BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-19-2017, 06:59 AM

Default Question about sleep and recovery.

Hi.

I had a quick question regarding sleep and under-recovery.

last night I barely slept. It was just one of those awful nights where no matter what you do you can't sleep, and I think it was about 6:30AM before I actually got to sleep. Then I was woken up by some road works, and all in all got only about five hours sleep.

I was wondering whether I should be concerned about this as far as being under recovered? My training focus at the moment is raining weight, and using a full body, my week goes ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON/OFF/OFF.

yesterday was a training day and the day I couldn't sleep, and so today is a rest day and I'd be due another workout tomorrow.

obviously with today being a rest day I'll have another sleep before my workout tomorrow, so I was wondering whether or not it would be okay to train tomorrow, or whether because of the lack of sleep last night it'd be a bad idea; taxing my CNS too much.

Thanks a lot!
Unread 03-19-2017, 08:53 AM

One day of five hours of sleep isn't going to affect your physical recovery much. It will have more of an effect on creative work/brainwork type of stuff, and even most of that can be corrected by an afternoon nap. Failing that, a good night's sleep tonight will certainly do it.
Unread 03-19-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
One day of five hours of sleep isn't going to affect your physical recovery much. It will have more of an effect on creative work/brainwork type of stuff, and even most of that can be corrected by an afternoon nap. Failing that, a good night's sleep tonight will certainly do it.
That's good to know.
Thanks for the post.
Unread 05-02-2017, 06:17 PM

I came across this earlier. I still don't think one day of bad sleep really plays into this much but 2 weeks changes things significantly. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20921542

Quote:
Insufficient sleep undermines dietary efforts to reduce adiposity.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Sleep loss can modify energy intake and expenditure.
OBJECTIVE:
To determine whether sleep restriction attenuates the effect of a reduced-calorie diet on excess adiposity.
DESIGN:
Randomized, 2-period, 2-condition crossover study.
SETTING:
University clinical research center and sleep laboratory.
PATIENTS:
10 overweight nonsmoking adults (3 women and 7 men) with a mean age of 41 years (SD, 5) and a mean body mass index of 27.4 kg/mē (SD, 2.0).
INTERVENTION:
14 days of moderate caloric restriction with 8.5 or 5.5 hours of nighttime sleep opportunity.
MEASUREMENTS:
The primary measure was loss of fat and fat-free body mass. Secondary measures were changes in substrate utilization, energy expenditure, hunger, and 24-hour metabolic hormone concentrations.
RESULTS:
Sleep curtailment decreased the proportion of weight lost as fat by 55% (1.4 vs. 0.6 kg with 8.5 vs. 5.5 hours of sleep opportunity, respectively; P = 0.043) and increased the loss of fat-free body mass by 60% (1.5 vs. 2.4 kg; P = 0.002). This was accompanied by markers of enhanced neuroendocrine adaptation to caloric restriction, increased hunger, and a shift in relative substrate utilization toward oxidation of less fat.
LIMITATION:
The nature of the study limited its duration and sample size.
CONCLUSION:
The amount of human sleep contributes to the maintenance of fat-free body mass at times of decreased energy intake. Lack of sufficient sleep may compromise the efficacy of typical dietary interventions for weight loss and related metabolic risk reduction.
PRIMARY FUNDING SOURCE:
National Institutes of Health.