BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-24-2017, 09:34 AM

Welp, I have since gotten Rip's book, and switched over to SS because 5 across was killing me, and I work out with him. The book has been helpful because it goes into fine detail and we werent doing everything quite right.

Basketball just got finished

He is sitting at 6'2" 255 14 years old, 8th grade

We got into the gym, and he began the novice routine with (work sets)

Squat 95x5x3 (his long assed arms and poor body awareness have made low bar squatting a struggle) have been conservative with this.

Bench 135x5x3 - Bench looks good, shoulders tucked, elbows in.

DL 185x5x3 - This one has been the easiest. My setup was way too complicated before Rip breaks it down pretty simply "Stand inch from bar, bend at waist grab bar, bend knees until shins touch bar, drag bar up legs, proud dchest do not bend knees until bar clears knees, on the way down.

He is still overweight, obviously, I guess my question is what do with diet? Just try and maintain weight he is at and keep progressing in weight room?
Unread 02-24-2017, 11:42 AM

I would let hem drop some weight so he has a 'healthy' fat percentage. I believe that the set(tling) point can still change somewhat in puberty. Maybe someone else can explain that.
Unread 02-24-2017, 02:01 PM

He always chunks up right before he grows taller. Has always been like that, but lately he's been a bit too chunky.... was playing on 2 basketball teams, all that cardio just made him hungry I guess.
Unread 02-24-2017, 04:25 PM

Seems like in sometimes that weight and height increase hand in hand, then they stop growing and weight overshoots.
Unread 02-24-2017, 07:04 PM

If I were you, I'd help your kid diet down, sensibly. Idea is, you want to give him some options in life other than football. Being fat at that age sucks.
Unread 02-27-2017, 08:09 AM

Welp, my wife was told by the Dr to lose some weight. When we went food shopping, we only shopped the perimeter of the store, except for some frozen mixed veggies that come in the microwaveable bag. It actually cost a lot less despite shopping at Weggmans and buying fresh seafood and those vaccuum packed chicken breasts and sirloins..

Last night

Grilled Haddock

Mixed veggies

4 cheese polenta

The boy had a protein shake and an apple for "dessert" because he was still hungry and jonseing something chocolate. I also measured him .5 inch taller than he was before. So it appears he is into another growth spurt. I plotted out his growth chart and it just goes off the chart above 76" which is as high as the Y axis goes on the chart.. I think he is going to be 6'6" at least.

I think we are having Turkey burgers tonight LOL.

Last edited by billb7581 : 02-27-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Unread 02-28-2017, 09:38 PM

When you first start a weight training program (particularly Starting Strength) you will undergo a nice body recomposition. He will probably pack on muscle pretty fast while losing (or at least not gaining a proportionate amount of fat.

I wouldn't worry too much about cutting right now. Get him on the program for ~6 months and then he will have a nice base build and you can figure out a sensible diet.

A teenage boy on Starting Strength is going to be hungry as an ox . I'd be scared to put him on a restrictive diet lest he lose all motivation to continue working out.

That said it's never too early to start introducing him to a variety of healthy fats like fish, nuts, avocados. Or including him in healthy meal preparation like a crockpot chili.

If you keep him away from the fast food and processed food in general the difference it will make over the course of the rest of his life will dwarf what he could ever hope to temporarily lose on a cutting diet

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 03-06-2017, 11:40 AM

I've got him on a slight cut, and getting strong as possible. He is now a biscut short of 250.

In 6 months football will be underway, and conditioning will be their problem.

It is my understanding that strength adaptations take some time, but conditioning adaptations happen relatively quickly with 2 a days and stuff like that.

His 1 RM on most of the exercises a month ago are now his 3x5 RM.

I am guessing most of that is neural pathways, but we are starting to get to the point where the rubber meets the road with strength adaptations.

He likes fish, so we are incorporating more of that.
Unread 03-13-2017, 06:00 AM

He's down about 5 lbs but lifts are progressing, so I think we are on the right path here.
Unread 03-14-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
He's down about 5 lbs but lifts are progressing, so I think we are on the right path here.
You don't get that big at that age without eating an enormous amount of junk. My kid eats pretty much whatever he wants. Cut out the junk and keep everything the same. If he cuts out the junk his weight will drop quickly. Don't put him on a diet. At his size the amount of calories he has to consume is off the charts. I know my boy will down a Grand Mac, Large fry, and box of donuts for dinner and he's only 106lbs at 5 7" (7th grade). Just cut the junk (Not all impossible so like just the box of donuts ), keep him active and he will be good to go.

Last edited by Toast : 03-14-2017 at 11:13 AM.