BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Default bathroom scales

According to the current issue of Consumer Reports, digital beats dial every time.

The most accurate, and consistent, digital scales they tested...all plus or minus 1 pound 97-100% of the time...are:

Taylor 7506 $35
Tanita HS-302 $60
Escali B180R $30
Tanita HD-357 $65
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
According to the current issue of Consumer Reports, digital beats dial every time.

The most accurate, and consistent, digital scales they tested...all plus or minus 1 pound 97-100% of the time...are:

Taylor 7506 $35
Tanita HS-302 $60
Escali B180R $30
Tanita HD-357 $65
I bought some weight watchers scale at costco and it is GARBAGE. It looks nice but depending on where it is in my house, my weight will vary up to 8 pounds. I even pulled out a level and tried to find the most level spot and it still says different weights.
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:45 PM

my analog scale doesnt seem too bad. I even weigh it against my daughter, and it doesnt vary at all, and I even weighed some dumbells to make sure it was calibrated.

Wonder why digital beats analog?
Unread 01-06-2010, 03:00 AM
Banned

Analogue scales would be limited by stuff like the width of the scale pointer, vibration, the accuracy of printing of scales, zero calibration etc. Also they are more likely to be misread (parallax errors and bad eyesight).

I think analogue scales look nicer though. I used to have a really nice set of Dualit Scales which were almost as accurate as digital.

They cost me about 75 though.
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post

Taylor 7506 $35
Tanita HS-302 $60
Escali B180R $30
Tanita HD-357 $65

Yep digital is much more accurate. Tanita has been around a long time. My Tanita bathroom scale is probably 15 years old and unfortunately, its very accurate.
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylight View Post
I bought some weight watchers scale at costco and it is GARBAGE. It looks nice but depending on where it is in my house, my weight will vary up to 8 pounds. I even pulled out a level and tried to find the most level spot and it still says different weights.
I don't think you should rule out wells of higher gravity at different points in your house.
Unread 01-06-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persianlady View Post
my analog scale doesnt seem too bad. I even weigh it against my daughter, and it doesnt vary at all, and I even weighed some dumbells to make sure it was calibrated.

Wonder why digital beats analog?
I think he is talking "in general" sounds like your analog is calibrated right as you have done the proper checks..just make sure you stand exactly the same angle and look at the reading straight on with no parallex
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:34 PM

I don't care about accuracy at all, but i do care about consistency. My actual weight doesn't matter as long as i know how i'm doing relative to another point in time (previous day, week, etc.). I just use the same scale in the same location at the same time of day (when i wake up).
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to Nigeepoo

Watch out for carpet pile. That can interfere with all types of scales.

Watch out for glycogen+water. That can cause weight fluctuation of >5lb over the course of a few hours. Do what Zoso wrote.

Blog
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
I don't care about accuracy at all, but i do care about consistency. My actual weight doesn't matter as long as i know how i'm doing relative to another point in time (previous day, week, etc.). I just use the same scale in the same location at the same time of day (when i wake up).
I was thinking the same thing, but then remembered that someone who is basing their caloric intake based on weight times some multiplier, will care about having a more accurate figure.

(although I would still argue that as long as it is consistent, then the inaccuracy is unlikely to devastate the calculation beyond what is already inherent error/slippage in the multiplier concept of caloric intake)