BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Guide to Flexible Dieting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-05-2015, 06:41 AM

Default When it comes to hormones, is a deficit a deficit?

If you create a deficit from exercise but eat at maintenance, do you still deal with hormonal issues like you do from a deficit via diet?
Unread 01-05-2015, 07:17 AM

I would say it depends on the severity of the deficit created and the proper use of diet breaks and/or refeeds.
Unread 01-05-2015, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrumdiet View Post
If you create a deficit from exercise but eat at maintenance, do you still deal with hormonal issues like you do from a deficit via diet?
Yes.
Unread 01-05-2015, 09:36 AM

My main concern is my ravenous appetite when i cut via diet. So i'm hoping that won't happen doing my cut from cardio albeit probably won't be as extreme of a deficit so less of a hormonal factor I guess?
Unread 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM

Sadly, no. You're still in a deficit, your body is still trying to save itself from presumed starvation, so you will still have hormonal shifts in the same way. As evidenced by diet/training combos like UD 2.0 and ERFL, certain forms of exercise can change how calories are partitioned or burned during deficits and surpluses, but hormones will still respond to the deficit itself.

Still, psychologically, an exercise-induced deficit might be better for you than a diet-induced deficit. I get ravenously hungry after my lifting sessions, but cardio seems to completely kill my appetite for a while (as do huge food-induced deficits like RFL). I also know friends from my distance-running days who would plow through a ton of fast food after every workout because they were starving. Try it out and see how hungry you're getting, it can be different for everyone.
Unread 01-05-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thStringofZhef View Post
Sadly, no. You're still in a deficit, your body is still trying to save itself from presumed starvation, so you will still have hormonal shifts in the same way. As evidenced by diet/training combos like UD 2.0 and ERFL, certain forms of exercise can change how calories are partitioned or burned during deficits and surpluses, but hormones will still respond to the deficit itself.

Still, psychologically, an exercise-induced deficit might be better for you than a diet-induced deficit. I get ravenously hungry after my lifting sessions, but cardio seems to completely kill my appetite for a while (as do huge food-induced deficits like RFL). I also know friends from my distance-running days who would plow through a ton of fast food after every workout because they were starving. Try it out and see how hungry you're getting, it can be different for everyone.
You're right about it being different. I have no appetite after lifting and RFL made me ravenous for the worst kinda stuff. I've accepted that I can no longer do RFL, it lead to too many binges. I never had this issue before starting it and I look much worse now. So now I just create a slight deficit thru diet and another thru cardio. I can eat alot more and the deficit is probably not that much different. Psychologically it is making a huge difference cause I don't feel the need to binge. Ty
Unread 01-26-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
If you're creating a deficit then by definition you're not at maintenance.
Unread 01-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
If you're creating a deficit then by definition you're not at maintenance.
You know what he means.
Unread 01-27-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I realize my response came off as snarky, buried under over two feet of snow here in the Northeast. I like to run a deficit through exercise in the same manner you are as well. After awhile even at a smaller deficit I still run into the typical issues that warrant a diet break/refeeds though. Psychologically it's personally easier for me too using cardio to create a deficit. I like to eat more food.

Best of luck with your goals man.