BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-06-2016, 11:48 AM

Today was Upper Body B workout. Felt a bit of muscle fatigue because of bouldering yesterday. Looking forward to the Squats tomorrow.

Macros for the day: 137 / 295 / 44 (2068 kcal).
Weight in the morning: 61.6 (+0.1, -0.2).

I'm starting to suspect my scale is off, because it keep reporting low numbers, <62; note that I switched to a different scale because I move to my old apartment. The mirror (and pinching myself) tells a different story: that there is a bit of fat gain around the abdomen and on the pecs. My legs, face, etc. on the other hand, look the same.
Unread 10-13-2016, 02:16 AM

Tomorrow I'll have two weeks of +10% caloric surplus. My weight grows slowly (and hopefully not too much fat will accumulate). Currently, it oscillates between 61.9 and 62.5. I'm shooting for 0.25kg per week. I go for 2.2k kcal on non-workout days and 2.3k kcal on workout days.

A big thanks to Hectic and BigPecsPeter. After a lot of hard thinking, I realized that they are right: that I should not pursue dieting and instead focus on a period of muscle gain (bulking).

So I'm closing this thread, given that I'll go for 12 weeks of bulking, with a deload perhaps at week 6, depending on how I'll feel. Probably somewhere around end of December, beginning January I'll re-asses my state and try a mini-cut or continue bulking for another stretch of 12 weeks.
Unread 03-19-2017, 11:37 AM

Roughly 4 months of bulking passed.

Comparison photos:

september '16 1 ~ 62kg
september '16 2 ~ 62 kg
march '17 1 ~69kg (+7kg)
march '17 2 ~ 69 kg (+7kg)

My lifts (1RM) went up as follows:
squat: 82 kg -> 96 kg
bench: 62 kg -> 78 kg

I still have a lot to go in terms of strength, I know. However, the problem is that I noticed I am sabotaging the bulk I started feeling uncomfortably fat and the gaining phase tapered off since roughly 4 weeks ago. Basically, I'm not eating enough.

So I feel I am at a crossroad: I can either force myself to continue bulking (track kcal again and make sure I'm at a surplus, otherwise I'll stop progressing), or I can begin a period of cutting.

Any advice? Should I try an aggressive RFL for a few weeks and then bulk again? Or a slow cut? I feel forcing myself to continue bulk would be the worst idea.
Unread 03-19-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetachedLad View Post
Roughly 4 months of bulking passed.

Comparison photos:

september '16 1 ~ 62kg
september '16 2 ~ 62 kg
march '17 1 ~69kg (+7kg)
march '17 2 ~ 69 kg (+7kg)

My lifts (1RM) went up as follows:
squat: 82 kg -> 96 kg
bench: 62 kg -> 78 kg

I still have a lot to go in terms of strength, I know. However, the problem is that I noticed I am sabotaging the bulk I started feeling uncomfortably fat and the gaining phase tapered off since roughly 4 weeks ago. Basically, I'm not eating enough.

So I feel I am at a crossroad: I can either force myself to continue bulking (track kcal again and make sure I'm at a surplus, otherwise I'll stop progressing), or I can begin a period of cutting.

Any advice? Should I try an aggressive RFL for a few weeks and then bulk again? Or a slow cut? I feel forcing myself to continue bulk would be the worst idea.
Good on you!

I understand. You should just diet, right now. Maintain strength. Then bulk again. RFL or a normal diet, not aggressive RFL.

The size you've gained is not going to go away. Seriously. Don't worry about losing muscle until you've gotten big. If you are lifting weights, you will basically only get slowly bigger over time, and stop growing growing while you diet. You also continue to practice while you diet, and when next you bulk, you'll be better situated to progress.

Most importantly, don't let yourself get unhappy with your body. When the progress is so bitter, it sucks. Bulking makes more sense as you become more advanced.
Unread 03-22-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Good on you!

I understand. You should just diet, right now. Maintain strength. Then bulk again. RFL or a normal diet, not aggressive RFL.

The size you've gained is not going to go away. Seriously. Don't worry about losing muscle until you've gotten big. If you are lifting weights, you will basically only get slowly bigger over time, and stop growing growing while you diet. You also continue to practice while you diet, and when next you bulk, you'll be better situated to progress.

Most importantly, don't let yourself get unhappy with your body. When the progress is so bitter, it sucks. Bulking makes more sense as you become more advanced.
Thank you, appreciate your advice!
I will start then with RFL as of this Saturday. I'm really looking forward to this, can't remember the last time I was as enthusiastic as this!