BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-11-2017, 11:41 AM

And just for reference on the 2.5k calories for a female... I'm a 5'11" male at 180 lbs and I have a job that requires me to walk a fair bit, and I'm in college, so I get a decent amount of walking in going from class to class. My maintenance is definitely no higher than 2.5k. I'm doing a bulk now, and I'm eating 2.8k calories and gaining weight. I think people tend to use 12 maintenance calculators and take the number they like instead of actually figuring out their maintenance through trial and error. On a cut, I would be at a maximum of 1800 calories. I've gone as low as 1200 before (modified RFL type of diet) with 30-60 minutes of medium intensity cardiovascular 5 days a week. Not saying it has to be that extreme, but I drives me crazy to be even slightly hungry and no see the scale move.

TL;DR 5'11" 180 lb 21 year old lightly active male has a maintenance lower than the calories you were eating at 5'6" and age 45, being a female.
Unread 03-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataloss View Post
I know the only 2 times i lost weight was when I was on the 1500 calories and cardio.
But everything I have read and seen since says that low calories are bad and most girls you see who are a lot lighter then me are on 2500 or so. Albeit low bodyfat.
You can't compare yourself with other women but if they're eating 2500, they're either very active or have high NEAT or maybe they're not eating 2500 every single day and you have no way of knowing for a fact. People over/underestimate intake/tdee all the time.

I've been maintaining at 120 +/-5 lbs for 1.5 years eating 1700-1900 and I'm only a couple yrs younger than you. But that's with at least 7 hrs/week of moderate intensity cardio. If I eat more and exercise less, I gain. When I was 152 lbs, I had to eat only 1500 to keep from gaining, but I was also sedentary. If I was sedentary at my current 120 lbs, I'd have to go down to 1300 max. If you want to eat more, move more.

Quote:
Is that the key? Lose the bodyfat on low calories and as I lean up start increasing them slowly as my bodyfat to muscle ratio will be higher therefore be able to burn/use the extra calories?
Thanks.
The key is to not go so low that you can't function or sustain it and not so high as to not get any results, which is where you are. If you don't want to go down to 1500, you don't have to. If 2100 is not working, then go to the middle and try 1800. You don't have to be on on

Last edited by Raquel130 : 03-11-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Unread 03-11-2017, 03:21 PM

....on either extreme..
Unread 03-11-2017, 09:51 PM

I think that they have been the problem when I was on Avatar Nutrition. It started me on 1800 and kept dropping each week till it reached 1200 and I said enough. It was way too low for my liking ( going on what I read).

I did lose weight though.

Theory on cardio: constant in: walking on a treadmill uses calories I consume. Whereas HIIT may use calories while I'm actually doing it 15 minutes but will burn fat for longer ie: not use calories. So does that mean HIIT does not really have an impmact on my daily calorie intake.?
Unread 03-11-2017, 09:53 PM

I know!
Unread 03-12-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Theory on cardio: constant in: walking on a treadmill uses calories I consume. Whereas HIIT may use calories while I'm actually doing it 15 minutes but will burn fat for longer ie: not use calories. So does that mean HIIT does not really have an impmact on my daily calorie intake.?
Why not both?

Variety is good, particularly with cardio. For me spin classes = interval training, some above threshold work. Rowing depends on the day...might try to sprint for 500m, then back off, or go hard for 2k, or just stay steady. Walking outside is nice IMO, walking on the treadmill is boring so I fiddle around with the speed/incline; usually change it for every song.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ng-part-1.html
Unread 03-12-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I think that they have been the problem when I was on Avatar Nutrition. It started me on 1800 and kept dropping each week till it reached 1200 and I said enough. It was way too low for my liking ( going on what I read).

I did lose weight though.

I wouldn't focus on which source of energy (food or stored fat) a particular exercise is using at that time. Just think in terms of the net effect of a whole day. Even if an exercise were to use up the food eaten for energy, at some point, if your body is in a calorie deficit, it will have to tap into body fat. Just focus on increasing TOTAL energy expenditure from various activities.

Can you post the foods you eat in a typical day? We might be able to find something you can change/remove/swap that would reduce calories but not affect your level of satiety.
Unread 03-13-2017, 01:28 AM

Breakfast: 50g Oats/30g Protein Powder

Post workout: 40g Protein powder, Lunch 30 mins later.

Lunch: Tuna/Rice/Avocado

Snack: Oat Bar/Chobani/Strawberries or grapes.

Dinner: Meat (chicken/fish/steak) and Green Green Veg

Snack: Toast (sot linseed), Egg/Avo or Chobani/Walnuts.

Bed: CASEIN Protein shake and whatever else needed to make up Macros if running low.
Unread 03-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Breakfast: 50g Oats/30g Protein Powder
Post workout: 40g Protein powder, Lunch 30 mins later.
Lunch: Tuna/Rice/Avocado
Snack: Oat Bar/Chobani/Strawberries or grapes.
Dinner: Meat (chicken/fish/steak) and Green Green Veg
Snack: Toast (sot linseed), Egg/Avo or Chobani/Walnuts.
Bed: CASEIN Protein shake and whatever else needed to make up Macros if running low.
This is what I would do:
1. Remove all that protein powder and eat real food instead. You're going to be fuller and you'll get more nutrition (vitamins,minerals,fiber). A healthy diet should never have to rely on a processed product to meet your needs.
2. Remove the avocado and nuts snacks. Both are calorie dense (as most fatty foods are) and you can't afford the calories. Eat a bowl of fruit instead. More fullness, less calories. I'm not sure about the soy linseed bread but I looked it up and it's 125 calories/slice. There are breads with half the calories per slice.
3. Bulk up your lunch and dinner with veggie stews. Volume=fullness and veggies=low calories. Eg. potatoes, carrots, peas, lentils, beans in a stew, eaten with your rice (I find brown rice more filling).
4. If you cook your meat and veg with oil, try either reducing the oil you use and in the case of veggie stews, you can skip the oil altogether, it won't change the taste but will add 120 calories/tbsp. Use spices instead.
5. You said your macros are 220c, 165p, 75f. You don't need that much protein. That's what the people selling you those protein shakes want you to believe, so you can keep chugging them. Think about this, the IOC (Int'l Olympic Committee) recommends 1.2-1.6g/KG (not per lb) and that's for ideal weight. At 196 lbs, you're 89kg. So you're at 1.85g/kg of your current weight. And at 5'6", your top end of normal bmi is 154 lbs or 70kg. That would put your 165g at 2.3g/kg which is nearly 2x what the IOC recommends for elite athletes. If you're not one, why would you need way more than they do?
6. Lyle has said on many occasions that the fatter one is, the less lean muscle they'll lose. And women especially, will lose even less. As long as you're working out and eating sensibly, there's no reason to fear that you'll lose muscle. So that's another reason to get rid of the protein shakes since you're already eating meat at lunch and dinner. That, with other mostly whole foods, IS sufficient protein.
7. Your last line indicates you're eating more stuff at the end of the day just to meet macros. That's not smart. If you're not hungry, don't eat. Listen to your body.

Last edited by Raquel130 : 03-13-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Unread 03-22-2017, 08:56 PM

Is there any reason not to add cardio back? There seems to be a middle ground between too much/over training and none.