BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-07-2011, 02:48 PM

Dextrose/matodextrin etc can help if you really struggle to get the cals in, and a quick check round the celiac designed food products will show you that anything carby (flour, bread, pancakes, cake, cereal....) now has a gluten free version. I used to have a celiac girlfriend, so got used to this stuff.
Low fat milk is cool as well.

And open it up to carbs with fat, and there are tons more things.

Also, what Toiletmoose said.

I will try the no grains thing. A little skeptical, but hey, at least it reduces the chance of a placebo effect. And it's not like it will do me any harm to cook outside of my flour/bread/pasta/rice based comfort zone.

Last edited by Miknal : 01-07-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Unread 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenca333 View Post
how can I get enough carbs without grains?
this seems hard to me
Gummi bears & candy corn FTW
4. Use google as well - Add "site:lylemcdonald.com". Google can find those short strings of letters.
5. You are not a rodent so follow up with pubmed (http://pubmed.org) use "+human" "-rat" "-mouse" modifiers
6. Check the STICKY threads.
7. use google to find all my posts.
8. Supplement evidence
9. Private message are cheerfully ignored.
Unread 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletmoose View Post
If you really need to down 5,000 calories, you could something some sweet potatoes and peanut butter, or rice-cakes and nutella for some easy cals.
Wow, 5000 cals with a heap of sweet potatoes would be WAY too much fibre. If anyone wants to try a wheat/gluten free period I'd recommend doing it when on a medium-low carb diet/maintenance anyway (<150g cho) without any carbups, such as a 40/30/30 or TKD, as that way it's pretty much fruit and vegetables for your carbs.
Unread 01-08-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popupwindow View Post
Wow, 5000 cals with a heap of sweet potatoes would be WAY too much fibre. If anyone wants to try a wheat/gluten free period I'd recommend doing it when on a medium-low carb diet/maintenance anyway (<150g cho) without any carbups, such as a 40/30/30 or TKD, as that way it's pretty much fruit and vegetables for your carbs.
On 5000 cals, that diet will not give 150g cho or make it possible to eat all fruit and veg for your carbs.
Unread 01-08-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miknal View Post
On 5000 cals, that diet will not give 150g cho or make it possible to eat all fruit and veg for your carbs.
Which is why I said a diet/maintenance with no carbups. I don't think many people have a maintenance of 5000 calories or would have 5000 calorie days on a non-carb up diet. My whole point was that when eating high carb or doing carb ups, it's not a good time to pull out gluten and wheat, it's much better on a TKD or diet with <150g cho where calories are lower and so are carbs, so getting all your carbs from fruit/veg/tubers is practical.
Unread 01-08-2011, 03:16 AM

I admit I'm a bit confused why it would matter if you eat grains when bulking.
Unread 01-08-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popupwindow View Post
Which is why I said a diet/maintenance with no carbups. I don't think many people have a maintenance of 5000 calories or would have 5000 calorie days on a non-carb up diet. My whole point was that when eating high carb or doing carb ups, it's not a good time to pull out gluten and wheat, it's much better on a TKD or diet with <150g cho where calories are lower and so are carbs, so getting all your carbs from fruit/veg/tubers is practical.
My bad.
Unread 01-08-2011, 03:19 PM

Like Blade said, wheat products, qualitatively speaking, reduce the energy of some people. Such people would take them out or reduce them significantly regardless of macro-nutritional needs.

The 5,000 thing was just an off-hand statement , the point being that getting "concentrated" sources of carbs that are not-wheat is pretty easy (mashed potatoes, dried fruit, fruit juice, )

Realistically speaking, for the average person, getting something like 300g carbs from non-wheat (or whatever was in question, oatmeal included) sources is quite possible. (assuming an average 200p/300c/60f macro split)

That's about 5 "servings" of fruit giving 150g of carb, and another 150g from a starchy source (800g raw potatoes, 200+g raw rice, etc). And don't forget the carbs in veg and dairy.

Of course, that's coming from my perspective, and people who like to eat (like me) obviously don't see the above as very much at all.

And just as a side note, the figure for 5,000 calories came out of this tweet mentioning CarlOlsenJr, a very big man indeed.
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:51 AM

Unless you're Jay Cutler or an elite enduro, why would you need 5000kcals?

The whole point is to adopt this as a lifestyle and eat by hunger, not force-feed calories because you're "bulking" or any such nonsense.

I have no problems getting 4000kcals per day without any grains whatsoever, and this is at 110kg of bodyweight. If you truly can't think of a way to get in calories without grains, I really can't help you.

To add: I actually prefer regular white jasmine/basmati rice.
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:58 AM

Still trying to get my head around this wheat thing (and have been wheat free for a few days).

Is there something specific in the wheat you are cutting it out for (gluten for instance?) or is this one of the things that works with some, and no-one knows why yet? (This becomes important for stuff like vodka).