BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > About this forum: Read this first
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-20-2011, 02:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to Nigeepoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaF View Post
Not every visitor is going to know this.
They should. In this "Read this first" forum, there's a thread called search string length
Quote:
If everyone should do what you are saying - you tell me why this board is still offering a search functionality?
Why not?

Blog
Unread 02-20-2011, 07:06 PM

RaF it's very easy to do, and as said, it should be done.
Unread 02-21-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigeepoo View Post
Why not?
Really? Being forced to manually switch between internal search/Google 'kung-fu' based upon the length of your search term - do you seriously consider this good usability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecule View Post
RaF it's very easy to do, and as said, it should be done.
You think it's easy, but that doesn't mean other people find it easy. There are a lot of non-technical on the internet for which this is 1 big hassle. Immediately assuming something is easy is one of the biggest mistakes you can make trying to improve usability.

I call this a flaw - at least they do where I work (which happens to be web development/design, which includes usability). Not going to dramatize this though, just gave my 2 cents. As Lyle already stated - it's his forum & he runs it the way he wants to.

Last edited by RaF : 02-21-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Really? Being forced to manually switch between internal search/Google 'kung-fu' based upon the length of your search term - do you seriously consider this good usability?

You think it's easy, but that doesn't mean other people find it easy. There are a lot of non-technical on the internet for which this is 1 big hassle. Immediately assuming something is easy is one of the biggest mistakes you can make trying to improve usability.

I call this a flaw - at least they do where I work (which happens to be web development/design, which includes usability). Not going to dramatize this though, just gave my 2 cents. As Lyle already stated - it's his forum & he runs it the way he wants to.
Sorry but the task is hardly technical, its very straight forward and basic, if people want to be lazy and not put the effort in to learn new things then its their own faults.
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecule View Post
Sorry but the task is hardly technical, its very straight forward and basic, if people want to be lazy and not put the effort in to learn new things then its their own faults.
Wrong.
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to Nigeepoo

It's funny (peculiar) how people will deprive themselves of nice-tasting foods and spend lots of time lifting heavy weights, but begrudge spending a few seconds reading simple instructions on how to search for stuff on Google.

Blog
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:24 AM

I find it amusing that everyone's an expert on forums and what is and isn't possible - despite or maybe because of the fact that they've never set them up.
Unread 02-22-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzybit View Post
I find it amusing that everyone's an expert on forums and what is and isn't possible - despite or maybe because of the fact that they've never set them up.
Elaborate.
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Wrong.
Alright then ... The forum search function works fine if you use it how it is set up to be used. Also if someone is searching for something but are not willing to figure out how to search more effectively then their stupidity is their own fault.

On top of what Myles has in his Sig(which is all you need for this forum) here is a good place to learn more.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/features.html
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:05 AM

I'm new here, hence doing a lot of searching and learning, and I agree with everyone who has complained about the search unfunctionality.

It sucks.

The upshot of this easily fixable thing is that

- the forum will be losing traffic it should have gained
- Lyle will be losing measurable revenue, ditto
- people will go to better-structured sites, irrespective of the quality of the content

etc
etc

Those who suggested using Google as a workaround instead have certainly missed the point. My Goo-fu is excellent, by the way: but I shouldn't have to use Google to search a forum. And most people won't bother.

At Lyle (BTW) you kind of bit that guy's head off earlier: I didn't read him as telling you how to run your forum. It's about running it better, with more exposure of user-generated-content, eg ultimately more conversions to more book sales, even.

I would recommend you look into migrating content to something like Vanilla or a more modern forum (and more importantly still) w. all social media widgets and other good surface-area-maximisation stuff. Or any forum software updated in the last year or so.

Update the site. Grow the conversation. Everybody wins.

Patrick

PS Cheers to all residents, and thanks for all the fantastic information, experience and insight that's here already!