BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-13-2016, 04:40 PM

Default [September-to-February] Skinny fat recomposition

Hi,

This be my log.

Long term plan: recomp from 15% down to 10%, then slowly bulk up to ~14%, and so in cycles.

Here I'm just going to track the first phase of the first cycle, which is: slowly cutting to 10%.

Some rough calculations:
Starting stats:
  • 61.5kg,
  • 15% bf,
  • 52 kg LBM,
  • 9kg fat,

Goal stats; note that I'm quite a beginner to weight training (though I used to think differently...):
  • ~59 kg weight, // -2.5 kg
  • 10% bf,
  • ~53 kg LBM // +1 kg
  • 6 kg fat // -3kg

Don't really know how easily this is feasible (I'd appreciate anyone weighing in on all this). On the whole that's roughly 6.6 pounds of fat to shed. At 0.5 pound per week that would mean 13 weeks; to be conservative, round up to 14 weeks. To keep it feasible, I'll break this in a couple of segments with a 2-week break in between, so a rough total of 16 weeks = 4 months.

4 months: That's the goal for finishing the first half of a cycle, the cutting phase, to reach 10% bf. From there on, going full circle (the bulking phase, to reach ~14%) should take 4 more months. Adding a break in between, it should end up at 8.5 months. Which would be around May/June.

This is an idealistic plan, however, as it doesn't account for some travel I'll have to do:

Restrictive travel times
  • 20 sept -- 27 sept (1 week): no gym, hard to keep diet (diet break)
  • 27 oct -- 13 nov (2.5 weeks): travel a lot, moderate activity (surfing, hiking), hard to keep a controlled diet, so it's a diet break
  • 12 dec -- 16 dec (1 week): no gym, moderate-low activity (possible snowboarding), diet break
  • 24 dec -- 1 jan (1 week): mandatory Christmas / New Years' break, no gym, low activity, diet break
  • since the two previous periods are close to each other, it makes sense to concatenate them, so I'll account them in a single block of 12 dec -- 1 jan

Breakdown by periods, while accommodating the restrictive weeks

Cutting phase:
  1. Start diet break // 13 sept -- 31 sept // 2.5 weeks
  2. Segment #1 of cutting // 1 oct -- 27 oct // 4 weeks
  3. Diet break due to travel // 27 oct -- 13 nov // 2.5 weeks
  4. Segment #2 of cutting // 14 nov -- 11 dec // 4 weeks
  5. Diet break due to travel // 12 dec -- 1 jan // 3 week
  6. Segment #3 of cutting // 2 jan -- 12 feb // 6 weeks

From here onwards it's tentative and will remain so. I'll most likely bring up another log for the bulking phase, when my travel plans for the period become more concrete:
  1. Diet break // 13 feb -- 26 feb // 2 weeks
  2. Bulking (which I'll be looking forward to) // 27 feb -- 2 jul // 14 contiguos weeks

A bit of detailed breakdown to plan for what's ahead:

1. Start diet break

This is necessary since I was dieting prior to this protocol.
  • 13 sept -- 31 sept (2.5 weeks)
  • Kick-up hormones, emphasize carbs and proteins
  • Maintenance caloric level, around 1.8k kcal this might change / not sure entirely what is my maintenance
  • Macros: proteins / carbs / fat: 120 / 200 / 55
  • Allow 2 free meals per week, where I won't count calories
  • Try to keep carbs over 150 grams / day

2. Segment #1 of cutting
  • 1 oct -- 27 oct (~4 weeks)
  • 20% deficit, i.e., 1450 kcal / day might change
  • Proteins (grams) / carbs / fat: 130 / 160 / 30
  • Allow 1 free meal per week, where I won't count calories

The rest of diet breaks & cutting segments will be similar in spirit to these two.

For training, I'm following 4-days per week program: tension (Monday), metabolic (Tue), tension (Thu), metabolic (Fri). I've been planning to detail it in a future post.
Unread 09-13-2016, 04:55 PM

For visual assessment, starting pics:
one and two.

First day summary: bad.

Started magnificently:
macros: 137 / 171 / 34
= 1500k kcal

But later in the evening I broke down -- it dawned on me that I'm on a freaking diet break and I should eat more, that I'm too skinny, that I have a systemically slow metabolic rate, so I ate.. around 2.5k kcals. I cooked some pasta, then peanut butter, quark, coconut chips, cake, protein cookies, and also some oats. Roughly, in macros I'd say at least: 100 / 200 / 100.

Tomorrow I have a dinner with friends planned (roughly 1k kcal). So up to dinner time I'll consume at most 700 kcal, leaving me a buffer for a tasty burger and at least a beer.
Unread 09-14-2016, 12:28 AM

Default Day 2

Slept: 6.30 hours, 1am to 8am (insufficient).

Breakfast:
small banana and quark: 17 / 26 / 1; 180 cals

(will edit this post as the day goes through)
Unread 09-14-2016, 04:53 AM

I estimated your maintenance to be around 2400

So even if you have a naturally slow metabolism I wouldn't be worried about pushing up to 2000 for maintenance. I'd also be consciously trying to push your weights a little bit higher while raising cals.

I'd expect at least 1-2kg of glycogen weight to go along with the increased carbs. Do you take Creatine to help the glycogen storage?

Do you have body fat calipers?

Looking forward to seeing your workout
Unread 09-14-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
I estimated your maintenance to be around 2400

So even if you have a naturally slow metabolism I wouldn't be worried about pushing up to 2000 for maintenance. I'd also be consciously trying to push your weights a little bit higher while raising cals.
Interesting. With zero activity, I get maintenance around 1800. Ok, if I do toss in 4 workouts per week, plus the daily commute by bike, I guess I could reach 2.4k.

Quote:
I'd expect at least 1-2kg of glycogen weight to go along with the increased carbs. Do you take Creatine to help the glycogen storage?
I weighed myself this morning and I got 63.7, +2kg.
Reasons: the binge last night, had breakfast + water, no poop (yet hehe).

I ran out of creatine and stopped taking around 1 month ago, will restart in October.

Quote:
Do you have body fat calipers?
Yes. Was measuring myself every Saturday morning. But I gave up since it seemed so haphazard honestly.

Here are the measurements I did keep.

Code:
---- Aug 27 at 7:59 AM:
Chest: 14 / 8 10 /
Abs: 16 / 16 / 16
Thigh: 16 / 16 / 14
Supra iliac: 12 / 12 / 12

---- Aug 20 at 9:07 AM:
Chest: 4 / 4 / 8
Abs: 18 / 18 / 18
Thigh: 10 / 12 / 14
Supra-iliac: 6 / 12 / 12

---- Aug 13 at 9:15 AM:
Chest: 6 / 6 / 6
Abs: 18 / 14 / 16
Thigh: 14 / 10 / 12
Supra-iliac: 8 / 10 / 8

---- Aug 6 at 10:33 AM:
Chest: 8 / 8 / 8
Abs: 19 / 18 / 20
Thigh: 14 / 14 / 14
Supra-iliac: 10 / 12/ 10

---- Jul 30 at 10:11 AM:
Chest: 8 / 8
Abs: 14 / 16 / 20
Thigh: 13 / 13 / 16
Supra-iliac: 14

Results with online calcular: 12.98% (bull!)
Result from caliper table: 16.4%
Will update my post to put the workout.
Unread 09-14-2016, 03:15 PM

(Ok, it seems I can no longer update my post. Here's my workout for today.)

Here are the exercises.

Some remarks:
  • The workout is inspired from UD2.0 (since I attempted that early at the beginning of my cut, and failed, but I liked the exercises, so it's basically a somewhat diluted, bastardised version of UD2.0).
  • Each workout day has a tension part (H, ~40 minutes) and a metabolical part (M, ~45 minutes)
  • Tension exercises (marked with H) are usually 3x6-8 with 2' rest. Each of these three sets is almost done to failure.
  • Exercises marked with M (metabolical) are higher in volume, inspired by the depletion phases of UD2.0: 3-4 sets of 15 reps each, with 50 seconds per set, emphasize eccentric part (2-3 seconds), and 60 seconds rest in between.
  • Today was workout B.
  • Note that these workouts are all meant for machines. From October I'll be back at a normal gym.
  • From October 1st I'll restart a four-day/week workout inspired by the generic bulking routine. I'll get back once I settle on the details. Anyway: less volume, more tension then.

Wrapping-up today:

Pre-workout I had a protein shake and a peach. Post-workout I ate outside: dinner planned with friends, had a burger (skipped fries) and two beers (2x33cl). Macros for the day: 120 // 154 // 36; total: 1.6k kcal.

I'm slowly building my way up to 1.8k kcal, which should be the maintenance on lazy days. Today I could've eaten more, but given yesterday's binge, I'm surely on the safe side of calories.
Unread 09-15-2016, 01:19 AM

So you don't have access to barbells at the moment?
Unread 09-15-2016, 02:38 AM

Quote:
So you don't have access to barbells at the moment?
Unfortunately no.

Anyway, it's not so problematic I believe -- there are interfering plans which would prevent me from working out fully: Sunday / Monday I have a 230km bike trip planned. And Tuesday I'm leaving for vacation (20th -- 27th).

So essentially I only have three more workouts left before I can switch back to barbells: tomorrow (16th), and when I get back from holiday (28th, 30th).

Today's breakfast:
banana and a small protein shake: 22 / 14 / 1
Unread 09-15-2016, 06:30 AM

How are you feeling eating more? Are you any stronger yet?

I think you should keep practicing with the calipers. Make sure you take the skin fold from the same place half wAy up the skinfold. You won't get a consistent reading if you push it too far towards the base of the skin fold. And make sure your pinching from the same place, not increasing the amount you pinch as you get leaner. You might need to take 5-10 measurements at each site until you figure out what the most consistent approach is
Unread 09-15-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
How are you feeling eating more? Are you any stronger yet?

I think you should keep practicing with the calipers. Make sure you take the skin fold from the same place half wAy up the skinfold. You won't get a consistent reading if you push it too far towards the base of the skin fold. And make sure your pinching from the same place, not increasing the amount you pinch as you get leaner. You might need to take 5-10 measurements at each site until you figure out what the most consistent approach is
Damn, that's quite some mad caliper skill u have. Will try this, thanks!
I do feel less fatigue and less "drained". In terms of strength, we'll see tomorrow, when I'll be doing workout A (chest & triceps whooho!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Absolutely. If you develop a sound muscular base, you'll start to see the results you're after when you turn to cutting.

And if you want support in a log for that purpose, I'd be very happy to provide it on a continuous basis.
My main reason for pursuing a deficit down to 10% bf is that this is what I learned from around here, mainly the philosophies of muscle mass gain post but not only.

I'm getting mixed feedback from the people on the forum (perhaps unsurprisingly). One thing's clear: I'll go on with this diet break until 1st of October. That gives me ~2 weeks to decide whether I'll go on a deficit or a surplus.

Forgot to add this morning's weigh: 62.4 kg (+0.9 from baseline, -1.3 from yesterday).