BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > UD 2.0
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-19-2016, 01:03 AM
Banned

The volume is off on almost all days:
- Depletion days need a volume of 12 sets for the main muscle groups and little bit less for overlapping muscles (e.g. arms).
- Tension day has too many exercises.

The exercise selection is poor on almost all days:
- There's too much overlap on almost every day. Some muscles will be overworked, some will be under-worked. For example: look at your tension day and notice there are 4 exercises (yes 4!) that work the front delts. Also, you're not training side delts or abs.
- Depleting on deadlifts, squats, front squats, etc. is a sign that you either didn't read the book or are stubborn beyond believe (or superman).

I can go on, but I think you get the point. My advice would be to take the example workout from the book and make smart substitutions based on the material/hardware you have at your disposal. Ensure that a) your bodyparts are hit in a balanced manner, b) volume is correct and c) complex barbell exercises are avoided on depletion days.
Unread 10-20-2016, 05:40 AM

Thanks a lot for the replys guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion009 View Post
Well, just off the top of my head the book does say you need to do 10-12 sets per bodypart for your depletion work. Not 3.

Lyle lists as his favorite doing full body - 6 sets for each body part Monday and 6 sets for each body part Tuesday.

Another suggestion in the book was to use machines due to how fast you can change the weight and keep going. The idea of squatting and deadlifting, on low calories, doing depletion work just makes my body shake thinking of it.
One of my problems with this workout style, is i only got a squatrack and a pulldown machine, i'm a big fan of heavy compound exercise, and want to try combine it with UD.
Lyles says - as i read it - doing 5-6 set pr. bodypart. I do 6 set pr. major body part on deplation.

I use to diet Carbbackloading, so i am some kind of familiar with the deplation issue

I did the hardcore workout yesterday, squat deadlift so on, i was a living hell. I was totally wasted after, i completet it, but it was hard as f*ck.
My legs has never felt so sore

Quote:
Originally Posted by semipartial View Post
The volume is off on almost all days:
- Depletion days need a volume of 12 sets for the main muscle groups and little bit less for overlapping muscles (e.g. arms).
- Tension day has too many exercises.

The exercise selection is poor on almost all days:
- There's too much overlap on almost every day. Some muscles will be overworked, some will be under-worked. For example: look at your tension day and notice there are 4 exercises (yes 4!) that work the front delts. Also, you're not training side delts or abs.
- Depleting on deadlifts, squats, front squats, etc. is a sign that you either didn't read the book or are stubborn beyond believe (or superman).

I can go on, but I think you get the point. My advice would be to take the example workout from the book and make smart substitutions based on the material/hardware you have at your disposal. Ensure that a) your bodyparts are hit in a balanced manner, b) volume is correct and c) complex barbell exercises are avoided on depletion days.
I get your point, and if i have a whole gym, i would stick with the example workout. Which exercise would you substitute?

As said above, depleting on squat etc. was a hell, but good feeling afterwards

And which exercise would you remove on tension day? I got, 2 exercise for every big bodyparts, and 1 for the minor. Should i make it like this:

Thursday
Squat 2x6-12
Frontsquat 2x6-12
Deadlift 2x6-12
Rows 2x6-12
Bench 2x6-12
Military Press 2x6-12
Biceps 2x6-12
Triceps 2x6-12
Unread 10-21-2016, 08:52 AM

Hmm, can edit previous post, but:
I see you asking about abs, i do abs on day 1(monday) and 3(Thursday)
I was doing Thursday workout today, and i must admit, it to many exercise, i has remove frontsquat and side lateral, and flyers.
Squat 2x6-12
Deadlift 2x6-12
Rows 2x6-12
Bench 2x6-12
Military Press 2x6-12
Biceps 2x6-12
Triceps 2x6-12

Thoughts?
Unread 10-22-2016, 08:39 PM

Like others have said you need to re-read the book. Don't over complicate this. Just do what it says without modifying it and report back with your results. If it's not working after a few weeks you have your own permission to modify it.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 10-22-2016 at 08:40 PM. Reason: A
Unread 10-26-2016, 03:51 AM

I have re-read the book, but my main problem is, i dont have acces to a gym. I only have my home gym; A olympic barbell, squat rack, Pulldown machine and a set off dumbbell.

Before i have great succes doing complex barbell excersice, squat, bench, deadlift etc.

Is it not possible to make a UD 2.0 training protocol, with only a barbell and some dumbbell?

Thanks in advance
Unread 10-26-2016, 01:38 PM

Not impossible, but just more dangerous for depletion work in my opinion.

Upper body stuff is doable in that you can use dumbbells or bar for bench - and if/when you reach failure just lower the barbell to your stomach and crawl out from under it. Chances are the weight on the bar won't be so heavy as to crush you. You already have the pulldown machine so back and triceps can be done there. Dumbbells or barbells for shoulders and biceps.

Lower body is trickier but I suppose you could do RDL for hamstrings and instead of back squats I would consider Bulgarian split squats with dumbbells - again, so you don't fold in half as you get exhausted with weight on your back.
Unread 11-01-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrenator View Post
Not impossible, but just more dangerous for depletion work in my opinion.

Upper body stuff is doable in that you can use dumbbells or bar for bench - and if/when you reach failure just lower the barbell to your stomach and crawl out from under it. Chances are the weight on the bar won't be so heavy as to crush you. You already have the pulldown machine so back and triceps can be done there. Dumbbells or barbells for shoulders and biceps.

Lower body is trickier but I suppose you could do RDL for hamstrings and instead of back squats I would consider Bulgarian split squats with dumbbells - again, so you don't fold in half as you get exhausted with weight on your back.
Thanks for your reply, i got a spotter, so i'm not worry about failure
But, as i read your reply, choice of exercise for depletion, doesn't really matter, as long you drain your body, but be easy, with the Barbell if you don't have a spotter?
Unread 11-01-2016, 04:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock_holmes View Post
but be easy, with the Barbell if you don't have a spotter?
Well, no. You both need the reps and the intensity to use as much glycogen as possible within the target muscle. The problems with (compound) barbell exercises:

- Technique will suffer. Especially in the higher reps and later sets:
- Consequently, you'll risk injuries.
- Consequently, your body starts to compensate and may target other muscles altogether.
- It takes more time to change weight:
- This means you'll have less rest in between sets.
- Or worse, taking too long before starting the next set.
- Because of the compound nature, you have to take into account muscle overlap.

- Last but not least, you'll be even more exhausted and in pain compared to machines.

Last edited by semipartial : 11-01-2016 at 04:23 AM.
Unread 11-13-2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semipartial View Post
Well, no. You both need the reps and the intensity to use as much glycogen as possible within the target muscle. The problems with (compound) barbell exercises:

- Technique will suffer. Especially in the higher reps and later sets:
- Consequently, you'll risk injuries.
- Consequently, your body starts to compensate and may target other muscles altogether.
- It takes more time to change weight:
- This means you'll have less rest in between sets.
- Or worse, taking too long before starting the next set.
- Because of the compound nature, you have to take into account muscle overlap.

- Last but not least, you'll be even more exhausted and in pain compared to machines.
Sorry for the late reply, had some hard time at the job.
So you say, it's impossible to follow UD, if you don't have acces to a fully equips gym?

I agree in all your point, but i still can't see why it doesn't should work? I agree, it's not optimal, but i have to work with what i got.

Do you honestly mean i should drop UD, and find another protocol (diet and exercise) to follow?

Have a nice sunday
Unread 11-16-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock_holmes View Post
Do you honestly mean i should drop UD, and find another protocol (diet and exercise) to follow?
Honestly I don't think you will get the desired results to the effect without more equipment. And (just my opinion) but doing something sub-optimally when there are better approaches for your lifestyle seems counter-intuitive.

Unlike other "diets", UD 2.0 works well because there is a specific training protocol which matches the food intake.