BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-21-2018, 08:50 AM

Default Squat Form Check

https://youtu.be/OIGwdpNj13g

Been meaning to post this for awhile. My lower back has been a bit sore lately after squats, so I was looking for some input.

Although today felt fine as I took a big breath before each rep and really focused on keeping everything tight on my descent.
Unread 12-21-2018, 10:35 AM

looks fine but one thing I try to do a little differently is make sure by pelvis is lined up with the rest of my body vs having too much anterior pelvic tilt. This keeps my back a little flatter instead of having as much curve in your lower back at the bottom of your lift. Obviously not too extreme or you'll round over but hopefully you get what I mean. For me I used to focus too much on chest up and then I'd do the same thing and it didn't feel great for my back. Any cue taken too far can be bad, and we all need different things. Putting a big breath in my belly and keeping it there helps me too.

I have no idea what I'm talking about though. These are just some things that worked for me when I had your issues.
Unread 12-21-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
looks fine but one thing I try to do a little differently is make sure by pelvis is lined up with the rest of my body vs having too much anterior pelvic tilt. This keeps my back a little flatter instead of having as much curve in your lower back at the bottom of your lift. Obviously not too extreme or you'll round over but hopefully you get what I mean. For me I used to focus too much on chest up and then I'd do the same thing and it didn't feel great for my back. Any cue taken too far can be bad, and we all need different things. Putting a big breath in my belly and keeping it there helps me too.

I have no idea what I'm talking about though. These are just some things that worked for me when I had your issues.
No itís a good tip. I need to work on my flexibility to be able to squat like youíre suggesting. I try to stay as upright as I can though.
Unread 12-21-2018, 06:13 PM

I'm definitely not flexible and yeah try to stay upright. If I find a good video or something I'll try to send it your way.
Unread 12-29-2018, 07:45 AM

Ironically, I screwed my back up squatting this week. On my last rep on my last set, I went too low and had to put the bar down, but had the pins set too low.

I had to awkwardly bend forward to set the bar down, rounding my back with the weight on my back still.

Definitely tweaked it, hopefully just a strain. Itís all on the right side, but a bunch of stretching and icing has calmed it down. Still sore though.

If I feel ok next week, I think Iíll drop the weight, work on form, and aim for higher reps.
Unread 12-29-2018, 09:59 PM

Bummer, hopefully something that won't take too long to recover from though. Good luck progressing!
Unread 12-30-2018, 02:13 AM

If it's a strain, I'd let it go for at least three weeks. Given the location, you'd want to avoid pretty much all strenuous exercise, unfortunately. Not worth the risk to work through it, unless you're setting up for a meet or something. That's how people wind up chronically injured.
Unread 12-30-2018, 01:41 PM

After lots of stretching and icing that night and the next day the pain is gone.

Weíll see how I feel doing rack pulls tomorrow. Lifting yesterday for my upper day was fine yesterday, although it didnít involve much lower back work.
Unread 01-17-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
After lots of stretching and icing that night and the next day the pain is gone.

Weíll see how I feel doing rack pulls tomorrow. Lifting yesterday for my upper day was fine yesterday, although it didnít involve much lower back work.
your back was fine? it sounded to me like it was just a strain. i get those often in my upper back but it takes me a few days to recover from it. last month it was real bad for a week and i couldn't even sit up from laying down without extreme pain
Unread 02-11-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triliad View Post
your back was fine? it sounded to me like it was just a strain. i get those often in my upper back but it takes me a few days to recover from it. last month it was real bad for a week and i couldn't even sit up from laying down without extreme pain
Yup, I was fine. Went away fairly quickly. I didn't even have to take a week off from squatting.

I am having trouble fine tuning my breathing during squats though. I take a big breath, but it feels weird when I descend, and I feel like I'm going to lose my tightness at the bottom and drop the bar.