BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-16-2013, 03:14 PM

Question surplus for teens?

hey, i was reading your articles on nutrition for bulking, however, im a little confused. ive been told by a respected youtube, jason blaha, that since i am 15 years old (16 in june) a larger surplus of 4lbs/month will do me more harm than good, because my hormones wont be sufficient enough till im 17 to produce and use enough calories to make new LBM. so my question is, should i stick to his recommendations of 2-3lbs/month or should i do a larger one? im just not sure how the human body at my age differs in its ability to produce new muscle mass than say a 17+ male. thanks!
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:21 AM

At your age you will probably pack on tons of muscle when you start working out. Your hormones are probably starting to spike right now to the point that you'll gain a lot of muscle, quick. Not to mention newbie gains that will come with just starting to lift.

Between the ages of 15 and 16 I put on a good 30 lbs of lean mass, didn't really gain fat at all. Wish I could do the same now and eat the same way I did then! Almost seemed effortless (I'm only 22 now but much closer to max potential). Granted, not everyone is the same but I wouldn't obsess over your hormones at this point in life.

Eat, lift, sleep, grow.

If you start to gain too much fat cut back a little bit but I doubt you'll run into that to be honest.
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:11 AM

yeah ive been training for a year in june though. so my newby gains are gone, which i did gain 20lbs so far this year. i track my calories and just wanted to know what i should go for. i know the amount of macros, but not calories... right now im 5'6 and 120lbs, would bulking for 10 months (40+lbs and being at 160)be bad for my height and age? thanks!
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:53 AM

yeah ive added 20bs in 9 months, but i like to track my macros/calories closely and eat whole foods. im going to be following his bulking routine, however, i just want to know the amount of surplus i should be eating for optimal gains. also, do you think being 160-170 at 5'6 would be too hefty? because if i add 4lbs every month for 10-12months, thats where ill be at, and im currently about 8-9% BF. thanks!
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM

My advice would be to lift, eat and have fun. No need to worry about exactly how much you are eating or specific weight gain rates. Eat well but don't get fat.
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:04 AM

well im just afraid if i dont track macros, i wont eat enough. i had a past of anorexia, and i dont always have a big appetite. i like following meal plans and junk like that, makes me feel like im doing something right i guess. i never eat school lunches, because that junk is nasty and unhealthy, so i pack a lunch. also if i dont track macros, i will never know if im getting enough fats, which are good for hormone production. know what i mean? and its a little hard to blk without getting some fat! haha
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
well im just afraid if i dont track macros, i wont eat enough. i had a past of anorexia, and i dont always have a big appetite. i like following meal plans and junk like that, makes me feel like im doing something right i guess. i never eat school lunches, because that junk is nasty and unhealthy, so i pack a lunch. also if i dont track macros, i will never know if im getting enough fats, which are good for hormone production. know what i mean? and its a little hard to blk without getting some fat! haha
You don't need to 'bulk'. What you need to do at 15 is to learn how to lift properly and actually enjoy what you are doing. You don't need to overemphasize the nutritional aspect of bodybuilding. It basically comes down to eating sufficient amount of calories and protein to sustain growth. A little bit of fat gain is ok, but you don't need to 'bulk' nor do you need to count every single calorie you are eating.

I doubt you will listen tho. Information overload, overcomplication and overanalyzing is at an all-time high in bodybuilding.
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlakramondas View Post
You don't need to 'bulk'. What you need to do at 15 is to learn how to lift properly and actually enjoy what you are doing. You don't need to overemphasize the nutritional aspect of bodybuilding. It basically comes down to eating sufficient amount of calories and protein to sustain growth. A little bit of fat gain is ok, but you don't need to 'bulk' nor do you need to count every single calorie you are eating.

I doubt you will listen tho. Information overload, overcomplication and overanalyzing is at an all-time high in bodybuilding.
1. iv'e already learned to lift properly.
2. i enjoy the nutrition and lifting aspect of lifting and bodybuilding.
3. i dont count every little ounce, i just like to know im getting sufficient quantities for growth.
4. you need a calorie surplus, after newby gains, if you are lean and want to add muscle ie. hypertrophy.
5. fat gain is going to come with muscle gain, read lyle's article. in order to get bigger and stronger, you need a surplus. the lower the surplus, the lower the amount of muscle/fat you gain. the larger, to an extent of about 500 surplus, you will gain maximal amounts of LBM and fat. you bulk it up and then cut it down, simple.
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:45 AM

Ahh teh internetz.
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:58 AM

just speaking the truth man! eating quality foods wont help you gain crap unless you giving them enough nutrients(calories, protein) for growth. the only way to add muscle at maintenance is if your big and you recomp, however, for skinny people like me ill just be turning my wheels if i ate at maintenance hoping for gains. so obviously i need to count macros, and eat in a surplus for respectable growth. now thats out of the way, does anyone have any advice for how much of a surplus is optimal for teens? and before you say ill freakin gain if i lift, i wont. i lifted for 6 months and didnt go up in weights eating at maintenance.