BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > About this forum: Read this first
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-02-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
I'm new here, hence doing a lot of searching and learning, and I agree with everyone who has complained about the search unfunctionality.

It sucks.

The upshot of this easily fixable thing is that

- the forum will be losing traffic it should have gained
- Lyle will be losing measurable revenue, ditto
- people will go to better-structured sites, irrespective of the quality of the content

etc
etc

Those who suggested using Google as a workaround instead have certainly missed the point. My Goo-fu is excellent, by the way: but I shouldn't have to use Google to search a forum. And most people won't bother.

At Lyle (BTW) you kind of bit that guy's head off earlier: I didn't read him as telling you how to run your forum. It's about running it better, with more exposure of user-generated-content, eg ultimately more conversions to more book sales, even.

I would recommend you look into migrating content to something like Vanilla or a more modern forum (and more importantly still) w. all social media widgets and other good surface-area-maximisation stuff. Or any forum software updated in the last year or so.

Update the site. Grow the conversation. Everybody wins.

Patrick

PS Cheers to all residents, and thanks for all the fantastic information, experience and insight that's here already!
Uh oh!!!!!
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Update the site. Grow the conversation. Everybody wins.
I don't really agree. Have you ever seen what large fitness forums devolve into? I would rather read a relatively smaller forum with more knowledgeable and dedicated members.

Yeah, CAPTCHAs and the search string length can be mildly annoying, but I figure it weeds out a lot of the idiots (hey, just being honest here).

Either way, it's back to lurking for me.
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
I don't really agree. Have you ever seen what large fitness forums devolve into? I would rather read a relatively smaller forum with more knowledgeable and dedicated members.

Yeah, CAPTCHAs and the search string length can be mildly annoying, but I figure it weeds out a lot of the idiots (hey, just being honest here).

I have seen - do not want

Agreed

and the last bold: you nailed it.
4. Use google as well - Add "site:lylemcdonald.com". Google can find those short strings of letters.
5. You are not a rodent so follow up with pubmed (http://pubmed.org) use "+human" "-rat" "-mouse" modifiers
6. Check the STICKY threads.
7. use google to find all my posts.
8. Supplement evidence
9. Private message are cheerfully ignored.
Unread 03-03-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post

yeah I can't stand mega forums such as bodybuilding.com etc. too much bs, too much of everything. there is good stuff on there but you have to weed through alot of crap to find it. it's no wonder that alot of people are confused.