BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-09-2017, 02:06 AM

Just read my previous post.

Bodybuilding doesn't burn a lot of calories. Focus on the diet and follow the steps...
Unread 03-09-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Just read my previous post.

Bodybuilding doesn't burn a lot of calories. Focus on the diet and follow the steps...
Um, it can do. A hard heavy weightlifting session lasting an hour or so could burn a good 500kcals. That's a hefty burn in the context of somebody with a lower maintenance.
Unread 03-09-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
You don't need an expensive coach, because the basics are quiet simple. The only thing in the universe that makes you lose weight is the number of calories you consume. Eat less than your body needs.

Follow this protocol:
- Make an estimate of your maintenance calories (see main site).
- Remove the number of calories you feel comfortable with (let's say 500 kcal).
- That's it. Eat that final number daily for a few weeks.

Measure yourself daily and try to notice a trend. Does it go up? You need to eat less. Does it stay the same? You need to eat less. Does it go down? Great!
This is good advice. I'd just add that you'll need to track through at least one full menstrual cycle, preferably more, to know whether you are losing or gaining at the calories you initially set. Just one of the joys of being female. (But, there's probably no prostate or testicular cancer in your future, so that's lucky.)
Unread 03-10-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataloss View Post
.......I just happened to be speaking to a professional coach and mentioned that I was feeling a little lethargic. (I still felt I was fat etc), They said I needed to eat twice as much and stop the cardio.

That's where it all started to unravel.
Quote:
......Basically stopped all cardio a few years ago. But I still train hard (bodybuilding/strongman style).

I really need help.
You already identified the problem. You increased your intake and reduced activity.

I don't understand the rationale for not doing cardio at this time. You already have plenty of muscle underneath all the fat, you don't really need to try adding more muscle. Focus on burning fat instead of building muscle. If you're short on time, trade some of that time for cardio.

Cardio at moderate intensity and your weight, should burn at least 500 calories/hr. If you combine that with reducing your calories by another 500 (given your current intake), you could start losing 2 lbs/week.

Last edited by Raquel130 : 03-10-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Unread 03-10-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel130 View Post
You already identified the problem. You increased your intake and reduced activity.

I don't understand the rationale for not doing cardio at this time. You already have plenty of muscle underneath all the fat, you don't really need to try adding more muscle. Focus on burning fat instead of building muscle. If you're short on time, trade some of that time for cardio.

Cardio at moderate intensity and your weight, should burn at least 500 calories/hr. If you combine that with reducing your calories by another 500 (given your current intake), you could start losing 2 lbs/week.
I hate cardio Per se.

I would much rather do heavy carries, sled drags etc at the end of my workout.

I stopped the cardio as I was advised at the time and have been advised since as it is not ideal when reverse dieting.

I have since last week started doing cardio.

And am on 2100 calories at 40/40/20

PS: I love lifting weights, I cannot give that up aa for me that is the GYM.
Unread 03-11-2017, 12:40 AM

2100 is way too high for you if you are trying to lose weight unless you have an extremely active job. Like Lyle already said, your maintenance is probably under 2,000. If you want to see any noticeable changes outside of a pound every 2 weeks (which will most likely be masked by water weight anyway), you're going to have to drop your calories to that 1500 mark again and maybe add in some cardio for good measure. I know it is difficult, but try an intermittent fasting approach and a good old EC stack if you find hunger an issue.

All that said, I think your real problem is that you overestimated your maintenance while you weren't trying to lose weight, resulting in the fat gain you've experienced. You really shouldn't have ever been eating much more than 2k calories a day unless you were intending on doing a bulk. Stop listening to personal trainers; I know so many that have no clue what they're talking about. Listen to logic. Not losing weight? Drop the calories, increase the cardio, or stay where you're at. Your choice.
Unread 03-11-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
2100 is way too high for you if you are trying to lose weight unless you have an extremely active job. Like Lyle already said, your maintenance is probably under 2,000. If you want to see any noticeable changes outside of a pound every 2 weeks (which will most likely be masked by water weight anyway), you're going to have to drop your calories to that 1500 mark again and maybe add in some cardio for good measure. I know it is difficult, but try an intermittent fasting approach and a good old EC stack if you find hunger an issue.

All that said, I think your real problem is that you overestimated your maintenance while you weren't trying to lose weight, resulting in the fat gain you've experienced. You really shouldn't have ever been eating much more than 2k calories a day unless you were intending on doing a bulk. Stop listening to personal trainers; I know so many that have no clue what they're talking about. Listen to logic. Not losing weight? Drop the calories, increase the cardio, or stay where you're at. Your choice.
I know the only 2 times i lost weight was when I was on the 1500 calories and cardio.
But everything I have read and seen since says that low calories are bad and most girls you see who are a lot lighter then me are on 2500 or so. Albeit low bodyfat.

Is that the key? Lose the bodyfat on low calories and as I lean up start increasing them slowly as my bodyfat to muscle ratio will be higher therefore be able to burn/use the extra calories?

Thanks.
Unread 03-11-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Is that the key? Lose the bodyfat on low calories and as I lean up start increasing them slowly as my bodyfat to muscle ratio will be higher therefore be able to burn/use the extra calories?

Thanks.
Not quite.

A pound of fat needs 2-4 calories a day and a pound of muscle needs 6-10 calories a day for maintenance. So there is a difference, not a giant difference.

So if you lose 10 pounds of fat then in theory you need 20 to 40 less calories a day. And if you replace that 10 pounds of fat with 10 pounds of muscle then you would have a maximum increased maintenance of 80 calories presuming an 8 calorie difference.

Lots of detail here:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...equation.html/

I can plug my weight in to a TDEE calculator as 145-150 and get around 1600. If I use my goal weight (136) then it is closer to 1500. Yay.

Here are a few if you want to try them. Some seem to skew lower and some higher. Still have to track your IRL results though:

https://tdeecalculator.net/

https://mytdee.com/
Unread 03-11-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I hate cardio Per se.

I would much rather do heavy carries, sled drags etc at the end of my workout.

I stopped the cardio as I was advised at the time and have been advised since as it is not ideal when reverse dieting.

I have since last week started doing cardio.

And am on 2100 calories at 40/40/20

PS: I love lifting weights, I cannot give that up aa for me that is the GYM.
Like @Physiology said, you got bad advice from your trainer. By your previous post, you were training hard and losing weight just fine. You then got lethargic at some point and the trainer said stop cardio and eat more. Maybe all you needed was to take a break or reduce your exercise volume or rest more often or eat more carbs. Instead, you gained weight in the name of "reverse dieting".

Also, I didn't mean give up lifting and do cardio instead. Just to add to it or modify whatever you're doing so that you burn more calories since your intake is high and you need a deficit.
Unread 03-11-2017, 11:36 AM

It comes down to activity level. You could weigh 120 lbs but if your job requires you to lift light loads or walk 30k steps in a day, you're going to have a much higher maintenance. What kind of job do you have? If it's a desk job, you can try incorporating more activity by getting up and walking a couple hundred steps every 20 minutes or something. Or try a treadmill desk. Or just take an hour walk every day. Not all cardio has to be running. If you're going to have a desk job and not do any cardio though, you can still lose weight, but the sacrifice is you won't be able to eat much. Thus is the laws of thermodynamics.