BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKrieger View Post
I would agree with you that too many people will accept a rat model if it supports their argument, and then automatically dismiss it if it doesn't and say, "These are rats and not humans".

However, I don't think it's disingenuous to accept rat models under certain circumstances and be extremely cautious with or dismiss them under other circumstances. It depends upon what is being examined, and the magnitude of the differences between rat and human physiology and whether those differences are relevant to the problem at hand.

For example, rats have a greater capacity for de novo lipogenesis than humans, which is why some of the high fructose feeding rodent studies are not completely relevant to humans (particularly given that the fructose contents of the diets are often ridiculously high).

However, in this particular case, I do think the rat model is relevant. It's a model examining the contribution of glucose and non-glucose sources of glycerol for triglyceride synthesis under different dietary conditions. I don't think the differences in rat and human physiology would have a great impact on the applicability of these results to humans. The low carb zealots argue that carbohydrate is required for fat synthesis as a glycerol source. This paper makes it clear that adipose tissue "finds a way". In the presence of high carbohydrate, it will synthesize glycerol from glucose. But in the presence of high fat and no carbohydrate, it will synthesize glycerol through glyceroneogenesis from the ingested triglycerides. And one pathway is not more efficient than the other.

I think it comes down to why someone is dismissing or accepting a rat model.
I think that makes it far too easy to draw a line in the sand wherever you want to in this case.
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyjr View Post
I just saw this thread, very nice to have someone else arguing with Low Carb fruitcakes. I don't understand, why do those people defend their views so much? It's like they're on some super "high" by following their low and zero carb diets?
It's got nothing to do with the diet and everything to do with how the majority are programmed for belief systems. You can find zealots in any aspect of everything; people who want simple answers to complex questions and grab onto the 'religion' of the day and defend it to the end of the earth.
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I think that makes it far too easy to draw a line in the sand wherever you want to in this case.
I'm not quite sure I understand your stance. Are you saying that one should either always accept rat models or never accept them?

Sometimes rat models are the only models available given the limitations of human research. I also fail to see why a rat model is not relevant in this particular case.

The Health Sleuth
Journal of Pure Power
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKrieger View Post
You can't go any lower than zero carbohydrate. This study compared a zero carb group to a high carb group
Sorry, I mis-read the abstract
Unread 10-27-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
It's got nothing to do with the diet and everything to do with how the majority are programmed for belief systems. You can find zealots in any aspect of everything; people who want simple answers to complex questions and grab onto the 'religion' of the day and defend it to the end of the earth.
I completely agree 100%. Very well said. To the extent of believing that there's no other diet/s that will work to reach whatever goal they have.
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:44 AM

Regarding my argument with M. Levac, an animal study would be accepted by him. But I'm looking for one with zero carbs and zero proteins, only fats. Of course, this could not be sustained for too long. He is convinced that it is impossible to grow fatter by eating only fats. I expect that on an all-fat diet, while creating a caloric surplus, you are going to lose lean tissue and increase your fat store. He says that's impossible since nothing would stimulate the release of insulin.

If I can show him direct evidence of this. I would make real inroads. But so far I did not find such a paper.
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:49 AM

Some comedian said it best, "you cannot fix stupid"

Repeat that mantra when you encounter fools, it will help you save your breath, energy and sanity.
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles.Buckley View Post
Some comedian said it best, "you cannot fix stupid"
Ron White (comedian) had a stand-up special called "you can't fix stupid" on Comedy Central some time ago...

But yeah. As a general rule: Even if someone says something overly ridiculous about this, best to just keep quiet as they probably believe it like religion.
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
In French we have an expression that I could loosely translate as: you can't find one any more deaf than one who won't hear. If low carber zealots cared for the truth, how difficult would it be for them to find a handful of nuts who would eat 5000 kcal of fat daily for a week or 2 and see what happens. Don't confuse us with facts/evidence type of thing.
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Or you may try to lure some of the prophets followers to follow you instead...