BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-11-2017, 07:27 PM

Default Training split question

A friend of mine as been doing upper/lower split with me. I changed mine to whole body 3x week. Doesn't want to try it says too much in one workout and wants to try 4x week

So I told him to do
Monday upper
Tuesday lower
Wednesday off
Thursday full body
Friday off
Saturday full body

How would the two whole body days look, I know there will be many ways but just looking for examples. (Heavy,light,medium)
Unread 03-11-2017, 08:27 PM

Well quite honestly, I side with your friend on this one. There are some times I think full body workouts are useful:

- For beginners and people coming back from a layoff
- As a scheduling consideration, get into the gym for a basic full body workout while the main focus is elsewhere, like improving cardio or sports performance
- For fat loss, again focus is elsewhere and volume can be kept down (per bodypart). Full body workouts can also be useful for syncing up with refeeds on a cyclical diet.

For general training, I'd much rather use a 2 (or 3) way split. Occasionally, I will read about some new research on gene expression or the benefits of high frequency, so I try full body workouts again and am quickly reminded of how much I dislike them.
Unread 03-11-2017, 08:40 PM

^ maybe that wasn't so helpful. Can you give more info about your friend? (where he is at training wise, what are his goals, etc.)
Unread 03-11-2017, 09:49 PM

Try speed work/heavy.

That way, you're either doing limited volume, or limited time, so he will thereby be less unhappy with the amount of time he spends working out.

Last edited by squat : 03-11-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Unread 03-11-2017, 10:42 PM

He has been training for years. Wasn't always perfect but past 3 years his training makes more sense now. Bench is 265, squat 325.
What I am doing is l, taking my volume I normally would do in a week and spread it across the week with whole body training. Was thinking the same for him but spread it across 4 days?
Example
Monday and Tuesday=Medium with more a little more volume
Thursday=heavy
Saturday=light (speed work on Squats and bench? For back light 65-75% of heavy weight used)

He wants to add direct arm work in so I was thinking its fine just watch volume. So start at 2x8reps on upper and on full body just do 1set 10-15reps. Better to start with less than too much.
Unread 03-11-2017, 11:15 PM

Yeah, sure, sounds good. You don't actually have to do speed work, but that can be fun, I do it. I was really just being creative about saving time.

This is really more about the illusion of speed work actually happening faster than regular work, but it basically does not in any significant way. Yet still, the perception is there. You could manipulate your friend into believing time is going faster than it is, occasionally. By timing him. Then, tell him what his time is, but only 5 seconds before it happens.
Unread 03-11-2017, 11:44 PM

I don't know why he said it's too much but this program as 2 full body days lol. I guess he like the upper and lower in this setup days can focus easily on some body parts. And full body focus on the lifts.. So it's a mix of both I guess he likes.