadlift. Of all the lifts this is the one I wouldn't risk high reps on.
You presented this dichotomy, and your example doesn't make sense. Do you own straps? Can you deadlift 295 pounds?

There are lots of different approaches to training deadlifts. 12 reps is just not that crazy. Straps have nothing to do with it.