BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
david's Avatar
david david is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,484
Default bathroom scales

According to the current issue of Consumer Reports, digital beats dial every time.

The most accurate, and consistent, digital scales they tested...all plus or minus 1 pound 97-100% of the time...are:

Taylor 7506 $35
Tanita HS-302 $60
Escali B180R $30
Tanita HD-357 $65
__________________
"When I die, if there are no dogs in Heaven, I want to go where they went."---Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:32 PM
bobbylight bobbylight is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
According to the current issue of Consumer Reports, digital beats dial every time.

The most accurate, and consistent, digital scales they tested...all plus or minus 1 pound 97-100% of the time...are:

Taylor 7506 $35
Tanita HS-302 $60
Escali B180R $30
Tanita HD-357 $65
I bought some weight watchers scale at costco and it is GARBAGE. It looks nice but depending on where it is in my house, my weight will vary up to 8 pounds. I even pulled out a level and tried to find the most level spot and it still says different weights.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Persianlady Persianlady is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 658
Default

my analog scale doesnt seem too bad. I even weigh it against my daughter, and it doesnt vary at all, and I even weighed some dumbells to make sure it was calibrated.

Wonder why digital beats analog?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 01-06-2010, 03:00 AM
Sickbean Sickbean is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 369
Default

Analogue scales would be limited by stuff like the width of the scale pointer, vibration, the accuracy of printing of scales, zero calibration etc. Also they are more likely to be misread (parallax errors and bad eyesight).

I think analogue scales look nicer though. I used to have a really nice set of Dualit Scales which were almost as accurate as digital.

They cost me about 75 though.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:38 AM
calgofo calgofo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
According to the current issue of Consumer Reports, digital beats dial every time.

The most accurate, and consistent, digital scales they tested...all plus or minus 1 pound 97-100% of the time...are:

Taylor 7506 $35
Tanita HS-302 $60
Escali B180R $30
Tanita HD-357 $65

Yep digital is much more accurate. Tanita has been around a long time. My Tanita bathroom scale is probably 15 years old and unfortunately, its very accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:41 AM
jigglypuffs's Avatar
jigglypuffs jigglypuffs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylight View Post
I bought some weight watchers scale at costco and it is GARBAGE. It looks nice but depending on where it is in my house, my weight will vary up to 8 pounds. I even pulled out a level and tried to find the most level spot and it still says different weights.
I don't think you should rule out wells of higher gravity at different points in your house.
__________________
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. And bears.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 01-06-2010, 03:13 PM
em1's Avatar
em1 em1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northeast Los Angeles County
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persianlady View Post
my analog scale doesnt seem too bad. I even weigh it against my daughter, and it doesnt vary at all, and I even weighed some dumbells to make sure it was calibrated.

Wonder why digital beats analog?
I think he is talking "in general" sounds like your analog is calibrated right as you have done the proper checks..just make sure you stand exactly the same angle and look at the reading straight on with no parallex
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Zoso's Avatar
Zoso Zoso is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 688
Default

I don't care about accuracy at all, but i do care about consistency. My actual weight doesn't matter as long as i know how i'm doing relative to another point in time (previous day, week, etc.). I just use the same scale in the same location at the same time of day (when i wake up).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Nigeepoo's Avatar
Nigeepoo Nigeepoo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yateley, Hants, United Kingdom
Posts: 344
Send a message via MSN to Nigeepoo
Default

Watch out for carpet pile. That can interfere with all types of scales.

Watch out for glycogen+water. That can cause weight fluctuation of >5lb over the course of a few hours. Do what Zoso wrote.
__________________
"You lost fat by raising calories. Because of magic and voodoo. Or leptin. One of those." McDonald L.

Blog
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:44 AM
jigglypuffs's Avatar
jigglypuffs jigglypuffs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
I don't care about accuracy at all, but i do care about consistency. My actual weight doesn't matter as long as i know how i'm doing relative to another point in time (previous day, week, etc.). I just use the same scale in the same location at the same time of day (when i wake up).
I was thinking the same thing, but then remembered that someone who is basing their caloric intake based on weight times some multiplier, will care about having a more accurate figure.

(although I would still argue that as long as it is consistent, then the inaccuracy is unlikely to devastate the calculation beyond what is already inherent error/slippage in the multiplier concept of caloric intake)
__________________
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. And bears.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.