BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-12-2010, 11:09 AM

Default New Guy, which book to buy?

hello, whoever is out there, and lyle.

first off I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section, etc. I didn't know if I should just post it near the books, and I didn't want to troll up a book discussion, so here I am.

Also, apologize if there is a forum etc. thread where one has already asked this, I did the search and scrolled through a few stickies, didn't see anything like this question anywhere?

Question: My goals are to simply be conditioned(as to not be a fat, well, u know the second word) and to be/get strong, learn more about the bodies' physiology, and eventually base (in about a year or so) my diet around sometype of "bodybuilding" etc.

Which of lyle's books should I purchase that revolve around this goal?

Last edited by BTST : 12-12-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Oh wow, just found the book reviews; more hw to do

Posts are still appreciated.
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:45 AM

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/store

The descriptions should tell you all you need to know.

But I would recommend flexible dieting as a good place to start.
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:54 AM

I would second that recommendation. A Guide to Flexible Dieting is the place to start then you can branch out into UD2, RFL, IF, EOD diet, etc. Flexible Dieting is the way you should be eating most of the time and is the diet you will need if your training doesn't fit the more specialized diets (for example, you are doing a lot of endurance training).
Unread 12-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Alright, thank you, I just looked over the reviews and figured I'd get The Protein Book as well, anyone see that as innapropriate or a book i should start with before reading that one as well?
Unread 12-12-2010, 12:03 PM

I third the recommendation. A Guide to Flexible Dieting is probably Lyle's most useful book for general health.

Because to make any diet work, you have to be flexible in it. What's the point of rapid fat loss, or the ultimate diet if you can't stick to it and gain the weight back?

My advice: Get the flexible diet book. Discover what maintenance is and become good at it. Learn what hunger feels like and how to eat just enough to avoid it. While doing maintenance, start basic exercise. Depending on your goals, 3 days a week of light cardio and 3 days a week of beginning weightlifting would be a good place to start.

Just from doing that you should notice some improvements.

After that, you should have enough knowledge and willpower to know which way you'd like to continue.
Unread 12-12-2010, 03:34 PM

I fourth it.
The book descriptions on site are good. Read some of the articles also - lots of learning to be done there (look out for the beginner stuff).
I think, from what you talk about in your post - you will need more than flexible dieting for your goals......but you'll be covered with a good base diet if you get that one, and learn good stuff!
Unread 12-12-2010, 05:03 PM

If you're looking for more physiology stuff, the protein book and the keto book are must reads. The bromo booklet also covers a lot about bodyweight regulation (leptin) too. They're quite technical, but cover literally everything there is to know on the topics of protein and low carb diets. If you don't want to jump into the deep end, flex dieting is a good start, but if you've read RFL, listened to lyle's interviews and read most of the main site articles, there's not much more to it than that, but for a beginner it's a must-read. From Alan Aragon, I really liked his Girth Control book. Again, not for the rank novice who's looking for some really basic dieting strategies, but for someone who knows the basics and wants some more advanced stuff it's great.
Unread 12-12-2010, 06:38 PM

Yeah, I'm not a "novice", ive been reading his sites almost compulsively for the past four months or so, but I wouldn't mind workin my way up, I'd plan to just buy all his books over time anyways out of respect, so then maybe;

1)Flexible Guide to Dieting
2)The Protein Book
3) Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
4) Bromocriptine

(read em in that order) course after that I'd probably be able (after meaning after applying and experiencing the knowledge in those books) to just buy whatever of his books specifically apply to me.

Thanks popup etc. for the comments, greatly appreciated!
Unread 12-12-2010, 07:30 PM

No worries, that order looks good, but I might save bromo for last, and bump the keto book a bit higher up on the list, I think it's Lyle's best book (along with the protein book) but because it's old and not as sexy as UD2 and RFL I think a lot of people overlook it. It is also the book that talks about training more than the other books of his that I have, altho I don't have all of them yet. So yeah, maybe put the keto book at number 4.