BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-16-2016, 09:38 AM

Default what do you think about ketogains?

Bulking on a ketogenic diet (tkd and ckd)
This seems getting more and more popularity.
Also menno henselmans is very interested in this type of bulk diet
Also he mention that ketogains maybe the best diet is for bodybuilders.

study says:
Lean body mass increased to a greater extent in the VLCKD diet (5 % CHO, 75 % Fat, 20 % Pro) as compared to the traditional group (55 % CHO, 25 % fat, 20 % pro):
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/carb...search-update/

a lot more information about muscle growth on ketogenic diet:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/w...one_in_a_while....

ketogains Facebook wins more popularity.
https://www.facebook.com/ketogains/

I wonder what lyle thinks about this and of cours other members of this forum
Unread 05-16-2016, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Menno is hilarious and loves to take stupid abstracts and crap research to support his confirmation bias on the topic. I'm airly sure I know what abstract he's citing and it's by magician Jacob Wilson who's results are completely at odds with any version of reality.

On every level, hormonal and otherwise, it's not optimal.

Ketosis is a catabolic state even in high calories. Insulin down, SHBG up, T3 down, hyou name it and it's not optimal and that nonsense is popular online doesn't change anything. Lots of stupid stuff is popular online.
Unread 11-01-2016, 12:10 AM

Thumbs up kg is generally a good thing imo

i think the framework is gresat for begjnners and the community is smart and curious. people who still have things to learn will benefit from discussions, if onky thru fact checking. Anyone who would want to push it to the next level would be able to recognise openings to make the program better while doing it.

i dont pay for stuff like thus but as far as diy guidance goes its hard to I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. up . the utility to average people with stubborn bodies is high. it shows many a world they barely knew existed.
Unread 11-02-2016, 02:40 PM

What Lyle said. This gets advocated over and over. I saw this being asked 10 years ago and I've read logs of people doing it.

The results suck and the gains are minimal. Keto is not a diet for bulking including CKD and TKD. Your body needs to be in an anabolic state overall for continual growth. As Lyle mentions, anything involving ketosis is catabolic and doing the opposite..
Unread 11-04-2016, 01:10 PM

There is a subreddit called /ketogains. No gains are to be found.
Unread 11-04-2016, 01:32 PM

see #1 in my signature.
4. Use google as well - Add "site:lylemcdonald.com". Google can find those short strings of letters.
5. You are not a rodent so follow up with pubmed (http://pubmed.org) use "+human" "-rat" "-mouse" modifiers
6. Check the STICKY threads.
7. use google to find all my posts.
8. Supplement evidence
9. Private message are cheerfully ignored.
Unread 05-15-2017, 09:44 AM

Hi! I'm a long time lurker and I finally decided to join the forum. I used to be an active member of the ketogains group and would like to offer my opinion. I did the ketogains protocol for two years and it has left me with minimal gains. I'm a female competitor (natural) and was able to cut on a keto diet, but I still suffered during the last few weeks as my bodyfat dropped into the single digits (Dexa scan) just like anyone else. I stayed in keto for two years and guess what? I was hungry all the time. I lost 6lbs of muscle and my libido tanked. The worst part, I became terrified to eat, so there was a severe psychological impact. I am now in the process of reversing out in favor of a moderate carb intake (1g per lb). Keto is NOT a magic bullet. I believe the keto diet has been oversold, and frankly, I am pissed off that this is being advocated without any consideration that female strength athletes might respond differently than men.

Here are my observations about the group:
1) Advocate very low calories indefinitely--some crap about not being on a "culinary tour".
2) Intermittent Fasting is over-prescribed
3) Very anti-cardio and everyone has poor conception of what comprises HIIT training.
4) Not a true athlete to be found there--mostly, formerly obese folks to who blindly think keto is the bees knees, and swiftly conclude one is a failure if keto isn't working for you. In short, they are bullies and are unable to engage in any discourse that runs contrary to their beliefs.

Lastly, I find it very interesting that a certain coaching guru is closely affiliated with that group and advocates keto as a tool, yet he later admits that most of his athletes do not use a keto diet. Where is his evidence it is optimal?

And don't get me started about the recent keto study...It just seems that most of these keto advocates are too agenda-driven.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Unread 05-26-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingoat View Post
Hi! I'm a long time lurker and I finally decided to join the forum. I used to be an active member of the ketogains group and would like to offer my opinion. I did the ketogains protocol for two years and it has left me with minimal gains. I'm a female competitor (natural) and was able to cut on a keto diet, but I still suffered during the last few weeks as my bodyfat dropped into the single digits (Dexa scan) just like anyone else. I stayed in keto for two years and guess what? I was hungry all the time. I lost 6lbs of muscle and my libido tanked. The worst part, I became terrified to eat, so there was a severe psychological impact. I am now in the process of reversing out in favor of a moderate carb intake (1g per lb). Keto is NOT a magic bullet. I believe the keto diet has been oversold, and frankly, I am pissed off that this is being advocated without any consideration that female strength athletes might respond differently than men.

Here are my observations about the group:
1) Advocate very low calories indefinitely--some crap about not being on a "culinary tour".
2) Intermittent Fasting is over-prescribed
3) Very anti-cardio and everyone has poor conception of what comprises HIIT training.
4) Not a true athlete to be found there--mostly, formerly obese folks to who blindly think keto is the bees knees, and swiftly conclude one is a failure if keto isn't working for you. In short, they are bullies and are unable to engage in any discourse that runs contrary to their beliefs.

Lastly, I find it very interesting that a certain coaching guru is closely affiliated with that group and advocates keto as a tool, yet he later admits that most of his athletes do not use a keto diet. Where is his evidence it is optimal?

And don't get me started about the recent keto study...It just seems that most of these keto advocates are too agenda-driven.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Hello
Thanks for your story.
i have seen a lot of the same story's from different people that follow a ketogenic diet.
so you not the only one.
But now i have read your story, i wondering, why did you not stop after a couple week or months? why 2 years follow when you feeling crap and performance suffer?