BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Default Bodyweight training and cycling

I posted a few weeks ago about cycling, I took a couple of peoples (including Lyle) advice on training and researched some plans that looked reasonable and have been enjoying the rides and gains.

I have a sportive on 26th of this month so that is my main focus right now, I'm cycling 4/week with Tuesday and Thursday some kind of shorter intense session like intervals, Saturday a long steady ride of similar distance to the sportive and Sunday a leisurely aerobic ride. I might cycle on my off days but they're purely for fun/recovery and not at all hard.

I would like to add in bodyweight training to my schedule, I'm hesitant to add in too much so close to the sportive as I don't want to screw things up, which is why I'm posting, but some kind of bodyweight routine e.g. squats, pushups, pullups, core work a few times of week would be cool. I've looked at Lyle's article on combining strength training with century training (great article) but this is slightly different. Using that logic it would make sense to train twice a week on hard days, say Tuesday and Saturday. Would this be advisable? Or would it be okay to do more at a lower intensity (I would be doing bodyweight squats and not many at that for example).
Unread 02-08-2017, 04:32 PM

Personally, I would stick to upper body exercises and do them on the easy days. Don't sabotage your intense cycling days by exercising before them - and exercising AFTER an intense cycling session is a horrible experience. I don't see the point of bodyweight squats with what you are currently doing. Whatever you do, don't sabotage recovery.
Unread 02-09-2017, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrenator View Post
Personally, I would stick to upper body exercises and do them on the easy days. Don't sabotage your intense cycling days by exercising before them - and exercising AFTER an intense cycling session is a horrible experience. I don't see the point of bodyweight squats with what you are currently doing. Whatever you do, don't sabotage recovery.
Yeah it's not an ideal time to be thinking of changes but I don't like to go for too long a period without resistance training even if it is in the form of body weight. Bodyweight squats were in my mind to build up the strength of my legs, more as a way of preventing injury initially before building power comes in to it.

Upper body training sounds good - Chins and push-ups are pretty much what I can do although I do get a bit of pain in my wrist.
Unread 02-09-2017, 08:39 AM

In my experience sort of haphazardly adding strength training to an extensive endurance routine is a good way to end up subpar at either/injured. If its something you really want to pursue, I'd take a look at Lyle's article on the subject (combing weight training with marathon/century training) or The Hybrid Athlete by Alex Viada and come up with an appropriate plan. Otherwise, if its not something you really want to commit to just stick to some light core/upper body work that's not going to cut into your endurance recovery too much
Unread 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM

Update: completed the Kentish Killer today in 2:52. I was aiming for sub 3 hours so I'm happy with that. I intend to incorporate some bodyweight training into my schedule chinups/bridges Mon, squats Weds, pressups Fri alongside my cycling training.

Aside from a Criterium that I've entered for next Saturday (more as a way of dipping my toe in the water than racing), my next event is in May and is a flat 23 mile ride which should take an hour so a markedly different challenge but one that should allow me to do more than just cycle.

https://www.strava.com/activities/880416589