BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-20-2017, 08:15 PM

Default Breastfeeding in ketosis

I can't find any info on breastfeeding while in ketosis.
Is it safe?
Unread 03-21-2017, 06:40 AM

How safe?

Safe for who?

Theoretically as long as the mother is consuming sufficient calories she should be able to produce sufficient milk for the baby.

Practically it seems like a bad idea to introduce extra stress on the mother's body while breastfeeding, if only because all those stress hormones could also be passed on to the baby in the mother's milk, so at the least you may have a cranky baby that doesn't sleep well.

Maybe if keto was the mother's habitual way of eating and she ate that way all through pregnancy anyhow there may be no change.

If you are thinking of trying this best run it by your gyno and/or pediatrician.
Unread 03-21-2017, 08:27 AM

I am wondering if it is safe for baby. The ketones show up in our blood and urine, do they transfer to breastmilk? If they do, is it bad?
I have asked and am getting mixed opinions, I am looking for facts.
I have a prolactinoma, a tumor on my pituitary gland, being in ketosis is about the only way I can lose fat, and I feel my best eating a Keto diet.
Unread 03-21-2017, 08:51 AM
Administrator

I know that the lactic acid from high intensity training can show up in breastmilk and make it bitter which might limit intake

I don't see why the same wouldn't hold for ketosis

Bigger question: why risk this? Are you THIS married to a ketogenic diet to even POTENTIALLY risk the spawn's health? Are you that selfish?

Because if you are, maybe you shouldn't be having kids.
Unread 03-21-2017, 09:52 AM

Wow, did that really come from Lyle? That was kind of harsh/rude...
This is my fourth child. I have breastfed all of my children for 2-4 years, which is not selfish. The tumor I have secretes prolactin, my milk supply is never an issue because of this. To live a life void of the symptoms associated with a prolactinoma I need to eat a keto diet or take medicine, bromocriptine or cabergoline, on these medications I can't breastfeed. I am hoping I can eat a keto diet and not harm my breastmilk.
I had not done keto/or been in ketosis after my previous pregnancies. I am just trying to weigh my options. I wanted to know details/facts to make the most informed decision.
Unread 03-21-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrysparkle23 View Post
Wow, did that really come from Lyle? That was kind of harsh/rude...
This is my fourth child. I have breastfed all of my children for 2-4 years, which is not selfish. The tumor I have secretes prolactin, my milk supply is never an issue because of this. To live a life void of the symptoms associated with a prolactinoma I need to eat a keto diet or take medicine, bromocriptine or cabergoline, on these medications I can't breastfeed. I am hoping I can eat a keto diet and not harm my breastmilk.
I had not done keto/or been in ketosis after my previous pregnancies. I am just trying to weigh my options. I wanted to know details/facts to make the most informed decision.
You breastfeed your children til they're four?
Unread 03-21-2017, 11:06 AM

Lol, yes, my first, not because I wanted to...Before I knew I had a prolactinoma I could not get my milk to dry up. I spent 2-7 days away from her trying to wean, when she was 1-4. My milk wouldn't go away and she would know, she could smell the and would continue to breast feed.
I found out about my tumor when she was almost 4, it is called a prolactinoma, it secretes prolactin, which causes lactation and then I was able to start meds to stop breastfeeding.
Unread 03-21-2017, 11:49 AM

I wouldn't risk it.
Hold off on weight loss until you are done breastfeeding when you know for sure that your diet/actions won't possibly harm your child.
Unread 03-21-2017, 12:19 PM

It isn't losing weight that is my first priority. A prolactinoma causes headaches, extreme fatigue, low libido, depression, vértigo, extreme náuseau, foggy brain, and many other things, if I can eat a keto diet I can be a better person/mother in general.
Unread 03-21-2017, 12:57 PM

I think this may be a good question for a forum of other mothers.

I assume it's no big deal. I don't see why it would be. Ketosis has been around for as long as mothers have.