BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-15-2016, 03:14 PM

How is your excercise selection going to change once you get back in the gym? What are you main movements and your previous highest weights?

i agree with BPP from the estimation thread that you could be lower than you think I'm body fat.
Unread 09-16-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
How is your excercise selection going to change once you get back in the gym? What are you main movements and your previous highest weights?

i agree with BPP from the estimation thread that you could be lower than you think I'm body fat.
Highest weights (6 reps):
  • Squat: 70kg
  • Deaflift: 80kg (still have to practice form)
  • Bench press: 55kg

ps: This was ~4 months ago. Since then, I moved temporarily to a place which only had machines. I lost a bit of size in my legs (leg presses feel awkward compared to squats, so I wasn't pushing myself). I might have lost a bit of strength in legs, but I look much better, esp. since I emphasised upper body workouts. From October, I'm moving back to barbell-based gym.

Exercise selection:

What I'd like is a program that combines tension and higher volume, since I had good results from these. I'm hesitating between the following three:
  • Lyle's generic bulking,
  • Candito Linear Program (link),
  • PHUL (many people seems to have gotten good results with this)

A bit of backstory. I went through roughly three phases since I started going to the gym, almost 2 years ago.
  1. SL 5x5. Bad experience: slow progress, constantly struggled with form for a bit more than a year, despite being consistent.
  2. Tension + volume. I used Candito's Linear Program. It felt immeasurably better to do a 4 sessions per week, and I also got a chance to learn the form of squats and deadlifts. I did this program for ~3 months, March -- May this year. The results for highest weights I posted above are from this period.
  3. Tension + volume on machines. I moved for a summer internship of four months, which is now ending. So for this summer I only used machines and bodyweight. I used the program I posted earlier.

So now I guess you can see why I'd like to go on a tension + volume type of workout.

ps2. In four months with machines, despite caloric deficit, I improved more (appearance-wise) than I did in 1+ year of SL 5x5. Admittedly, I was eating adequate protein.
Unread 09-16-2016, 07:53 AM

you have never been in a caloric surplus, so your observations on what has worked so far are irrelevant

you don't get to make that judgement on any program, until you have tried it while eating something reasonable.

I also think doing a whole 'volume' workout is a waste of time. Save your 'volume' for exercises and isolation that thrives on volume, for example lateral raises bicep curls and rear delt flys and leg extensions. Which are probably going to live towards the end of your workouts.

Mass depletion of glycogen on large muscle groups is the opposite of what you want to do for growth, unless you happy to be eating another 1000cals of carbs around your workout (on top of what you;re already too scared to eat). didnt think so. Leave this for when you;re more advanced.

You do strength work at the start while your nervous system is fresh

tension through the middle

volume at the end with your isolation

its practical and efficient
Unread 09-16-2016, 09:25 AM

What do you have in mind when you're saying strength / tension / volume?

And -- more importantly -- what workout would you recommend? I don't mean necessarily among those three I mentioned.

By tension I mean something around 3x6.
By volume I mean 3-4x12-15.
Unread 09-17-2016, 03:12 AM

Default Day 3

Macros: 109 / 244 / 50
2000 kcal, 100kcal over my target.

Bad part: drank a bit of red wine and had some almond cake in the evening. That's why I went a bit overboard with carbs.

Sleep: had problems falling asleep, got 7.30 hours of good sleep.
Weight: 61.8 (+0.3, -0.6)
Note: I peed four (4!!) times during the night, that's probably why I dropped 0.6 kg from the day before.

Activities: bike to work in the morning (20') + biked in the evening (15' + 15') + workout A below.

Heavy sets:
  • Chest press: 3 sets: 5/3/3; 3' rest.
    I bumped up the weight on the machine from 100 to 110. Last week's workout I was able to do 6 half-reps with 110, now I finished 5/3/3 correct reps.
  • Seated tricep press: 3x5; 3' rest (also bumped up the weight).
  • Cable crossover: 3x8; 2' rest
  • Pushdown: 7/4/4 2' rest (bumped up the weight, felt challenging)

For the metabolical sets, I decided to follow Hectic's advice and focus on increasing the intensity (weight):
  • Upright row: 3x12 (increased weight from 40 to 50); 1'
  • Cable bicep curl: 3x15 (weight on the machine was 20, couldn't increase); 1'
  • Frontal lat row: 3x15 (60 -> 70); 1'
  • Bicep pushups: 3x15 (bodyweight exercise); 1'
  • Superset: Rear deltoid, Side bends, Back extensions -- 2x15 each, 30" rest between each
Unread 09-17-2016, 11:07 PM

Nice work

you could also consider thinking about some long term goals for your strength

Ie: just as you have put a timeframe on when you want to achieve your bodyfat %

You could also put a timeframe on increasing some of your bench dead lift squat (and chinup) numbers by a set amount:

Ie: bench 65 for 6 by christmas
Unread 09-19-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
Nice work

you could also consider thinking about some long term goals for your strength

Ie: just as you have put a timeframe on when you want to achieve your bodyfat %

You could also put a timeframe on increasing some of your bench dead lift squat (and chinup) numbers by a set amount:

Ie: bench 65 for 6 by christmas
Good point!
I'll have 4+4 weeks of uninterrupted training until Christmas. So I guess getting my press from 55 to 65 (though it sounds daunting at this point, honestly) should be feasible if I don't cut calories too hard.

In fact, over the past few days I've been thinking a lot what would be the best way to go after this diet break is over. 20% deficit or 10% surplus. And I'm starting to get comfortable with the idea of going into a slight surplus like other have recommended.

Past 2 days summary: Yesterday I did a long bike trip (~110km, 6-7 hours continuous riding) and today I'm recovering. Yesterday I might have eaten insufficiently. I couldn't track, except protein, but it was around 2500-3000 total. But today I was feeling hungry incessantly; I also reached 3000. Felt a bit bad about it, but I keep telling myself I surely burned I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.loads yesterday.

For the next week (20 - 27th) I'll be on vacation, so no workouts, but I'll track food as closely as humanly possible without ruining the vacation days. Macros goal: 100 / 220 / 50.
Unread 09-23-2016, 09:54 AM

Vacation mode.

Recovered all the sleep I lost during the previous week, got 9-10 hours per night, feels great. Daily macros for the past 2 days: ~100 / ~350 / ~60. Overate some sweets (homemade raspberry pie, cheese pie...).

In terms of weight, fortunately, nothing much changed: 61.7 (+0.2, -0.1). But I expect to come out of this week with a bit more fat on, since I don't have much activity beside walking, and I'm regularly eating over my maintenance.
Unread 09-30-2016, 02:40 AM

Vacation mode ends tomorrow.

Monday (3rd October) will be my first workout day after almost 2-weeks break. Looking forward to it. Over the next few days I'll take some time to draw a concrete workout and post it here. I got a mild back injury, so I will take it easy with workouts for around 2 weeks; I'll use some light stretches over the next 3 days to prepare myself for the workouts.

Also, perhaps surprise:
I decided I'll go with a caloric surplus for the first two weeks and see how my weight changes. That means ~2000 kcal, with macros 130 / 300 / 50. I set it at 2000 because during the break I was eating at around 1800-1900 and I gained a bit of fat.

Other updates:
  • Got food poisoning. For 3 full days I couldn't adhere to my macros, and I ate mostly carbs (pasta, rice, lots' of bread, bananas, crackers).
  • For the past 3 days the scale is somewhat consistent at 62.1 (+0.6 compared to starting weight before diet break).
  • Today I'm restarting to elevate my protein intake and lower carbs to reach my macros.
Unread 10-05-2016, 04:24 AM

Started training again. I decided to give the following program a go: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-m...rkout-routine/

I'm consistently weighing myself every morning, and I'm fluctuating pretty much in the 61.5 -- 62.5 kg range. Macros are correct, so I expected a bit of more weight gain. Next week I'll perhaps try a slight increase, something like +10 grams of protein and +20 grams of carbs, amounting to 100+ kcals per day.

One problem I currently have is mixing sports with training. Many friends are going climbing and I also tried it & liked it. So I'd like to restart climbing. However, given 4 days of training per week, there isn't really a good day when climbing could fit.

I moved back to my old apartment and I'm trying to set up a morning routine of stretches, weigh-ins, and shoulder exercises to fix posture. Will post this in the following days.