BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-25-2017, 02:27 PM

Default To gain or to lose

Hi.

Thank you for the input you've given me in the couple of threads I've put up regarding my diet.
The questions in those threads were regarding cutting - at 140lbs 5'8 I've been wanting to cut from 14% body fat to 10% and then start gaining.

Three months ago I went from 120 lbs to 140 and put on some muscle, but I've decided before I continued I wanted to get my bodyfat percentage down to 10%, for various reasons including motivation in seeing my progress better, enhanced insulin sensitivity and to off set fat gain to a degree as I gained weight so I didn't go up too high.

However, after the realisation that I wasn't losing on 1700 calories a day and that I actually needed less (possibly a lot less) to the extent where hitting recommended protein and fat requirements would be incredibly difficult, and with some health concerns I had regarding cutting at 20 years old that the body hadn't fully developed by then, (I read another article today about how the brain doesn't fully develop until age 25)I'm somewhat unsure.
Opinions in my other thread seemed to be fairly unanimous on the fact that it shouldn't damage development but I'm still unsure as of the ins and outs.

As Lyle said to me it could be that I need to be at as low as 8 calories per gram before I saw fat loss, which would be difficult to hit my macros at.

I've been lifting about three months now, and I'm wondering whether a body recomposition might be my best bet?
How to go about it I'm not sure yet (I'll search the site for information on it) but as far as I know the principle is that as a beginner, you can gain a small amount of muscle and lose a small amount of fat at the same time.

Would this be advisable? Or would it be easier and better to just do a short cut?

Thanks a lot.

Edit: just realised that isn't a great title in relation to the question, my apologies.
Unread 02-25-2017, 05:54 PM

I would go with a short cut. Body recomposition tends to work best in overweight beginners. You started out underweight and even if you're a bit fatter now, it's not the kind of BF% that Lyle would consider to be overweight. Plus you made good gains in muscle mass during 3 months, so while you might still be able to gain some muscle while losing some fat, that one advantage you had is starting to go away now.

You can bring your fat intake down to the mid 40's and cut your carb intake by 50 grams or so. That's almost 400 calories cut right there without really compromising performance or "requirements".

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...g-fat-qa.html/
Unread 02-25-2017, 09:34 PM

I was kind of anorexic in highschool. Is that why I'm retarded?
Unread 02-26-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solis View Post
I would go with a short cut. Body recomposition tends to work best in overweight beginners. You started out underweight and even if you're a bit fatter now, it's not the kind of BF% that Lyle would consider to be overweight. Plus you made good gains in muscle mass during 3 months, so while you might still be able to gain some muscle while losing some fat, that one advantage you had is starting to go away now.

You can bring your fat intake down to the mid 40's and cut your carb intake by 50 grams or so. That's almost 400 calories cut right there without really compromising performance or "requirements".

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...g-fat-qa.html/
Thank you for the reply and for the link.
I did search the site for articles relating to that but for some reason didn't come across it.
After reading it and the other two "calorie partitioning" articles clearly the approach of gaining muscle and lose fat at the same time, as both you and the article have cleared up mentioned.

So two choices with that out of the equation;(the title now actually more apt) I can simply either start gaining or losing.

While doing a short cut would be the preferred option as you've said, there are some concerns I have with it other than just idea of not being fully developed at 20 and those implications.

In the two calorie partitioning articles as you'll probably have read Lyle goes through what happens when both under and over eat.
Focusing on the undereating portion, he said the hormonal adaptations that occur in attempts to essentially stop you from starving creat difficulty in achieving the goal, especially the leaner you get.

Aspects such as the elevation of cortisol and the slew of catabolic effects that has, the fact that testosterone is lowered quite considerably etc clearly illustrate that muscle loss is inevitable.

That, paired with the fact that my calories are likely going to have to be very low (1400 at the very least at 10cal/lb, and Lyle said to me that I could require as low as 8cal/lb) I'm concerned that will only make those negative effects even worse than someone whose able to cut on much higher calories.

If I ended up with drastically reduced muscle mass along at the end of the cut, by the time I'd put that back on my bodyfat percentage would be back up and I'd have essentially done a 360 and be back where I was. At least that's what I'd worry would happen.

I'm presuming I'm wrong in my thinking somewhere there? as if I weren't no one would ever be walking around muscular with low body fat percentages as they'd just be spinning their wheels.

I shall carry on reading and re-reading articles from the main site.

Thanks a lot