BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-03-2016, 05:49 AM

Default Keto and High Cholesterol Levels

Hi guys,

I'm on RFL, trying to lose 40 pounds (10% BF) and everything seems to work incredibly well. After reaching my goal, I'm considering going back to Ketogenic diet, which I get adapted very easily, felt confortable with, lose weight (slower than RFL, but ok), etc.

But one thing called my attention while on keto: my cholesterol levels rose substantially (Total 317 mg/dl, LDL 250, HDL 43 and before that my total was never above 150)

Many on the internet state that "there is nothing to be concerned about high cholesterol levels while on a low carb diet", but I really dont know Lyle's opinion about that or even the opinions from people who have read his book.

I've read some post here about that, confirming that statement, but nothing with some scientific background.

I remember a Lyle's post where he states that there are lots of evidence that saturated fats increased inflammation, independent from carbs. I know that not the same thing, but I really and to know if excessive dietary fat, is doing me more harm than good.

Thank you for any help.
Unread 02-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Administrator

People say a lot of things but cholesterol reliably goes up on ketogenic diets at maintenance. It is, at most, a risk factor for things but certainly not the only one.
Unread 02-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
People say a lot of things but cholesterol reliably goes up on ketogenic diets at maintenance. It is, at most, a risk factor for things but certainly not the only one.
True, but "goes up" is one thing. WAY up is another. OP is WAY up. I'd be concerned. No diet suits everyone.
Unread 02-03-2016, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
True, but "goes up" is one thing. WAY up is another. OP is WAY up. I'd be concerned. No diet suits everyone.
Oh you with your reasonableness.
Unread 02-04-2016, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Yeah but my cardiologist didn't like this specific risk factor and I don't like risk factors in general...

The fact is, I would be happier with a less restricted diet, but the another fact is that carbs makes me very hungry and hunger was what make me buy your RFL book in the first place. Even during the diet brakes it is hard for me to control appetite while on RFL or Keto it is incredibly easy.

Even if I moderate carbs, lets say to 150g with 150g of protein, half of my calories would have to come from fat, which is still a lot to my cholesterol levels I guess.

Last edited by Rafael : 02-04-2016 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Minor corrections
Unread 02-04-2016, 09:27 AM

You mentioned cardiologist. My husband also sees one. He has eliminated all risk factors now, except he is type1 diabetic and his cholesterol stays higher than recommended. One thing that does help lower his cholesterol is regular exercise. He eats a moderate carb diet, 100-150g a day. Another thing that seemed to help lower the numbers some was switching to leaner meats and using 'healthy' fats to cook with. Olive oil, avocado seed oil and other nut and seed oils were the ones recommended to us. I also make sure he is taking 3-5 fish oil pills a day. He kind of hates me for it, but then I show him the 10 I'm taking and he backs off.