BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Administrator

I don't think I meant to sound like it was a big deal. But it's a question that comes up from time to time.
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:27 AM

So...I can still make protein pudding (cottage cheese + egg whites) with guar/xanthan gum or konjac on RFL? 'Cause I don't know how palatable/satisfying that sludge is in dismal liquid form...
Unread 11-26-2010, 03:00 PM

I recently read this list of 12 "bad" health foods:
http://diaryofanutritionist.com/2010...arent-healthy/

Which demonizes milk and fiber. I think she's crazy regarding milk (specifically on the topic of casein and the argument that it was once used to make glue so therefore it's bad for you), and thus probably not worth listening to regarding the other bullet points, but still I worry about her statement that fiber binds to stuff like calcium and zinc and transports it out of your body, eventually causing osteoporosis (but then, she claims milk also could be a factor leading to osteoporosis). I regularly eat oatmeal with wheat bran, so it sort of struck home.
----
Edit. I looked up fiber, specifically wheat bran, and its effects on nutrients on scholar.google.com and the concensus seem to be that eating fiber is pretty good for you. Several studies found that it reduces the risk of colon cancer (one study even suggested a significant positive correlation with a high intake of fiber and calcium - http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/88/2/81.short). Drinking lots of water is imperative, but that's a given anyway.
I guess the above list of "bad" health foods could be deconstructed point for point, since a lot of it seem to be based on nutritional myths and hearsay.

Last edited by sven_a : 11-26-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Unread 11-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator

She's completely cracked.
Unread 11-26-2010, 04:20 PM

Oh certified nutritionists... They're a mixed bag. This one seems to be of the fruity "natural health" variety, and they have their own magical brand of what they consider healthy (dairy = evil, food combining, preoccupation with candida and agave/honey...). She does make some points (alternative meat products are processed as hell, if something is jammed full of sugar it's probably not great despite its other qualities, and so on), but she keeps yammering on about things being "difficult to digest." What's THAT all about? I see that point for milk products (lots of people are lactose intolerant), but what does that even MEAN? Like if I don't crap it out in an hour it's stuck in my intestines causing cancer or something?

I have to laugh, because my mom says that sort of thing constantly: "I'm not digesting my food!" Yeah, lady, if that were true you'd be losing weight at break-neck speeds rather than getting fatter. Then she spends a bunch of money on "enzymes."

I just don't get why honey and agave are so much healthier than sugar. Maybe they're "easier to digest." Or maybe the crystals of the sugar will scratch up your digestive system! They're very pointy, you know...

I find her attack on [plain!] popcorn downright bizarre. Like, really? Of all the junk people are eating, you want to steer them away from plain popcorn? Priority check on aile 3...
Unread 11-27-2010, 02:24 AM

Thanks, I'll just have to stop reading stuff like this. Considering that foods like yoghurt, whole milk, oatmeal and wheat bran are a major part of my diet (plus fish, white and red meat, fruit and starchy veggies), I should be in big trouble by now.
Unread 01-11-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMccoy View Post
Net Carbs.
Just a clarification on this: to calculate net carbs, do you subtract the grams of fiber from the total carbs, the way manufacturers do? I always assumed that was just a marketing gimmick.
Unread 01-11-2011, 07:53 PM

If I cared enough, I would subtract fiber.

I've seen atkins products play games and also subtract sugar alcohols and 'resistant starches' or something like that. It might work from a blood sugar, if not calorie perspective. It seems dishonest, but it doesn't actually matter enough to care.
Unread 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrhino View Post
It might work from a blood sugar, if not calorie perspective. It seems dishonest, but it doesn't actually matter enough to care.
Yeah, agreed about sugar alcohols and resistant starches, but the fiber aspect actually could matter a fair amount. There are many bread products -- some tagged as "low carb," others that just happen to be fiber-rich -- that have a profile of about 20g carbohydrates with 10-15g of fiber. When programming these into a low(ish)-carb diet, total carbs v. net carbs is significant.
Unread 01-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Administrator

I wish there were an article about fiber on the main site.

Oh wait...