BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Default Weighted Crunch Form

I am looking to build muscle and strength in my abdominal section. I understand that the abs are like any muscle and weighted exercises (with progressive overload) is the way to go.

With that being said I have browsed around the forum a bit and elsewhere and I have seen the argument go both ways for flexing the spine (for full contraction of the abdominal muscles) to not flexing the spine (ranger danger).

Would you guys say this is the correct form one should aim for?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L5GptvvQaU . I noticed his hips are glued to the floor...If this is not the ideal form could you point me to the correct technique?

Additionally, my situation is unique as I had L5-S1 surgery way back when (6 or so years ago). I feel that starting off low intensity with high reps (3 sets of 20) is the way to go for a while until I build up basic strength and endurance. I think weak abdominal muscles, coupled with tightened hip flexors, lead me to my low back problems to begin with and I feel if I strengthen my abs while stretching my hip flexors during the resting periods and after the ab workout will go a long way to lowering my back pain.

Also if there is a better weighted exercise that is easy to progress on with the abs let me know. I do not know this - I went years without training abs directly.
Unread 02-13-2017, 12:11 PM

Do it on swiss ball, go from extension to neutral and you'll get dynamic ab work without flexing the spine.
Unread 02-13-2017, 04:20 PM

If this is considered a hijack, just let me know, but it's related.

What is the cause of a pain/discomfort when hyper extending the back on the ball? Just too much extension? Hence, hyper extension...
Unread 02-14-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugsaredrugs View Post

What is the cause of a pain/discomfort when hyper extending the back on the ball? Just too much extension? Hence, hyper extension...
Perhaps just too much extension....when I extend on a swiss ball I feel good and get a sense of relief in my lower back area; an area that has been troubling me for years.
Unread 02-14-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugsaredrugs View Post

I'd be curious as well.

I always thought, when it comes to say lower lumbar spine issues, that the extension position helped pain located here where as rounding the spine caused issues.
Unread 02-25-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by hugsaredrugs

What is the cause of a pain/discomfort when hyper extending the back on the ball? Just too much extension? Hence, hyper extension.

Discomfort just occurs when you have moved any part of your body near or beyond what its current tissue and stress tolerance limits are. I would classify discomfort as the early part of the movement related pain experience.

Pain itself is much more complicated than we give it credit for. It not only involves biological/biomechanical properties (the spine itself and the extension of it), but also psychological and social aspects that are just as important.

At the end of the day if it hurts and you must do it, go slow and reduce the range of motion and build up from there.