BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Applied Nutrition for Mixed Sports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-07-2010, 05:35 PM

Default Applied Nutrition for Mixed Sports

I'm going to do this one a little differently than my typical review primarily because this is a little different type of product than those I typically get. Applied nutrition for mixed sports is a video of a seminar given by Lyle McDonald to a host of athletes on a college campus that has been fleshed out into a fully product that can be applied by almost any individual who has an active lifestyle. The package comes in three parts. The video (comprised of two DVD's) which is...the video, the companion slides which are the slides that were presented, and the workbook which could be served as a standalone product covering the same information as the seminar in written form.

The seminar is an interesting listen. It's three hours long so I'd suggest making sure that you've got some spare time before firing them up. Most fitness related DVD's involve the speaker looking like they've either not shat in 3 weeks \ is about to bust one out at any moment or they stare off woodenly at some point behind the camera always making me wonder what is so cool back there and why we're all not looking at that. None of these are the case in this DVD. Lyle is virtually textbook on his speech skills. Rapid, concise, no long pauses, no pitch issues. He just blazes through like he's been doing it his whole life while keeping you interested for the full presentation. For the most part the presentation is very smooth. There are a couple sections where an audience member might ask a question where you might not hear it, but using your powers of context clues you can typically figure out what was asked by the answer. Additionally there are a couple slides that the formatting didn't make it, but that only really effects the suckers who are in the audience since you have a corrected slide in your packet.

The slides are the slides. I don't know any other way of phrasing that one. If you want to look at them while Lyle is talking you now have that ability.
The booklet is probably going to be the unsung star of the package. Some people learn better by hearing and some people learn better by reading and with this package you get both. The booklet covers the same information that's on the DVD but it's a book making it much easier to reference. This is especially valuable because the information itself being very basic level stuff that 99.9% of the people should be using 99.9% of the time.

Notes:
This product is the very first product that anyone interested in sports nutrition should buy. I said it. Why did I say it? This product provides the essentials of sport nutrition and it delivers it in two very accessible formats, and most importantly I challenge anyone that buys this product to NOT be able to apply the information given to their training world. I can't tell you the number of times that I've sat through some presentation about nutrition where everyone is all tickled about the wonderful information they now have and then you ask the question "OK, what are you going to do with it" and you get the blank stare because the information isn't really doable. The information presented here is geared with the bare bones "This is what NEEDS to happen" approach and cuts out all the garbage that doesn't. I give this set an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Find it here
$79.00
Unread 05-07-2010, 05:52 PM

I received my copy yesterday and devoured the eight-some pages by this afternoon.

I think the book’s greatest strength is that the material is presented in a manner that is accessible to the layman. I feel that I could give this to any high school athlete, and that they could walk away with a comprehensive understanding of nutrition for their sport. I’ll probably show the DVD’s to my athletes at the outset of every season.

Another strength is that the information is of an applied, rather than technical, nature. As an overworked, under-paid high school coach, I need material that I can easily implement with my athletes, not some labcoat’s intellectual wanking. Lyle lays everything out very clearly.

At this point, I don’t expect to encounter a ton of new information in any book that I read, especially one of a non-technical nature. This was largely true in the case of Applied Nutrition – the purpose is to teach the basic of nutrition. But, Lyle surprised me a few times – there’s some cutting edge information which is, again, presented in a fashion that makes it easy to apply. Other familiar topics, especially meal planning/preparation, are addressed in novel ways (“modular nutrition”).

While the product is obviously marketed toward the mixed sport athlete, anyone requiring an understanding of the basics of nutrition will benefit. It’s probably fair to say that anyone who combines cardio and weight training in their regimen will find the information useful. Two thumbs up!
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:50 PM

Default Anms

Quote:
Originally Posted by asayers99 View Post
I'm going to do this one a little differently than my typical review primarily because this is a little different type of product than those I typically get. Applied nutrition for mixed sports is a video of a seminar given by Lyle McDonald to a host of athletes on a college campus that has been fleshed out into a fully product that can be applied by almost any individual who has an active lifestyle. The package comes in three parts. The video (comprised of two DVD's) which is...the video, the companion slides which are the slides that were presented, and the workbook which could be served as a standalone product covering the same information as the seminar in written form.

The seminar is an interesting listen. It's three hours long so I'd suggest making sure that you've got some spare time before firing them up. Most fitness related DVD's involve the speaker looking like they've either not shat in 3 weeks \ is about to bust one out at any moment or they stare off woodenly at some point behind the camera always making me wonder what is so cool back there and why we're all not looking at that. None of these are the case in this DVD. Lyle is virtually textbook on his speech skills. Rapid, concise, no long pauses, no pitch issues. He just blazes through like he's been doing it his whole life while keeping you interested for the full presentation. For the most part the presentation is very smooth. There are a couple sections where an audience member might ask a question where you might not hear it, but using your powers of context clues you can typically figure out what was asked by the answer. Additionally there are a couple slides that the formatting didn't make it, but that only really effects the suckers who are in the audience since you have a corrected slide in your packet.

The slides are the slides. I don't know any other way of phrasing that one. If you want to look at them while Lyle is talking you now have that ability.
The booklet is probably going to be the unsung star of the package. Some people learn better by hearing and some people learn better by reading and with this package you get both. The booklet covers the same information that's on the DVD but it's a book making it much easier to reference. This is especially valuable because the information itself being very basic level stuff that 99.9% of the people should be using 99.9% of the time.

Notes:
This product is the very first product that anyone interested in sports nutrition should buy. I said it. Why did I say it? This product provides the essentials of sport nutrition and it delivers it in two very accessible formats, and most importantly I challenge anyone that buys this product to NOT be able to apply the information given to their training world. I can't tell you the number of times that I've sat through some presentation about nutrition where everyone is all tickled about the wonderful information they now have and then you ask the question "OK, what are you going to do with it" and you get the blank stare because the information isn't really doable. The information presented here is geared with the bare bones "This is what NEEDS to happen" approach and cuts out all the garbage that doesn't. I give this set an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Find it here
$79.00
I received my ANMS material 2 days ago and began reviewing last night. As I am more of a visual/auditory learner, I spent more time with the DVDs. Lyle's delivery is exceptionally effective. And I too am very impressed with the info in this package. I totally agree with asayers99 when he says:

"This product is the very first product that anyone interested in sports nutrition should buy."

I look forward to going through ANMS this weekend. It will be mandatory for several of my athletes to view the DVDs this summer.

This was a fantastic investment except that my wife is pissed at me for putting my nose into the book at night when I should be tending to other matters LOL!
Unread 09-20-2010, 11:40 AM

Hey Lyle I'm thinking of getting this package. I know in your articles the baseline diet 2009 it shows some simple procedues to follow (getting calories, enough water etc) in your book/DVD's does it cover these basic things as well?

I am in a sport where strength and endurance matter...I get confused somehow how to tie in the nutrition all together...is it okay to eat an excessive amount of calories constantly to keep gaining muscle while lifting, while doing quite a bit of cardio (which makes it harder to gain muscle). Are these things all covered, foods we should be ingesting as athletes to be at our best vs foods we should perhaps avoid etc.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:51 PM

Hey Lyle and others. I was in a bit of a rush and I'd like to follow up what I was trying to say...I've been thinking of getting the applied nutrition sports package but not exactly sure if it's the route to go. I've read on your site Lyle what the book is about and watched the DVD except. But I don't necessarily want a book just about nutrition. I want to know how to consistently eat for me to gain muscle while keeping my conditioning fairly high, and come competition time how to lower the cals, keep my lbm, and not feel sluggish because I'm not eating as much as I was eating before.
For me to gain muscle it's been the same thing...lift heavy, eat a lot, sleep...repeat. If not gaining, keep eating. Period.
Listening to my body when to back off a bit if I'm not feeling strong that day, I won't lift as heavy and go for more reps.

Aside from that will this product help me with that? If not I'd be more than interested in looking into your other products.
I'm not looking for a quick fix, I'm in this for the long haul.

And if I needed to diet down 8 weeks out for an event..weights would be dropped 4 weeks out from event, cardio would be at an all time high.
Will this product show me how to change for these things and the amount
of nutrition I need to excel, while having a low bodyfat/MAINTAING my lean body mass...doing tons of cardio almost everyday for a couple months to peak for an event I'm sure muscle can be lost if not sufficiently supported in the kitchen lol.

Thanks Lyle...hope to hear from you soon.
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator

The book only addresses body comp stuff in a fairly limited fashion and it is aimed at mixed sports such as soccer, rugby, etc. Not pure bodybuilding/strength training. Just stick with the main articles and the forum.
Unread 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM

I am in a mixed sport though (boxing). My fault for not stating that to begin with...I should've mentioned that and then wrote what I had already wrote above your reply.

Does your answer change now to the questions I had above? lol
Unread 09-21-2010, 03:44 PM

I'm curious as well. I do boxing and compete in Muay Thai at an amateur level and just want to be sure my nutrition is optimally supplementing my training so I can be as close to 100% as possible during training and fights. There's nothing worse than feeling slow and heavy in the ring and not knowing exactly why. Plus, I'm very obsessive anyway, and I'd like to be certain that I'm always progressing in terms of fitness and performance.
Unread 09-22-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstop View Post
I am in a mixed sport though (boxing). My fault for not stating that to begin with...I should've mentioned that and then wrote what I had already wrote above your reply.

Does your answer change now to the questions I had above? lol
I don't think the answer will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle
The book only addresses body comp stuff in a fairly limited fashion
Your concerns are more in-depth than the book deals with. It's probably still a good purchase though if you're not too advanced on your knowledge of nutrition.
Unread 09-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax. View Post
I'm curious as well. I do boxing and compete in Muay Thai at an amateur level and just want to be sure my nutrition is optimally supplementing my training so I can be as close to 100% as possible during training and fights. There's nothing worse than feeling slow and heavy in the ring and not knowing exactly why. Plus, I'm very obsessive anyway, and I'd like to be certain that I'm always progressing in terms of fitness and performance.
The book would probably be a good buy for you. It will give you very practical and easy to follow guidelines to support general health and performance.

EDIT: Actually, this information is right on the sales page.

Quote:
Applied Nutrition for Mixed Sports examines the topic of nutrition for what are referred to as mixed sports. This includes almost all team sports along with many individual sports such as boxing, mixed martial arts and some track and field events.

Basically any sport that has requirements for both endurance and strength/power is considered a mixed sport. Because of the often odd nature of performance requirements, optimizing nutrition for these sports often presents problems that aren’t seen in either the pure strength/power or pure endurance sports.

The book, as well as the accompanying 2 DVD set, approaches the problem in an applied fashion building up the topic of nutrition from the ground up to present a comprehensive examination of how mixed sports athletes can optimize their nutrition.

Last edited by Overkill : 09-22-2010 at 07:26 AM.